Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present) (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   wowzers Jeter sold on ebay (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=274377)

smrtn240 10-05-2019 06:37 AM

wowzers Jeter sold on ebay

crazy money for that card
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1993-SP-Der...p2047675.l2557

swarmee 10-05-2019 07:05 AM

Wow, nothing suspicious at all about that listing...
1) Seller Feedback (2)
2) Private Listing: Bidders Identities Hidden - protects shill bidders
3) Local pickup or hand delivery by seller only
4) Broken English in two sentence description
5) Top right corner of slab looks damaged; flip possibly replaced? Quarter covering up same corner on back image.
6) And of course, card looks short in holder. So I check it out using the cert verification and...
Quote:

Notice from PSA Management
If you own the item with this certification number, please contact Jackie Curiel at 949-567-1254 for an important message

You entered: #11132035

ullmandds 10-05-2019 08:30 AM

even if the end results arent real...who in their right mind is even paying anywhere near this for a modern common card??????

maniac_73 10-05-2019 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swarmee (Post 1921466)
Wow, nothing suspicious at all about that listing...
1) Seller Feedback (2)
2) Private Listing: Bidders Identities Hidden - protects shill bidders
3) Local pickup or hand delivery by seller only
4) Broken English in two sentence description
5) Top right corner of slab looks damaged; flip possibly replaced? Quarter covering up same corner on back image.
6) And of course, card looks short in holder. So I check it out using the cert verification and...

Crazy to me how much some modern cards go for. Mike Trout Topps update prime example. Wonder if the value holds for these in the long term

3-2-count 10-05-2019 09:01 AM

Vintage (prewar) collectors like ourselves tend to forget that there is a market out there far bigger than ours who are passionate and collect modern cards.

The Jeter SP rookie has been climbing in value for years. Per Psa's pop report there are only (22) that reside in a 10 slab.

Modern isn't something which I collect, but I have many friends in the hobby who do.

WillBBC 10-07-2019 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ullmandds (Post 1921479)
even if the end results arent real...who in their right mind is even paying anywhere near this for a modern common card??????

I've owned at least a dozen 1993 SP Jeters. There is nothing common about a 10. Grading is another conversation, but to have a flawless version of this card is a dream of most Jeter collectors--and let me tell you...there is a boatload of us!

pokerplyr80 10-07-2019 09:32 PM

Quote:

That's not a modern common card. It's Jeter's most popular rookie card. And he's the most popular player of the Era as far as the hobby is concerned. The card has broken 6 figures before I believe, even if this auction was BS.

The entire set is very condition sensitive and 10s are almost impossible to get, especially if untrimmed.

toad strangler 10-21-2019 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3-2-count (Post 1921484)
Vintage (prewar) collectors like ourselves tend to forget that there is a market out there far bigger than ours who are passionate and collect modern cards.

The Jeter SP rookie has been climbing in value for years. Per Psa's pop report there are only (22) that reside in a 10 slab.

Modern isn't something which I collect, but I have many friends in the hobby who do.

Modern is huge. I don't collect much of it either, at least what I consider modern, but that market is huge. I certainly wouldn't dismiss it.

Marckus99 10-21-2019 01:54 PM

Yeah, only “twenty-two” in a “10” slab.

How many Voskamp’s Coffee are in ANY slab?

Right, because you don’t know about Voskamp’s do you......
Or Gilmartin Printing? Maybe Homestead Franks?

Besides, Jeter sucked. Could barely turn on a major league fast ball.

- M.

rjackson44 10-24-2019 10:20 AM

Quote:

nobody

Gary Dunaier 10-26-2019 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marckus99 (Post 1925289)
How many Voskamp’s Coffee are in ANY slab?

Right, because you don’t know about Voskamp’s do you......

Never heard of them. Is their coffee better than Starbucks? :D