Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   First time Grading - Question (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=238150)

TobaccoKing4 04-10-2017 07:36 AM

First time Grading - Question

I submitted a card to be graded in person at the LI Hofstra show. It was/is a 1932 Sanella Ruth. These cards are oversized and more of a thin paper stock than a stiffer cardboard. The only way I could properly store it is in a screw down holder. The representitives at the show didn't say anything when I gave them the card in a screw-down holder but I just read online that they don't grade cards submitted in screw-down holders.

Do they ever make exceptions to that rule in special situations like with the Sanella?

bnorth 04-10-2017 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TobaccoKing4 (Post 1649455)
I submitted a card to be graded in person at the LI Hofstra show. It was/is a 1932 Sanella Ruth. These cards are oversized and more of a thin paper stock than a stiffer cardboard. The only way I could properly store it is in a screw down holder. The representitives at the show didn't say anything when I gave them the card in a screw-down holder but I just read online that they don't grade cards submitted in screw-down holders.

Do they ever make exceptions to that rule in special situations like with the Sanella?

You and the awesome card will be fine. Chances are though you screw down will be thrown in the garbage and not returned to you.

TobaccoKing4 04-10-2017 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bnorth (Post 1649459)
You and the awesome card will be fine. Chances are though you screw down will be thrown in the garbage and not returned to you.

Thank you for your help!

Here's the card in-case anyone wants to see. I'm hoping for at least a 9.

http://i66.tinypic.com/rljlmo.jpg

Timbegs 04-10-2017 08:12 AM

As friendly advice, temper your expectations for the grade to avoid disappointment.

TobaccoKing4 04-10-2017 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timbegs (Post 1649467)
As friendly advice, temper your expectations for the grade to avoid disappointment.

It'll be whatever it'll be. My life happiness isn't dependent on the grade this card gets but I do feel it deserves a 9.

bobbyw8469 04-10-2017 08:14 AM

The screw down holder might have damaged the card. I hate for you to get your hopes up, but the card will be extremely lucky to get a numeric grade at all.

PS - I am surprised they took the card. YOU were the one responsible for getting the card out of the holder and putting it into a card saver IV (or larger, as I'm not familiar with the issue).

TobaccoKing4 04-10-2017 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 (Post 1649471)
The screw down holder might have damaged the card. I hate for you to get your hopes up, but the card will be extremely lucky to get a numeric grade at all.

I never knew that was a possibility. What do suspect would be the reason for not getting a # grade? I'll update with results when I get the card back but it won't be for about another month.

bobbyw8469 04-10-2017 08:16 AM

I believe the holder damages the card stock and PSA always returns them as (ALTERED STOCK).

TobaccoKing4 04-10-2017 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 (Post 1649473)
I believe the holder damages the card stock and PSA always returns them as (ALTERED STOCK).

I did some quick research after you told me about this and it seems like PSA considers it altered stock because the pressure from the screw down holder flattens out the cardboard stock which they consider altered. Hopefully since this is more of a paper stock and not a cardboard stock it won't be flattened out by the screw-down.

bnorth 04-10-2017 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TobaccoKing4 (Post 1649472)
I never knew that was a possibility. What do suspect would be the reason for not getting a # grade? I'll update with results when I get the card back but it won't be for about another month.

Who did you send it in to? I know SGC and Beckett was there but I don't think PSA was. If it was SGC email Matt with any worries and he will quickly take care of it for you.

I would not worry about the altered stock because it is such a thin card to begin with. That is more for regular cards that have been smashed for several years(decades).

TobaccoKing4 04-10-2017 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bnorth (Post 1649477)
Who did you send it in to? I know SGC and Beckett was there but I don't think PSA was. If it was SGC email Matt with any worries and he will quickly take care of it for you.

I would not worry about the altered stock because it is such a thin card to begin with. That is more for regular cards that have been smashed for several years(decades).

I submitted it to SGC. Not sure what he could do at this point, it's either going to grade out with a # or it won't. Thank you for your help though, the whole grading element of card collecting is new for me.

steve B 04-10-2017 05:15 PM

I think it'll be just fine. Probably not a 9 but fine anyway. I've sent a few in in toploaders which they also don't like, since I don't use cardsavers and have to save them up from stuff I bought. Didn't have a problem, and didn't get the toploaders back. Not a big deal since they were also used ones with old price stickers, yellowing etc.

I didn't send any in in the toploader/mylar sleeve combo, as the mylar had sealed itself to the toploaders and I had to cut the card out. Figured that would really bug them as it was a lot of extra work.

Steve B

swarmee 04-10-2017 05:19 PM

I'm hoping this brick was not recessed. Otherwise that could put surface impressions in your card. I would kind of expect a 92 SGC 8.5 for this card, if the top right corner has the feathering it sort of looks like to me, and the nick on the top left side is just a scratch on the screwdown.

TobaccoKing4 04-10-2017 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swarmee (Post 1649692)
I'm hoping this brick was not recessed. Otherwise that could put surface impressions in your card. I would kind of expect a 92 SGC 8.5 for this card, if the top right corner has the feathering it sort of looks like to me, and the nick on the top left side is just a scratch on the screwdown.

I've looked over the card a lot of times before submitting it and there is no nick on the top left side, I'm sure it's just a scratch on the screwdown. I wouldn't mind a SGC 92!

Leon 04-11-2017 10:22 AM

You might get one (92) but odds aren't in your favor. Cross your fingers. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by TobaccoKing4 (Post 1649743)
I've looked over the card a lot of times before submitting it and there is no nick on the top left side, I'm sure it's just a scratch on the screwdown. I wouldn't mind a SGC 92!

TobaccoKing4 04-11-2017 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 1649895)
You might get one (92) but odds aren't in your favor. Cross your fingers. :)

I'm hoping you're wrong but I'm sure you are more experienced with grading than I am so you're probably right. I do think the card looks sharper and better in person than what shows on the scan though.

Leon 04-14-2017 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TobaccoKing4 (Post 1649945)
I'm hoping you're wrong but I'm sure you are more experienced with grading than I am so you're probably right. I do think the card looks sharper and better in person than what shows on the scan though.

Let us know, it should be interesting. I am hoping you are correct. They do give out high grades but they seem to be to others and not me!!

bobbyw8469 04-14-2017 10:40 AM

In the future, STAY AWAY FROM BRICKS!!! I understand you want to keep the card protected, but they make Card Savers in all various sizes.

TobaccoKing4 04-14-2017 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 1650776)
Let us know, it should be interesting. I am hoping you are correct. They do give out high grades but they seem to be to others and not me!!

Ended up only getting a 60. While I'm not surprised that it didn't get a 92, I do think it was graded a bit on the low side. There is a little ink mark on the back of the card so maybe that dragged it down?

toledo_mudhen 04-15-2017 03:36 AM

A 5 coming back from SGC on an otherwise great card is almost always due to a wrinkle or crease. Even those you cant see with naked eye - been there several times and if you look hard enough (magnify) you should find it.

80/20 or better centering, minor rounding or fuzzing of corners, roughness or chipping along edge (no layering), one VERY slight surface or "spider" crease may exist on one side of the card, gloss may be lost from surface with some scratching that does not detract from the aesthetics of the card.

Ink/Pencil usually drops the card lower than 60.

Timbegs 04-15-2017 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TobaccoKing4 (Post 1650843)
Ended up only getting a 60. While I'm not surprised that it didn't get a 92, I do think it was graded a bit on the low side. There is a little ink mark on the back of the card so maybe that dragged it down?

There are so many things it could be (without or with card in hand, it was still be hard to tell. And, we have all been there. I didn't mean your world would cave in - just that grading companies are, as a general rule, very tough on cards and use more sophisticated techniques and tools than the averag Joe does...

If you are curious, most of the time the guys at SGC will walk you through their explanation of the grade if you call. The flaws they identified and the rationale behind it.

Beautiful card; enjoy it...

Leon 04-18-2017 11:51 AM

Not surprised. I have been disappointed more times than happy. Maybe our expectations are too high? I guess that is what makes the true high grade cards so valuable. But it can still suck hoping for a 7-8.5 and getting a 5. Been there done that, more than once.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TobaccoKing4 (Post 1650843)

bnorth 04-18-2017 04:52 PM

They are super tough on the 32 Sanella. With the thin paper they wrinkle super easy. I looked at the pop report and there are only 2 graded higher than an SGC 80 out of 191 submitted.

TobaccoKing4 04-20-2017 06:57 PM

I got the card in today and unfortunately it seems like they did a poor job of cutting out the insert and part of the card was damaged inside the holder :(

I'm guessing this is what caused the drop in the grade.

TobaccoKing4 04-22-2017 07:13 AM

Here is a picture of the damage that it got because of the holder: I believe this is what caused it to get graded a 60.

http://i67.tinypic.com/35b5qur.jpg

bnorth 04-22-2017 07:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TobaccoKing4 (Post 1653177)
Here is a picture of the damage that it got because of the holder: I believe this is what caused it to get graded a 60.

http://i67.tinypic.com/35b5qur.jpg

Pretty sure they are assigned a grade before they are put in the slab so that was not why it received the grade it did.