Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Ed Kranepool sues Beckett/Goodwin (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=257287)

Peter_Spaeth 07-09-2018 08:15 AM

Ed Kranepool sues Beckett/Goodwin

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...705-story.html

Correction: he didn't actually sue Goodwin personally but the lawsuit focuses on his dealings with Goodwin.

bnorth 07-09-2018 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1793399)
http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...705-story.html

Correction: he didn't actually sue Goodwin personally but the lawsuit focuses on his dealings with Goodwin.

There is a thread in the memorabilia section.
http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=257236

timn1 07-09-2018 08:35 AM

Weird

It’s hard to believe that Kranepool would just make up this whole story out of whole cloth, but also hard to believe that Goodwin could think he could get away with claiming he never saw the jersey. I’m not sure what to think, but I’d be interested to hear everyone’s thoughts.

Peter_Spaeth 07-09-2018 08:46 AM

Beckett has moved to dismiss, relying on the statute of frauds because there (apparently) is no written contract.

nolemmings 07-09-2018 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1793406)
Beckett has moved to dismiss, relying on the statute of frauds because there (apparently) is no written contract.

That should fail, or would here in AZ (part or in this case whole performance). It appears he could also amend to allege conversion as an alternative cause of action--again, he could in AZ. That would allow for a claim of punitive damages.

Peter_Spaeth 07-09-2018 09:15 AM

The complaint begins by claiming conversion of the jersey, but for some reason does not assert it as an actual count. And I agree, I would think Goodwin's (alleged) taking possession of the jersey would take the case out of the statute of frauds which applies to alleged executory contracts as I recall.

Fred 07-09-2018 09:25 AM

What if Ed has pictures of the jersey and can prove he was owner of the jersey until turning it over for auction? Has the AH indicated where the jersey came from? It didn't just appear in thin air. Someone's going to get hosed on this one....:(

timn1 07-09-2018 09:42 AM

jersey has disappeared, hasn't it?

I think the auction house claims it never got the jersey. Where did it go?

oldjudge 07-09-2018 09:48 AM

I have no idea what the truth is in this case, but the story reinforces that when dealing with any auction house have EVERYTHING that is agreed to in writing, and be sure to carefully read the auction house contract and strike out any troubling clauses.

btcarfagno 07-09-2018 10:12 AM

It has been brought up that perhaps the man he gave it to was posing as Goodwin, but was not actually him.

There is also the matter of the $20,000 for the list of former major league players and their contact info. Why would an auction house need or care about that?

It is at least a possibility that Kranepool was the victim of a fraud perpetrated by someone claiming to be Goodwin.

Peter_Spaeth 07-09-2018 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by btcarfagno (Post 1793427)
It has been brought up that perhaps the man he gave it to was posing as Goodwin, but was not actually him.

There is also the matter of the $20,000 for the list of former major league players and their contact info. Why would an auction house need or care about that?

It is at least a possibility that Kranepool was the victim of a fraud perpetrated by someone claiming to be Goodwin.

According to the complaint, Kranepool's business partner Spencer Lader introduced him to Goodwin at a lunch. And the three of them then went to Kranepool's home. It sure doesn't sound like a case of someone posing as Goodwin.

bnorth 07-09-2018 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by btcarfagno (Post 1793427)

How do you think auction houses get all the material they sell? Not all items are offered to them, they go out and look for items to make $ on. Even on this forum there are several members that have ties to auction houses. I know they reach out to people when they post something that they think they can get the owner to consign it to them. You can even look in the BST section and see several wanted posts by dealers/consignors.

I think a list of former MLB players with contact info with items to sell would be worth their time/money.

Leon 07-09-2018 10:30 AM

Was Goodwin wearing a turban?

drcy 07-09-2018 10:34 AM

Assuming every such transaction would involve a contract or form, reminds me when my 81 year old dad and I stopped by Rite Aid to pick up a bottle of wine for my mother. Rite Aid's policy is to card everyone for liquor-- so, in case of dispute, they can testify that their employees card everyone--, so I had them look at my dad's license, so he could tell people he was carded.

oldjudge 07-09-2018 10:45 AM

Peter-Given the alleged facts presented in the News article, isn't it strange that Goodwin is not a party to the suit?

Peter_Spaeth 07-09-2018 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldjudge (Post 1793442)
Peter-Given the alleged facts presented in the News article, isn't it strange that Goodwin is not a party to the suit?

Kranepool's counsel framed his cause of action as breach of contract, and the alleged contract was with Beckett, not with Goodwin individually. That said, it would not surprise me if he amends to add a count for conversion and names Goodwin individually in that count.

Leon 07-09-2018 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1793447)
Kranepool's counsel framed his cause of action as breach of contract, and the alleged contract was with Beckett, not with Goodwin individually. That said, it would not surprise me if he amends to add a count for conversion and names Goodwin individually in that count.

Lawyer talk gets me all tingly :).

Rich Klein 07-09-2018 11:24 AM

Spencer Lader has his own interesting background:

https://www.leagle.com/decision/1997471172misc2d2991425

https://www.nytimes.com/1985/03/07/n...-lawsuits.html

I suspect there is a LOT more to this than what is covered in a newspaper article.

And Kranepool is beloved in NY plus he needs a new kidney so there is a lot to this story

Regards
Rich

timn1 07-09-2018 12:27 PM

time bomb for Goodwin?

Seems like it could be a time bomb for Goodwin. Haven't there been rumors/grumblings about his practices previously? I don't know any details, just a sense I have.

Tim

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Klein (Post 1793461)
Spencer Lader has his own interesting background:

https://www.leagle.com/decision/1997471172misc2d2991425

https://www.nytimes.com/1985/03/07/n...-lawsuits.html

I suspect there is a LOT more to this than what is covered in a newspaper article.

And Kranepool is beloved in NY plus he needs a new kidney so there is a lot to this story

Regards
Rich

btcarfagno 07-09-2018 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1793430)
According to the complaint, Kranepool's business partner Spencer Lader introduced him to Goodwin at a lunch. And the three of them then went to Kranepool's home. It sure doesn't sound like a case of someone posing as Goodwin.

See Mr. Klein's post below regarding Mr. Lader's fraud history. Very interesting.

btcarfagno 07-09-2018 12:33 PM

Pure speculation here, but what if Mr Lader introduced Kranepool to someone claiming to be Goodwin but was not him? Longshot but it would explain a lot.

Peter_Spaeth 07-09-2018 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by btcarfagno (Post 1793473)
See Mr. Klein's post below regarding Mr. Lader's fraud history. Very interesting.

So maybe Mr. Lader is now defrauding Kranepool? This one certainly will be interesting as it plays out.

There should be a way to verify whether Goodwin was indeed on Long Island on the day in question.

oldjudge 07-09-2018 12:52 PM

Gets more interesting by the minute

Aquarian Sports Cards 07-09-2018 01:10 PM

Ugh, those articles make me want to shower to rinse off the scum.

packs 07-09-2018 02:05 PM

It seems like whoever does actually have the jersey is sitting on a mostly worthless jersey without its association and provenance from Kranepool. How does the owner intend to profit? The story is too widely known now to auction a Mantle jersey and use Kranepool's name to cement provenance, knowing he's suing for half a million.

Peter_Spaeth 07-09-2018 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by btcarfagno (Post 1793474)
Pure speculation here, but what if Mr Lader introduced Kranepool to someone claiming to be Goodwin but was not him? Longshot but it would explain a lot.

The very end of the Daily News article suggests that Lader (as well as a third person) have their own claims against Beckett for the same conduct. All represented by the same lawyer.

My spider sense is telling me there is more to this story.

BuckiGuy 07-09-2018 06:56 PM

The things greed has done to our hobby..

ramram 07-09-2018 08:05 PM

After reading the articles in Rich’s post I can’t help but think Mr. Lader is going to be the center piece of this controversy.

Rob M

RichardSimon 07-10-2018 07:24 AM

The saddest thing is that Kranepool is in poor health and the stress of this cannot be helping his health issues.

Scocs 07-10-2018 07:50 AM

Why would anyone want Spencer Lader as his business partner?

timn1 07-10-2018 09:41 AM

Goodwin not so good?

+1

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scocs (Post 1793676)
Why would anyone want Spencer Lader as his business partner?

oldjudge 07-10-2018 11:39 AM

If Kranepool had the Mantle jersey for over 50 years, are there any pictures of him with the jersey?

Aquarian Sports Cards 07-10-2018 11:54 AM

Go with me on this one.

Mr Shader introduced Mr. KraNYpool to "Mister Badloss." The parties entered into a verbal agreement because "Mr. Badloss" certainly can't sign anything since his name is actually "Mr Accomplice." When Mr. KraNYpool asks Mr. Shader "What ever happened with my Mantle Jersey?" Mr Shader says he'll look into it. He then informs Mr. KraNYpool that "Mr. Badloss" stole your jersey we had better file suit. Mr KraNYpool does that even though Mr. Shader knows (and is counting on the fact) that they can't win, because he sold the jersey already and the real Mr. Badloss is very honest and convincing when he states that he's never seen said jersey, because he in fact hasn't. When the suit is lost Mr. Shader throws up his hands and tells Mr. KraNYpool, "What can you do? We tried but everyone's out to screw the little guy." Which is, of course, also the truth, in its own way.

The above is a work of fiction and none of the characters are intended to represent any real person alive or dead. Any resemblances are purely coincidental.

packs 07-10-2018 12:14 PM

But how could the jersey ever retain its value without its association with Kranepool? That's what I'm missing here.

nolemmings 07-10-2018 12:22 PM

I've now read the Complaint, which does appear to spell out the elements of conversion, and even makes allegations typical of a case seeking punitive damages, although none are part of the prayer for relief. Strangely, the heading of Count One is "Breach of Contract--Lader Consignment Agreements", but no such agreements are described; instead and again, a claim for conversion is alleged. Headings are not themselves allegations, so I would argue the conversion claim is already asserted, which of course is unaffected by any statute of frauds contract defense (although the drafting appears sloppy and amendment may be needed).

Interestingly, the Complaint alleges that Goodwin texted Lader on January 10, 2017, acknowledging that the jersey had passed the authentication process with flying colors. If this text can be verified as coming from Goodwin, he's got some 'splainin to do.

Peter_Spaeth 07-10-2018 12:30 PM

18-21 alleges an oral consignment agreement but it is weird that it doesn't spell out any terms whatever.

oldjudge 07-10-2018 12:37 PM

A more basic question--is there any proof that the jersey ever existed?

nolemmings 07-10-2018 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldjudge (Post 1793739)
A more basic question--is there any proof that the jersey ever existed?

Well, if this alleged text message from Goodwin is genuine, the question appears answered. I also assume there is some photographic or other evidence of the uniform and that sometime over the past 50 years Kranepool showed it to others, who would testify to that effect.

Peter_Spaeth 07-10-2018 01:00 PM

If Goodwin had in fact taken the jersey, you would think he would have also taken photos/video of Kranepool with it, obtained a letter and/or video of provenance from him, etc. Perhaps he did and the Complaint just does not describe those details.

Aquarian Sports Cards 07-10-2018 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by packs (Post 1793734)
But how could the jersey ever retain its value without its association with Kranepool? That's what I'm missing here.

People own stolen art that can't be publicly acknowledged or resold rendering it essentially worthless. People are weird.

Peter_Spaeth 07-10-2018 02:27 PM

The plot thickens.

It appears Goodwin previously auctioned items from the Ed Kranepool collection. Now if I can only get the link right.

http://www.goodwinandco.com/catalog....ool&searchby=3

I just noticed that none appeared to sell.

ls7plus 07-10-2018 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1793410)
The complaint begins by claiming conversion of the jersey, but for some reason does not assert it as an actual count. And I agree, I would think Goodwin's (alleged) taking possession of the jersey would take the case out of the statute of frauds which applies to alleged executory contracts as I recall.

Yes, Kranepool's part performance by delivering the jersey (his affidavit of doing so should be sufficient to defeat a motion for summary disposition) would take it out of the statute of frauds requiring agreements relating to the sale of goods over $500 to be in writing.

Further, I've personally had numerous dealings with Bill Goodwin over the years, both consigning and buying, and have always found him to be straightforward, honest, and above board.

Best wishes,

Larry

nolemmings 07-10-2018 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1793760)
The plot thickens.

It appears Goodwin previously auctioned items from the Ed Kranepool collection. Now if I can only get the link right.

http://www.goodwinandco.com/catalog....ool&searchby=3

I just noticed that none appeared to sell.

In the words of Artie Johnson, "Verrrry interesting".

Exhibitman 07-10-2018 03:01 PM

"Obtained directly from former New York Mets’ first baseman Ed Kranepool is the glove he used during the Miracle Mets improbable, unthinkable World Championship in 1969 over the mighty Baltimore Orioles."

nolemmings 07-10-2018 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exhibitman (Post 1793775)
"Obtained directly from former New York Mets’ first baseman Ed Kranepool is the glove he used during the Miracle Mets improbable, unthinkable World Championship in 1969 over the mighty Baltimore Orioles."

Exactly. Pretty much establishes the parties had some sort of contractual relationship. Begs the question as to whether there was a written consignment contract for these items and if so, why the jersey was not included, unless it was to be the subject of a separate or subsequent agreement, perhaps pending authentication or other conditions.

Peter_Spaeth 07-10-2018 03:15 PM

Just a guess that Lader is Kranepool's "business partner" in the sense of being an agent selling his memorabilia, not in the more general sense of the word. Just a guess.

CW 07-10-2018 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ls7plus (Post 1793763)
Yes, Kranepool's part performance by delivering the jersey (his affidavit of doing so should be sufficient to defeat a motion for summary disposition) would take it out of the statute of frauds requiring agreements relating to the sale of goods over $500 to be in writing.

Further, I've personally had numerous dealings with Bill Goodwin over the years, both consigning and buying, and have always found him to be straightforward, honest, and above board.

Best wishes,

Larry

When you consigned items to Bill, did you have to sign any type of contract? Was anything put in writing on any or all of those occasions? Just curious.

Aquarian Sports Cards 07-10-2018 03:36 PM

I've sold one item with Bill under $500 and still signed a contract.

Leon 07-10-2018 03:55 PM

When Bill advertised on this site I gave him a few consignments and always got a receipt, FWIW.....

LL

sycks22 07-10-2018 04:07 PM

I've consigned probably over 20 cards to Bill over the years and never once did I sign a contract.