Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980) (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Who is the contact at the Standard Catalog of Baseball cards (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=173245)

darkhorse9 07-30-2013 11:39 AM

Who is the contact at the Standard Catalog of Baseball cards

...now that Bob Lemke has retired. Used to be one could contact him and discuss corrections to the book.

Who does one go to now to make corrections to sets?

Do they even care?

Paul S 07-30-2013 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darkhorse9 (Post 1164659)
...now that Bob Lemke has retired. Used to be one could contact him and discuss corrections to the book.

Who does one go to now to make corrections to sets?

Do they even care?

Krause is the editor. No doubt that he cares

darkhorse9 07-30-2013 01:46 PM

So how does one get in touch with "Krause"?
Do they solicite input from the public?

ALR-bishop 07-30-2013 01:46 PM

Scd

Try Tom Bartsch, Editor of SCD-- Tom.Bartsch@fwmedia.com. They have a web site with contact info.

But they may not publish another book, and the last volume did not list anything post 1980

There is a thread on CU by a couple of guys a few months back who had some luck getting him to consider some additional variation listings, maybe for a on line update

Rich Klein 07-30-2013 02:04 PM

I've written and posted about this before

But F&W, for correct corporate reasons but bad hobby reasons really flubbed with what they did with the SC. I'll try for a future Rich's Ramblings to lay out my case one more time, and how it messed up the SC going forward

Rich

216Stitches 07-31-2013 10:39 AM

I have been thinking about buying a Standard Catalog lately, but haven't pulled the trigger because I'm not sure which of the more recent editions is the best representation of the series. I'm hesitant to buy the most recent versions because I'm getting the impression that they dropped the ball somehow (I'm eager to read the Rich's Ramblings that addresses this subject, btw).

I'm mostly interested in vintage, but wouldn't mind a guide to the recent stuff as well. Which would be best for me?

ALR-bishop 07-31-2013 12:41 PM

Scd

If you get just one get the 2011 20th edition Standard Catalog of Baseball cards, it is huge ( over 1800 pages) but has all the post 1980 cards listed. The last edition which does not have a year on the cover and is called The Standard Catalog of Vintage Baseball cards is only 700 pages but drops all post 1980 listings.

I keep both but mostly use the 20th edition because it lists all Topps issues of any kind by year, which is how I like to access them. The Vintage edition lists each regular Topps set by year, but then lists all the insert and test sets separately and alphabetically, which since some of these issues are referred to by different names, makes it hard to use....for me. I think there were several printing errors as well that seemed to cause Bob Lemke to be less than pleased with how his final edition came out

216Stitches 08-02-2013 11:53 AM

Thanks, Al. I have ordered the 2011 edition and am looking forward to its arrival.