Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Hey, pennant guys (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=183684)

unclebaseballmike 04-09-2015 07:58 PM

Giants Polo Grounds Stadium Sign

1 Attachment(s)
Rob,

I'm pretty sure you're talking about the Giants stadium sign I got in a 1994 Leland's auction. I was the only one who bid -- I was the only one who didn't stop to ask, "What will I do with a 32-foot-long tin sign?"

It sat for a decade in my garage. Once the Giants built a new stadium in 2000, I really thought it should be displayed there. In 2004 I traded with the Giants for a few things.

Sadly, it's 10 years later and they have yet to display the sign in the ballpark. I'll bet more people saw it in my garage.

Scott Garner 04-10-2015 04:29 AM

Mike,
Wow, that's too funny! I love it!

When the Texas Rangers tore down old Arlington Stadium, there was a 20' x 8' mural of Ryan that hung on the outside of the stadium. I wanted to buy that damn thing when it came up for sale because it was so cool. I just couldn't pull the trigger because I never was able to figure out where I could display it.

Congrats on taking the leap to own it for a while, even if you did let cooler heads prevail.

Teamgluck 04-10-2015 10:53 AM

Wow The Pennant market certainly isn't struggling

http://www.hugginsandscott.com/cgi-b...l?itemid=83127
http://www.hugginsandscott.com/pl/83...re_orioles.jpg

Mark70Z 04-10-2015 04:13 PM

Baltimore Orioles

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teamgluck (Post 1400115)

That doesn't sound right for this Orioles pennant, does it?!?

lefty147 04-10-2015 05:04 PM

No. That is a crazy high price.

Duluth Eskimo 04-11-2015 08:12 AM

I am pretty sure I remember seeing a clean pennant like that just sell on eBay within the last few months. I thought it ended around $7-800. That is a crazy price, but i am glad to see pennants doing well.

unclebaseballmike 04-11-2015 01:38 PM

Thanks Scott, you feel my pain -- or lack of impulse control!

ooo-ribay 04-11-2015 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lefty147 (Post 1400227)

My word would be similar.....insane!

IMHO, it's a pretty generic looking pennant....from the scroll to the font.

ooo-ribay 04-11-2015 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unclebaseballmike (Post 1400001)
Rob,

I'm pretty sure you're talking about the Giants stadium sign I got in a 1994 Leland's auction. I was the only one who bid -- I was the only one who didn't stop to ask, "What will I do with a 32-foot-long tin sign?"

It sat for a decade in my garage. Once the Giants built a new stadium in 2000, I really thought it should be displayed there. In 2004 I traded with the Giants for a few things.

Sadly, it's 10 years later and they have yet to display the sign in the ballpark. I'll bet more people saw it in my garage.

That's what I had in mind. :p

If you don't want to say, I would totally understand, but I'm wondering what "few things" the Giants gave you in trade...

unclebaseballmike 04-12-2015 12:20 AM

Trading with the Giants

4 Attachment(s)
Rob,

I was gratified to see the Polo Grounds sign used for the 1954 Giants 50th Anniversary Reunion.

The first things I asked the Giants for was a Crazy Crab "game used" costume, and a Barry Bonds game used bat. They said no to both. As I remember, I received an AT&T stadium chair, 2002 WS game used base, SF Giants 40th Anniversary Yearbook original artwork, a couple autographs, and on-field batting practice for me and my brother-in-law. Not bad, and I really wanted the Giants to have the stadium sign.

I seriously downsized the collection about 5 years ago, and many of these things are in other guys' collections now.

Mark70Z 04-12-2015 05:55 PM

Orioles pennant

Quote:

Originally Posted by lefty147 (Post 1400227)

A lot of Orioles pennants in 2013, which included the black and orange variation of the scroll pennant, went for $700. Maybe it's $300, instead of $3000?

ooo-ribay 04-12-2015 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark70Z (Post 1400797)
A lot of Orioles pennants in 2013, which included the black and orange variation of the scroll pennant, went for $700. Maybe it's $300, instead of $3000?

I'd like to know. Then again, the big suction houses almost always seem to get more than an ebay sale. Compared to a similar Giants pennant, $300 is more in line.

Mark70Z 04-13-2015 02:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ooo-ribay (Post 1400817)
I'd like to know. Then again, the big suction houses almost always seem to get more than an ebay sale. Compared to a similar Giants pennant, $300 is more in line.

BUT...The lot of Orioles pennants were in the same auction house, H&S, not eBay. The $300 amount seems to be more in line I'd agree. For 3K I'd sell mine.

perezfan 04-13-2015 10:54 AM

1 Attachment(s)
How come my consignments never do that :confused:

Has anyone here ever seen this Braves Mascot?

perezfan 04-13-2015 10:55 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Or this rare Bum?

ooo-ribay 04-13-2015 01:22 PM

Both are very cool, Mark. What does it say inside the Brooklyn B? "My Fan"?

perezfan 04-13-2015 06:00 PM

Yes Rob... It says "My Fan".

Not sure why, but just another example of something they'd never mass-produce nowadays!

thetahat 04-13-2015 06:55 PM

Mark I own that Braves pennant, mine and yours are the only two I've seen. There's a neat Dodgers pennant I've been looking to buy, it is of the style of the 1948 Braves and Indians league champs pennants, and the 1950 Bronx Bombers and Whiz Kids pennants. I have to try to find a picture. They all are one-color, with league champs written inside a banner along the top edge of the pennant. The Dodgers pennant looks the same, don't think it is dated though, and it also has a unique bum design. Do you know this pennant?

ooo-ribay 04-13-2015 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by perezfan (Post 1401042)
How come my consignments never do that :confused:

Has anyone here ever seen this Braves Mascot?

Is your Braves pennant the standard size? It looks a little "tall" for its length.

lefty147 04-13-2015 08:06 PM

Nice pennants Mark.

Duluth Eskimo 04-13-2015 08:40 PM

I have never seen that Braves pennant, it is obviously very tough. The Dodgers pennant appears to be in the same style as the Yankees 1949 world champs. It appears similar throughout the pennant, but I have never seen that style of mascot. Another very tough style.

perezfan 04-13-2015 08:40 PM

Thanks Mike... Hope all is well!

Rob-
Yes, Braves is normal full-sized (and with no mis-cut). It's probably just the angle at which I snapped the photo.

Greg-
Will get back to you in a minute (need to snap a photo!)

perezfan 04-13-2015 08:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Greg...

Based on your description, I think I have it. Took me forever to find this one, and have never seen one since. Check out the image below... Is that the one?

perezfan 04-13-2015 08:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Better close-up of hitch-hiking Bum...

thetahat 04-14-2015 09:13 AM

Mark, yep that's it! Super rare, and you have it in great condition! Thanks for sharing.

phillies 04-16-2015 08:10 PM

Has anyone seen this style of pennant before? They are fetching some high prices (look at the packers one...) yet I can't locate any but the milwalkee one in the Mike Egner price guide, they all seem to be in near mint condition and they have some strange stitching on the spine. Can anyone validate these?

http://www.ebay.com/sch/fourryfs/m.h...mplete=1&rt=nc

ooo-ribay 04-16-2015 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phillies (Post 1402114)
Has anyone seen this style of pennant before? They are fetching some high prices (look at the packers one...) yet I can't locate any but the milwalkee one in the Mike Egner price guide, they all seem to be in near mint condition and they have some strange stitching on the spine. Can anyone validate these?

I'm not sure what you mean by "strange stitching." I'm a Giants collector and I can tell you the Giants example he currently has for sale is legit.

phillies 04-17-2015 06:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ooo-ribay (Post 1402120)
I'm not sure what you mean by "strange stitching." I'm a Giants collector and I can tell you the Giants example he currently has for sale is legit.

Take a look at the detroit example here:

http://ebay.to/1DdgTY6

Or the twins example he has. They have single stitching down the center. By strange I meant that I personally have never seen that before. Would be curious to know who else has seen it.

Fballguy 04-17-2015 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phillies (Post 1402114)

I've seen that style before and it happened to be the Packers as well. Not sure if this is a Packers specific style? It wasn't for sale so didn't have any idea on value. I like it a lot but would've bowed out well before $612.

Not a fan of Egner's book. Way too many football pennants unaccounted for and both the reported values and rarity are off in many instances. I get that it's hard to establish value on one of a kind...or few of a kind items...but why even attempt it unless you're numbers are accurate. Unfortunately, it's the only pennant resource out there....unless somebody knows of another.

ooo-ribay 04-17-2015 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phillies (Post 1402165)
Take a look at the detroit example here:

http://ebay.to/1DdgTY6

Or the twins example he has. They have single stitching down the center. By strange I meant that I personally have never seen that before. Would be curious to know who else has seen it.

THAT Tigers pennant looks like a reproduction, but I could be wrong. I think perezfan would know...

Duluth Eskimo 04-17-2015 11:44 PM

They're legit. Just lower quality.

perezfan 04-19-2015 05:46 PM

Completely agree with Jason. All are original/authentic. Some seldom-seen styles and neat variations, even if a bit cheaper in nature. I've heard these often referred to as "vendor pennants". Meaning they were not likely ever sold inside the stadium. Rather, they were hawked by vendors in the streets outside the stadiums.

Given the number of seldom-seen examples in this group, it's possible that the consignor was friends/relatives of a street vendor. The fact that these were folded/put away (and apparently never hung) might further substantiate that theory. Regardless, it was neat to see some new ones turn up like that.

Teamgluck 04-26-2015 01:42 PM

Anyone ever seen one of these?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-ORIG-19...item4d312fd62d

Bumpus Jones 04-26-2015 02:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's something similar...

ooo-ribay 04-26-2015 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teamgluck (Post 1405395)

Very cool. Very reputable seller.

Duluth Eskimo 04-26-2015 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teamgluck (Post 1405395)

Those are not terribly difficult, but are tough to find in top condition. Unfortunately a number of those Cleveland banners have water damage, stains, etc. not sure if most were damaged prior to sale.

That Cincinnati banner is sort of the same, but different. Different fabric, etc but make great display pieces.

There were a few of those Indians style banners on eBay recently from Yankees and Dodgers that were in good shape. You do not see those very often at all. I believe I bid on all three, but did not end up with any of them. They did not go as high as I thought they should have given the rarity.

The very rare banner style pennants are the ones that are in the Killebrew items thread that look like a shield with a player photo in there. Very rare. Also some of the early championship banners that are seldom seen. Most advanced collectors need those for their collections creating heavy interest and bidding.

If you need that Cleveland banner you should be able to get it for less than $150. Good luck. Jason

Duluth Eskimo 04-26-2015 07:50 PM

Of course as I wrote this I noticed it is already at $142. He gets some good action due to very nice selection of sports memorabilia. Don't be afraid to wait for the next one rather than overpay for this one

mrmantlecollector 05-28-2015 12:40 PM

Picked these up today at a local junk shop. Can anyone tell me what year they are from and if they have any value. I got them for $2.00 a piece so i figured i couldn't go wrong. Any help would be appreciated.

http://i765.photobucket.com/albums/x...psky3czjls.jpg

ooo-ribay 05-28-2015 01:16 PM

2 Attachment(s)
One of what you have is, obviously, a 1959 Bazooka pennant. The others are more generic and of an unknown issue. As you said, you couldn't go wrong for 2 bucks apiece. Bazooka also offered patches but I'm not sure of the time frame for those.

http://www.legendaryauctions.com/195...lot113826.aspx

Teamgluck 06-05-2015 09:38 AM

Hmmmmmmm I don't see this pennant in Egner's book

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1914-Miracle...item4aeb339166

Is it real?

murphusa 06-05-2015 09:44 AM

it's real alright and fabulous

perezfan 06-05-2015 12:18 PM

I say it's a fake, and made within the last 5 years. Now everyone stop bidding, and just forget about this one. I will bid, just to get it off the market and out of circulation. It will be safely stashed away. The hobby doesn't need any more black marks, and I do not mind being the person to clean things up. It's the least I can do to "give back". So please... No more bidding!

Just kidding of course. It's not in Mike's Guide because this is probably the first to surface. Condition looks incredible, and it was safely stored for over a century. Just a magnificent and incredibly rare authentic find.

lefty147 06-05-2015 04:12 PM

Very cool looking.

Duluth Eskimo 06-05-2015 05:21 PM

I have not seen that particular example, but I believe there is another example from a year close to that. That is probably one of the best and cleanest examples from that era to surface. Absolutely beautiful color and style. This is the one you've probably been waiting on Mark.

ooo-ribay 06-13-2015 10:26 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I just posted this in another thread. The New York Giants beanie was made by the pennant maker Keezer. "The Keezer Mfg. Co. Inc. Flags-Insignia-Felt Plaistow N.H. Made in U.S.A." Who knew?

Teamgluck 06-15-2015 01:58 PM

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-2-Sided...item51d27403f1

Can someone make context of this?
I understand the recent Boston/Milwaukee Braves 2 sided pennant that just sold on ebay but this makes no sense whatsoever.

Tigerden 06-15-2015 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teamgluck (Post 1421592)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-2-Sided...item51d27403f1

Can someone make context of this?
I understand the recent Boston/Milwaukee Braves 2 sided pennant that just sold on ebay but this makes no sense whatsoever.

I have seen this Black Hawks pennant show up before as the back side for another pennant . I do not recall the other side but it definitely wasn't an Orange Bowl pennant. Its possible the maker just used unsold pennant stock to print a new design to process a new request. The NFL and baseball season would have been over in January when the Orange Bowl was being played and the manufacturer could have been printing NHL pennants that time of year. A search of that year shows the Black Hawks finished dead last that year and maybe attendance was poor as a result.We'll probably never know . Maybe someone else can chime in about these oddities.

steve B 06-16-2015 04:12 PM

That would be my guess too. Leftovers, maybe returns or a batch some vendor never paid for. May as well use them up making other pennants, and maybe a Chicago vendor got a "deal" on Blackhawks pennants with other stuff on them.

I never believed the story about one of the car makers using metal that was originally Coca Cola signs until I saw one.

Steve B

7nohitter 06-17-2015 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve B (Post 1422038)

I never believed the story about one of the car makers using metal that was originally Coca Cola signs until I saw one.

Steve B

Say what?

Jobu 06-17-2015 10:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
It isn't baseball, but this is the only pennant that I have in my collection (and I love it). Can anyone tell me anything about this? Thanks.