Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   New Year's Resolutions…Pile Them On!! (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=215914)

JollyElm 12-31-2015 01:35 PM

New Year's Resolutions…Pile Them On!!

With 2016 looming, I figured it's time to state what resolutions you think this site should incorporate to make the New Year much better. I'll start with a few, but feel free to throw in your ideas as well. I know it may sound angry (ha ha), but please take it in good fun...

1. For the love of God, on the post-war side STOP making every single post, every single thread, every single comment about Mickey freakin' Mantle, for cripes sake!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You might have noticed that there have actually been other people who played major league baseball since 1945.
And when you do mention the Mick, at least be honest about it. His cards are the most valuable around. That's it. That's the reason you collect him, right??!! How many of you (I know, I know. This is where a couple of people will chime in to say that they are actually big fans of him, but save it!!) would give one crap about Mickey Mantle if his cards weren't such profit generators?????

2. Stop using the word "iconic" to describe cards. It's usually the very same people describing said Mickey Mantle cards who automatically throw this ridiculously overused word into the mix, I guess to show us how smart they are?? I dunno. Here's an idea. Click on thesaurus.com, expand your vocabulary and find other words you can use, yes?

3. Stop using the term "Thanks for sharing." It is tantamount to people who now automatically say, "I'm sorry for your loss" to a bereaved person, as if they read that phrase in some 'death for beginners' book. Why in heck don't these people just say, "I'm really sorry." Why do they mechanically add "for your loss"???
If you like what someone posted here, say something like, "Hey, that's very cool! Awesome!" Leave the dumbass, robotic "Thanks for sharing" portion off!!!!!!!!!!

;):mad::cool::rolleyes:

brob28 12-31-2015 02:23 PM

Interesting thoughts, thanks for sharing.

Don't get mad Darren it's not 2016 yet. ;):D

h2oya311 12-31-2015 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brob28 (Post 1486469)

bwahahaha!

JollyElm 12-31-2015 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brob28 (Post 1486469)

That statement is iconic…like my Mickey Mantle cards.

Snapolit1 12-31-2015 03:18 PM

I'm already beyond sick of the obligatory language in every sale that the card was graded harshly, could be submitted for a bump, etc. If that
was the case I'm sure you would have done it months ago.

kkkkandp 12-31-2015 03:58 PM

: )

1 Attachment(s)

iowadoc77 12-31-2015 04:07 PM

Selling

This is a tough one because all my cards are Mickey Mantle. They are all iconic. I lost them all in a fire so you should all be sorry for my loss. They were all harshly under graded, under valued, and under appreciated. They deserved at least a full grade bump.

None of that is true. But hopefully I covered all the bases

JollyElm 12-31-2015 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iowadoc77 (Post 1486495)
This is a tough one because all my cards are Mickey Mantle. They are all iconic. I lost them all in a fire so you should all be sorry for my loss. They were all harshly under graded, under valued, and under appreciated. They deserved at least a full grade bump.

None of that is true. But hopefully I covered all the bases

Thank you for…well…sharing.

Leon 01-02-2016 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JollyElm (Post 1486504)
Thank you for…well…sharing.

My New Years resolution has always been to not have one. I have always kept it too. Other than that, franks for sharing (is that better?)

Brian Van Horn 01-02-2016 06:32 PM

Resolution: Get over the cold I picked up this morning just in time for nephew's wedding. I think I'm allergic to marriage.

ALR-bishop 01-03-2016 07:29 AM

Resolution

To better grok the terms "wicked"' "stupid" and "off the charts" tough

Buythatcard 01-03-2016 09:05 AM

My New Year's Resolution is to start posting names of Non Payers.

brian1961 01-04-2016 12:31 PM

As much as it seems to frustrate you, when Mickey Mantle baseball cards are discussed, all sorts of collectors chime in with a variety of responses.

When Dean Chance passed away last year, there were but a few of us who had something to say. There was a rousing discussion going on last fall in the WATERCOOLER TALK ABOUT WHO IS MORE FAMOUS---HACK WILSON OR NELLIE FOX.

So-a, who would you like for us to discuss, anyway? Name three players that you would dearly love to see threads of? In fact, Jolly 'Ol Elm, why not intiate all three yourself? Just please keep the player in his appropriate section, and I will endeavor to chime in with something, and not mention The Commerce Comet, leaving him for all the other threads!:rolleyes:

I'm quite restricted now on the kind of cardboard I can buy. So, my responses come from being in the hobby since roughly 1961, pulling baseball and football cards from wax packs and cellos back in those years, mail ordering baseball and hockey from a pair of venerable trading card dealers, and attending some major shows from 1972 - 1980, and one in 1988.

Remember Jolly, though you hate it, people will respond and start threads about who interests them, and THE MIGHTY MICK continues to be at or near the top. Keep punching regarding the other guys who played.

However, when someone loses someone dear to them, even if we pretty much say the same thing, at least we show that we care. If that bugs you, tough tootzies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ---Brian Powell

iowadoc77 01-04-2016 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brian1961 (Post 1487811)
As much as it seems to frustrate you, when Mickey Mantle baseball cards are discussed, all sorts of collectors chime in with a variety of responses.

When Dean Chance passed away last year, there were but a few of us who had something to say. There was a rousing discussion going on last fall in the WATERCOOLER TALK ABOUT WHO IS MORE FAMOUS---HACK WILSON OR NELLIE FOX.

So-a, who would you like for us to discuss, anyway? Name three players that you would dearly love to see threads of? In fact, Jolly 'Ol Elm, why not intiate all three yourself? Just please keep the player in his appropriate section, and I will endeavor to chime in with something, and not mention The Commerce Comet, leaving him for all the other threads!:rolleyes:

I'm quite restricted now on the kind of cardboard I can buy. So, my responses come from being in the hobby since roughly 1961, pulling baseball and football cards from wax packs and cellos back in those years, mail ordering baseball and hockey from a pair of venerable trading card dealers, and attending some major shows from 1972 - 1980, and one in 1988.

Remember Jolly, though you hate it, people will respond and start threads about who interests them, and THE MIGHTY MICK continues to be at or near the top. Keep punching regarding the other guys who played.

However, when someone loses someone dear to them, even if we pretty much say the same thing, at least we show that we care. If that bugs you, tough tootzies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ---Brian Powell

Well put. And to add... There is never the perfect thing to say, but just saying something is significant when there has been a loss.

JollyElm 01-04-2016 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brian1961 (Post 1487811)

And why do people constantly talk about Mickey Mantle cards, Mr. Tootzies??? Because they are worth so much more money than other cards. That's it. The only reason is money, so I'll be quite happy to read Mantle posts if people were more honest about it. Funny how you completely and utterly ignored that very specific aspect of my post as you wrote your BS reply.

brian1961 01-05-2016 12:45 PM

My, your moniker is quite the oxymoron, tisn't it?

You assume the only reason many of us include Mickey Mantle as the basis of threads and in responses to said threads is because of the money. I try to be honest, and I am certain money has a definite part of my 56-year-old interest in baseball cards of The Mick.

I won't weary you with my own feelings for Mickey Mantle; obviously you would not find them endearing.

To assume, however, that his cards are all about money smacks of misguided, biased, and bitter enmity towards Mantle's legions of fans. So, you consider my thread trying to reach out to you and your interests BS? There's no hope for you, oh bitter one. Please, do not answer the questions I thoughtfully asked of you. I am no longer interested in you and what you have to say. I have never uttered such rancid works, and do not enjoy writing them, but the ultra-smelly slipper fits you, unfortunately.

Leon, I tried my best to reach out to him, but ..... I sincerely hope you will not take offense at my words. This will be all from me on this thread.

So long. ---Brian Powell

4815162342 01-05-2016 01:03 PM

Because because because!

Quote:

Originally Posted by JollyElm (Post 1488088)
And why do people constantly talk about Mickey Mantle cards, Mr. Tootzies??? Because they are worth so much more money than other cards. That's it. The only reason is money, so I'll be quite happy to read Mantle posts if people were more honest about it. ...

http://orig15.deviantart.net/2999/f/...is-d5vm1d1.gif

Mickey Mantle cards are popular because Mickey Mantle cards are worth a lot of money because Mickey Mantle cards are popular because Mickey Mantle cards are worth a lot of money because Mickey Mantle cards are popular because Mickey Mantle cards are worth a lot of money because Mickey Mantle cards are popular because Mickey Mantle cards are worth a lot of money because Mickey Mantle cards are popular because Mickey Mantle cards are worth a lot of money because...

or is it

Mickey Mantle cards are worth a lot of money because Mickey Mantle cards are popular because Mickey Mantle cards are worth a lot of money because Mickey Mantle cards are popular because Mickey Mantle cards are worth a lot of money because Mickey Mantle cards are popular because Mickey Mantle cards are worth a lot of money because Mickey Mantle cards are popular because Mickey Mantle cards are worth a lot of money because Mickey Mantle cards are popular because ...

ALR-bishop 01-05-2016 01:24 PM

Circular ?

This is now making me dizzy

JollyElm 01-05-2016 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brian1961 (Post 1488299)
My, your moniker is quite the oxymoron, tisn't it?

You assume the only reason many of us include Mickey Mantle as the basis of threads and in responses to said threads is because of the money. I try to be honest, and I am certain money has a definite part of my 56-year-old interest in baseball cards of The Mick.

I won't weary you with my own feelings for Mickey Mantle; obviously you would not find them endearing.

To assume, however, that his cards are all about money smacks of misguided, biased, and bitter enmity towards Mantle's legions of fans. So, you consider my thread trying to reach out to you and your interests BS? There's no hope for you, oh bitter one. Please, do not answer the questions I thoughtfully asked of you. I am no longer interested in you and what you have to say. I have never uttered such rancid works, and do not enjoy writing them, but the ultra-smelly slipper fits you, unfortunately.

Leon, I tried my best to reach out to him, but ..... I sincerely hope you will not take offense at my words. This will be all from me on this thread.

So long. ---Brian Powell

Oh, Brian 'The Brain' Powell, what a sad, sad figure you are. You take a lighthearted thread and just fill it with your obnoxious thoughts. You ignore how I pointed out that this is meant to be in 'good fun' and every single person who posted before you had some fun with it, with inside jokes and humor, but not you, Brian Powell (See? I, too, can snarkily repeat your name/screen name over and again. But whereas you think it's clever, it's just something a moronic 8 year old would do. Wouldn't you agree?). No, you are seemingly offended by what's written in this thread, BriPow, so let's find a solution.

Why don't you petition Leon to add a new 'safe place' forum for you. Heck, you can even call it 'Brian Powell's Place.' In it, no one will talk about anything that you, Brian Po Po Powell, doesn't agree with. A safe and absolutely humorless place where no one will offend your childish sensibilities. Would that make it better for you, sweet honey bun??

Leon 01-05-2016 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ALR-bishop (Post 1488317)
This is now making me dizzy

Only now? Consider yourself fortunate.
And as for the topic, even though I think the Mick generates buzz by himself, the money aspect of cards is what makes them more interesting to many collectors, myself included. Of course we do it for fun but if literally every card was worth 10 cents we might be in a beanie baby dilemma.

ALR-bishop 01-05-2016 03:42 PM

Collecting

.... not if you are a serious set collector. Just a necessary evil. :)

packs 01-05-2016 03:59 PM

Haha whoops should have read the first post.

NO MORE THREADS ABOUT SCRAPS!