Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   PSA 8 T206 Honus Wagner currently missing from Pop Report (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=271059)

Peter_Spaeth 07-10-2019 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drcy (Post 1897600)
I actually think the card's value will go down in value with time. The notoriety and famous history is part of the mystique, but so was that it was the "highest grade Wagner."

Its value has shot straight up despite everyone including every purchaser since Copeland knowing it was sheet cut and trimmed. Kendrick could flip it now for 3x what he paid I bet.

glchen 07-10-2019 12:12 PM

Looks like the PSA 8 is back in the pop report again.

benjulmag 07-10-2019 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1897603)
Its value has shot straight up despite everyone including every purchaser since Copeland knowing it was sheet cut and trimmed. Kendrick could flip it now for 3x what he paid I bet.

Not sure that is entirely accurate. Certainly there were those accusations, which PSA was vigorously denying. I have heard that David Hall at one of PSA's annual gatherings for their top customers made an impassioned defense of the accuracy of the "8' grade, arguing that because those doubters haven't seen the card out of the slab as he had, his opinion should carry the most weight.

So now if in fact the card is re holdered as an "A" AND SOLD WITH THAT LABEL ON IT, IMO that is a materially different fact circumstance and I would be hesitant to predict the outcome. Accompanying this scenario would be as time went on there will be less talk of it being the highest graded Wagner. So even if it did hold its value today, that does not necessarily portend what its value might be in the future.

Peter_Spaeth 07-10-2019 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by benjulmag (Post 1897608)
Not sure that is entirely accurate. Certainly there were those accusations, which PSA was vigorously denying. I have heard that David Hall at one of PSA's annual gatherings for their top customers made an impassioned defense of the accuracy of the "8' grade, arguing that because those doubters haven't seen the card out of the slab as he had, his opinion should carry the most weight.

So now if in fact the card is re holdered as an "A" AND SOLD WITH THAT LABEL ON IT, IMO that is a materially different fact circumstance and I would be hesitant to predict the outcome. Accompanying this scenario would be as time went on there will be less talk of it being the highest graded Wagner. So even if it did hold its value today, that does not necessarily portend what its value might be in the future.

I would bet anything Gidwitz (spelling?), Siegel and Kendrick and anyone else I have left out knew very well what the deal was. Maybe the general public didn't entirely but so what. It's "The Card." It's infamous.

PolarBear 07-10-2019 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1897589)
In my opinion most or all of the value now is in the card's notoriety. I don't think putting it in an AUTH flip would matter.

Agreed. I think this particular card transcends the holder.

perezfan 07-10-2019 12:36 PM

Yes the card has achieved notoriety that transcends the assigned grade. But aside from its real or imaginary monetary value, PSA built its entire foundation on a Sheet-Cut Card that was improperly assigned a numerical grade.

They could actually restore credibility and confidence by correcting their epic mistake. But as evidenced in post #1 of the linked BO thread, they will not do so...

https://www.blowoutforums.com/showthread.php?t=1302161

The response from Steve Sloan might be even more smug and less honest than his infamous Letter, which assumes no responsibility or accountability for PSA’s hundreds of missed alterations (which continue to pour in).

Sloan states that “No change to the population report is necessary”... despite Mastro admitting under oath that he trimmed the card. How any company can thrive (or even survive) with that tragic level of honesty, integrity, and lack of customer service is beyond me. I guess money really does trump everything, including conclusive proof and simply doing what’s right.

atx840 07-10-2019 12:47 PM

Can't recall why I made this years ago but here it is.

https://i.imgur.com/NsgkfiK.jpg

benjulmag 07-10-2019 12:53 PM

The "8" on the holder is part and parcel of the card's notoriety. Replace that with an "A", you have a different product. We are in a hobby where form trumps substance. How many of the people who own 8's, 9's and 10's care if the card is trimmed as long as they have the almighty slab telling them and everybody who will listen to them what they want to hear? IMO nobody is going to consider paying $10M for the card re holdered as an "A". Imagine that were to happen and the next time the person shows it off to his high heeled friends at a cocktail party some guest in a loud voice asks what is so special about a card graded an "A"? I'd love to be a fly on the wall to see the reaction on the card owner's face in that instance.

I believe the value of this card is a package deal where the number on the flip is part of the package.

perezfan 07-10-2019 01:10 PM

Great insight Corey....

But it still needs to be changed!

tedzan 07-10-2019 02:50 PM

Deleted

Deleted.

1952boyntoncollector 07-11-2019 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darwinbulldog (Post 1897566)
And I wonder how many people have started buying up PSA A cards this summer, realizing the cards are frequently identical in condition to those that sell for 100x as much.

id actually rather have touched up A card with white borders and looks not trimmed even if trimmed and not creased up versus a lot of PSA 1s that are all beat up and tangled up and creased

Lots of A cards do sell more for '1's and '2's