Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Screw Your Gasket (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=260963)

frankbmd 10-13-2018 04:53 PM

Screw Your Gasket

2 Attachment(s)
Whereas screwdown lucite holders may compress cards too much and "squeeze" the corners or damage the surface and,

whereas SGC gaskets, despite being preferred by many collectors, are associated with slippage of thinner cards behind or in front of the gasket in the SGC holder and,

whereas I am not willing to risk a costlier card that I want to display using either of these techniques, I offer the following:

Attachment 331228

Attachment 331229

Save the gaskets when you crack SGC slabs.

Place an appropriate gasket in a screw down lucite holder.

Carefully insert the card without a penny sleeve.

Replace the top of the screw down and tighten the screws as much as you like.

The gasket cannot be compressed. If the card fills the gasket as this one does, it will not slip, move or be compressed.

Hope that some of you may find this useful.

Exhibitman 10-14-2018 07:16 AM

Now I gotta find my old lucite holders...

ALBB 10-14-2018 09:14 AM

gasket

When I use a gasket, I prefer a little slippage :)

barrysloate 10-14-2018 09:28 AM

Never put all your eggs in one gasket.

Leon 10-14-2018 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ALBB (Post 1819646)
When I use a gasket, I prefer a little slippage :)

Speaking of a potential similarity, even if only metaphorically, is he holding a ball in his glove? That is sort of weird, and if so, I never really noticed that before and have owned a least 1-2 of that card over the years. What's old is new...or what I forget is new again :eek:. And back to initial subject, that slabbing looks quite sturdy. If you put a seal around it you could make it waterproof too!!

frankbmd 10-14-2018 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 1819657)
Speaking of a potential similarity, even if only metaphorically, is he holding a ball in his glove? That is sort of weird, and if so, I never really noticed that before and have owned a least 1-2 of that card over the years. What's old is new...or what I forget is new again :eek:. And back to initial subject, that slabbing looks quite sturdy. If you put a seal around it you could make it waterproof too!!

Waterproofing is an excellent idea, Leon. By the way what do you hold in your glove, if not a ball?

Peter_Spaeth 10-14-2018 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankbmd (Post 1819661)
Waterproofing is an excellent idea, Leon. By the way what do you hold in your glove, if not a ball?

It's a gasketball.

Leon 10-14-2018 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankbmd (Post 1819661)

It is the way the mitt is made (1900s period w/ individual fingers) which makes it look a bit strange. I recently bought a new glove so noticed it. Carry on...

brianp-beme 10-15-2018 12:09 AM

Frank could market this encapsulation idea under the name "A Complete Gasket Case".

Brian the Marketing Guru

irv 10-15-2018 02:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by frankbmd (Post 1819538)
Whereas screwdown lucite holders may compress cards too much and "squeeze" the corners or damage the surface and,

whereas SGC gaskets, despite being preferred by many collectors, are associated with slippage of thinner cards behind or in front of the gasket in the SGC holder and,

whereas I am not willing to risk a costlier card that I want to display using either of these techniques, I offer the following:

Attachment 331228

Attachment 331229

Save the gaskets when you crack SGC slabs.

Place an appropriate gasket in a screw down lucite holder.

Carefully insert the card without a penny sleeve.

Replace the top of the screw down and tighten the screws as much as you like.

The gasket cannot be compressed. If the card fills the gasket as this one does, it will not slip, move or be compressed.

Hope that some of you may find this useful.

Good job, Frank, and pretty ingenious.

The only thing different I'd do would be to add some better looking screws. Those standards look too blah for that cube/card. Some nice bronze colored ones that fit flush would look much nicer, imo. :)

frankbmd 10-15-2018 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irv (Post 1819944)
Good job, Frank, and pretty ingenious.

The only thing different I'd do would be to add some better looking screws. Those standards look too blah for that cube/card. Some nice bronze colored ones that fit flush would look much nicer, imo. :)

I am a firm believer in personal preference when choosing screws.

irv 10-16-2018 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankbmd (Post 1819963)
I am a firm believer in personal preference when choosing screws.

:D