Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Did I make a tactical grading mistake with an autographed card? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=257211)

brianp-beme 07-07-2018 11:55 AM

Did I make a tactical grading mistake with an autographed card?

I am not a collector of autographs. But I did have a vintage one in my collection that I wanted to be authenticated/encapsulated. I got the card back from PSA and they authenticated and graded the signature. Everything good so far.

Here is my question. Evidently when I was submitting, being unfamiliar with the grading of cards with signatures, I did not request the card to be graded. What I received on the label does not indicate that it is an authentic 1929 Zeenut card, but instead just as 'Trading Card'. Will the fact that it is not identified on the label as an authentic 1929 Zeenut card hurt the value and diminish bidding activity if I were to send it to an auction house? Would collectors believe it to be a reprint?

Brian

Bestdj777 07-07-2018 12:28 PM

Ehh, people have made worse mistakes. If it's real though, it's real. And, I can't imagine that there are many-if any-players that appeared in that set that lived to the reprint era.

brianp-beme 07-07-2018 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bestdj777 (Post 1792923)
Ehh, people have made worse mistakes. If it's real though, it's real. And, I can't imagine that there are many-if any-players that appeared in that set that lived to the reprint era.

The card is 100% authentic. I thought that I was just not getting the card with a numerical grade, as it does not have a coupon and is lower (but decent) condition, and that it might not get anything higher than an authentic. The player lived into the 1980's, and the signature is with a black sharpie, so definitely signed later in life.

Brian

swarmee 07-07-2018 04:30 PM

Not a tactical mistake. Their blue flips no longer designate the card. If you want to add the card grading or authentication, it's not much more. But I don't think it will affect the sales price much.

drcy 07-07-2018 05:15 PM

You wouldn't have been the only one. I don't follow the blue/red flips, but would have assumed, grade or not, that the card would be listed on the flip. Obviously, that would have been my ignorance not their fault-- bit it would be nice to have the card listed on the label.

Duly note that if you do consign it through one of the big auction houses they will list it as and testify that is an authentic Zeenut and that should suffice for sale. If REA or whomever says the card itself is authentic, that will be enough for buyers.

pokerplyr80 07-07-2018 07:04 PM

If it were my card I'd probably send it back and get it in a red flip. Especially if it will get a numerical card grade above authentic.

JustinD 07-07-2018 07:21 PM

I admit, this thread just taught me the difference between red and blue flips. Never had a clue.

Republicaninmass 07-07-2018 07:48 PM

Red flips can be added to the PSA set registry, blue flips cannot.

The registry is a powerful drug

swarmee 07-07-2018 08:24 PM

Red Flips: Card is authentic or graded, and PSA/DNA has certified the autograph. Auto could also be graded through newish "Dual Authentication" program. Red flips can be used in autograph sets on the PSA Set Registry side, like 1952 Topps Autographed or 1933 Goudey autographed. However, they cannot be used in the regular 1952 Topps set or player sets since the original card wasn't autographed.

Blue Flips: Only auto is authenticated. Can only be used in PSA/DNA Set Registry for "auto on any medium."

pokerplyr80 07-07-2018 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustinD (Post 1793040)
I admit, this thread just taught me the difference between red and blue flips. Never had a clue.

The red flips on signed cards are relatively new. Maybe the last year or so.

JustinD 07-07-2018 11:40 PM

I would imagine the red option is to provide an option for factory signed cards to be guaranteed and be placed in registry as well.

The amount of fake autos they have slabbed in the past and fallen back on the " we are grading the card, DNA services need to be selected to analyze the auto" argument was absurd with some issues. I wouldn't trust any rookie premier autos they slabbed ever.

philliesphan 07-08-2018 08:27 AM

Unless it is Lefty Gomez or Ernie Lombardi, I think you're fine.

Most Zeenut collectors will recognize it for what it is, and but for a handful of stars, etc., there's a very small cohort of collectors that would pay a significant premium for an autographed Zeenut. Perhaps if the player passed away decades ago, but I'd leave it as is, as I take from your original message that you got it graded for your own collection vs. specific resale purposes.

m

drcy 07-08-2018 10:12 AM

I would imagine a lot of autographs are on cards of no value or importance (TMCA, reprints, 1991 Donruss), so the blue option.

MacDice 07-09-2018 08:17 PM

Would like to see the card can you post a picture

brianp-beme 07-11-2018 11:52 AM

Will post a scan in a few days to see what people think.

Brian

ubiqty 07-11-2018 02:34 PM

"Trading card" designation by PSA

I recently found that out too when I sent 28 1941 Play Ball cards in and received that same designation. They charged me $10 each (plus another month of waiting) to redo the flips with 1941 Play Ball on it. Since then they've changed the website slightly to make it clearer but still easy to miss. I have been given numerous different answers by their customer service people. Regarding value, I think it does affect the amount you would receive selling it on ebay. I've paid less for cards labeled "Trading Card" a few times since.
Scott.