Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Opinions on the T206 Green Cobb (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=263951)

mrvster 12-31-2018 10:42 AM

Opinions on the T206 Green Cobb

Happy New Year's early everyone!

this is a spin off from what I stated in the favorites pick up thread...

my observations/predictions on the green Cobb...

will be considered part of the "BIG FIVE"

Wagner, Doyle, Plank, Magie, Green Cobb

pricing is still catching up.....but it will be considered the 5th "big" card of the set....if it isn't already

similar psa 1 Magie maybe 8 k ........so , the Cobb still has much room to grow, then will stay close behind in pricing with Magie....

thoughts????

frankbmd 12-31-2018 11:00 AM

In keeping with the spirit of this thread, I, for one, feed my green Cobb every day and he seems to be growing nicely. I must confess though that I discard the table “scraps” that he leaves behind.:D

usernamealreadytaken 12-31-2018 11:02 AM

Not quite...

Valuable/desirable card, but missing the rarity component to hang with the big 4 IMO...

mrvster 12-31-2018 11:30 AM

Chris

I agree with you on rarity definitely.....

very curious of opinions on this one

Rhotchkiss 12-31-2018 12:00 PM

Johnny, isn’t a t206 set considered complete without Wagner, Doyle, Plank, Magie? If so, I think that’s the fact (based on rarity) that distinguishes the green Cobb from the Big Four. So, in my opinion, it will not become the 5th, which assumes “big” = price, not rarity. I think the Demmitt and O’Hara PB would get the nod over the green Cobb if we were adding “big ones” of t206.

MVSNYC 12-31-2018 12:03 PM

Ryan, I think Green Cobb in grades 1-5 outpace Demmitt & O’Hara. (Maybe even the higher grades too).

Just an interesting observation.

mrvster 12-31-2018 12:05 PM

Ryan....

also a great point!

maybe green cobb in regard to big 5 in price??????????:)

Frank

before you discard those "scraps" remember to check with me!;)
one man gather s what another man spills
one man's trash(actually) is another man's treasure...

beauty is in the eye of the beholder???

omg...I'm clichéd out:D

mrvster 12-31-2018 12:06 PM

Mike...

definitely....

Sean 12-31-2018 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss (Post 1841047)
Johnny, isn’t a t206 set considered complete without Wagner, Doyle, Plank, Magie? If so, I think that’s the fact (based on rarity) that distinguishes the green Cobb from the Big Four. So, in my opinion, it will not become the 5th, which assumes “big” = price, not rarity. I think the Demmitt and O’Hara PB would get the nod over the green Cobb if we were adding “big ones” of t206.

The Cobb green lacks the rare aspect of O'Hara and Demmitt, but it is still one of the best cards of one of the greatest players, and is collected by many across the hobby. Demmitt and O'Hara are only collected by advanced T206 collectors.

So the Cobb green may end up being just as scarce in terms of demand as the O'Hara and Demmitt.

MVSNYC 12-31-2018 01:09 PM

Interesting side note about Demmitt and O'Hara- Ted can elaborate (Hi Ted)...

They were (obviously) only distributed with Polar Bear backs, but they are not rare or scarce within the Polar Bear population, if that makes sense. Meaning they are no rarer than a Kroh, for example, with a Polar Bear back.

Rhotchkiss 12-31-2018 01:12 PM

Sean, my point is that it’s rarity, not value, that makes the Big 4, the Big 4.

Side question, would you rather have a Demmitt/O’Hara in a 5-6, or a green Cobb in a 5-6. I think it’s a close call (would rather have the green Cobb in a 4 or less)

Johnny, I get it with the Demmitt/O’Hara - I never seen the hoopla with these two, as you are correct that they are not rare among PB backs. In fact, I have never owned either. That said, whenever a real pretty 5+ comes up for sale (and maybe a smokin and clean 4), I often think long and hard about pulling the trigger.

MVSNYC 12-31-2018 01:19 PM

My name is Michael, not Johnny. :)

Sean 12-31-2018 01:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss (Post 1841091)
whenever a real pretty 5+ comes up for sale (and maybe a smokin and clean 4), I often think long and hard about pulling the trigger.

Ryan, here's a 3.5 in case you want to settle:

Attachment 339191

Rhotchkiss 12-31-2018 01:26 PM

Michael, my bad - You and Johnny’s handle are very similar and can be easily confused at 10:20pm in Tel Aviv on New Years Eve! You can call me Ronnie for 2019.

Sean, that’s a good looking card, but it’s the 5’s that catch my eye. And BTW, I always liked the Demmitt over the O’Hara

MVSNYC 12-31-2018 02:21 PM

Ronnie, I mean Ryan, happy new year!

Touch'EmAll 12-31-2018 02:28 PM

A lot of collectors point to the demand side being more important than the supply side, aka rarity. The demand for the green Cobb probably is higher than the demand for the other biggies. What T206's would you consider of higher overall demand than the green Cobb?

MichelaiTorres83 12-31-2018 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss (Post 1841091)
Sean, my point is that it’s rarity, not value, that makes the Big 4, the Big 4.

Side question, would you rather have a Demmitt/O’Hara in a 5-6, or a green Cobb in a 5-6. I think it’s a close call (would rather have the green Cobb in a 4 or less)

Johnny, I get it with the Demmitt/O’Hara - I never seen the hoopla with these two, as you are correct that they are not rare among PB backs. In fact, I have never owned either. That said, whenever a real pretty 5+ comes up for sale (and maybe a smokin and clean 4), I often think long and hard about pulling the trigger.

There are enough Magie cards that I wouldn’t say they are rare. 15 to 20 get sold a year. Didn’t Robert Edward Auctions auction off three of them in the same auction followed by PWCC two of them plus one straight listed on ebay?

CobbSpikedMe 12-31-2018 03:03 PM

I like the idea for discussion's sake, but don't think there can be a "Big 5" at this point. Wagner, Plank, Magie, Doyle, Demmitt, O'Hara have been established long ago as the keys that get eliminated from "complete" sets first due to their rarity. The green Cobb is just a very sought after card in the hobby and is collected by many people that aren't collecting T206s. Those people don't need a Magie. The demand is much lower for Plank, Magie, Doyle, etc. within the hobby in general. So comparing the prices of Demmitt with Cobb is apples to oranges. If the demand for Demmit was the same a green Cobb it would be way more expensive than a green Cobb is.

MVSNYC 12-31-2018 03:11 PM

Hi Andy, FWIW- "Complete" set is considered 520 (minus the big 4)...Demmitt & O'Hara are part of the "near set".

MichelaiTorres83 12-31-2018 03:14 PM

I would love to have a Doyle and Wagner. I simply can not afford them due to price so I would say price is what dictates the lack of those cards being included in most peoples sets. I can afford a Magie and a Plank but question the cost to have them. They are simply to expensive to liquidate. You can not simply put it on Ebay for sale and get a buyer that easily. How many people have 30 thousand dollars of liquid assets for a single piece of paper with a photo printed on it.

CobbSpikedMe 12-31-2018 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MVSNYC (Post 1841143)
Hi Andy, FWIW- "Complete" set is considered 520 (minus the big 4)...Demmitt & O'Hara are part of the "near set".

Hi Michael. Yes, but Demmitt & O'Hara are the next two to go when someone wants to make a "do-able" set (can we call it that?:)) at 518 which I've seen many times. The green Cobb isn't the one excluded from the "set". I guess I could've been more specific.

tedzan 12-31-2018 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MVSNYC (Post 1841088)
Interesting side note about Demmitt and O'Hara- Ted can elaborate (Hi Ted)...

They were (obviously) only distributed with Polar Bear backs, but they are not rare or scarce within the Polar Bear population, if that makes sense. Meaning they are no rarer than a Kroh, for example, with a Polar Bear back.

Hi Mike

Yes....and, no.

Your population comparison of Demmitt and O'Hara to other POLAR BEAR cards is true, but you have to qualify which ones. My theory is that these two St. Louis variations
were printed during the press runs of POLAR BEAR backs on 350/460 Series cards. The majority of T206's with POLAR BEAR backs are found in the 350/460 series cards.

But, your example of Kroh is not a good one. Kroh is a 350-only Series subject. And in general, the 350-only guys were short-printed with respect to POLAR BEAR backs.

TED Z

T206 Reference

MVSNYC 12-31-2018 04:10 PM

Hi Ted...that actually further illustrates my point (or makes an even better one)...

Thanks, Hope you’re well.

Sean 12-31-2018 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss (Post 1841102)
Michael, my bad - You and Johnny’s handle are very similar and can be easily confused at 10:20pm in Tel Aviv on New Years Eve!

Are you kidding? You're in Tel Aviv and you're wasting time talking with us?

Happy New Year!

ullmandds 12-31-2018 04:18 PM

I think the green cobb has always been one...if not the most coveted non big 4 t206 as long as I've been collecting. Set collectors need the st louis variations which are more limited in # than green cobbs by a long shot. But I think the % of set collectors who need these pales in comparison to the # of people who want green t206. Not sure how much and how quickly the green cobb will continue to escalate...this past year has been quite a ride for the green cobby.

mrvster 12-31-2018 05:44 PM

all great input

I remember being at a baseball card show in the early 80's and every dealer talking up the green cobb:)

Tao_Moko 12-31-2018 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mvsnyc (Post 1841095)
my name is michael, not johnny. :)

lol

Shouldn't Murr'y be #5?

MichelaiTorres83 01-13-2019 09:07 PM

Fireworks on the auction close tonight. This card keeps exceeding expectations every time it sells.

mrvster 01-14-2019 03:13 PM

crazy!!

green cobbs still keep going strong:eek: been red hot now for a few years:eek:

MVSNYC 01-14-2019 03:57 PM

Yep Johnny, very strong prices, and not slowing down.

Last night:
PSA 2.5 = $7300
SGC 4 = $13k

Sean 01-14-2019 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MVSNYC (Post 1845341)
Yep Johnny, very strong prices, and not slowing down.

Last night:
PSA 2.5 = $7300
SGC 4 = $13k

That was a nice 4, very well centered. But still.... These prices continue to amaze me.

T206Collector 01-14-2019 05:00 PM

Demand is high, but so is supply. There are 9 on eBay right now. Scarcity means a lot to me when considering The Big 4.

MichelaiTorres83 01-14-2019 07:26 PM

I would prefer to have a Cobb over a Magie if I am spending the same amount. If enough people think that way there could easily be a change to the big 4.

mrvster 01-14-2019 07:30 PM

Paul....

I think the green cobb market is expanding , so the supply will be shrinking, or basically not "expanding"....just becoming more "mainstream" if this is possible??

supply basically static as demand increases= price increase

thoughts???

MVSNYC 01-14-2019 07:39 PM

Yes Johnny. Pretty straightforward. :)

A popular dealer at the White Plains show was confirming that there's a bunch of new players entering the hobby (mostly for investment interest).

Bpm0014 01-15-2019 07:03 AM

A popular dealer at the White Plains show was confirming that there's a bunch of new players entering the hobby (mostly for investment interest).

I work for a bank. My best client is worth about $300 million. I was telling him about my collection. We are going to sit down next week to talk about some investments in high end cards. I'm just afraid he may be getting into it a tad bit late...

MVSNYC 01-15-2019 07:06 AM

When you're worth $300M, you have a skill for NOT entering into investments too late.

Easy advise for a millionaire: buy the best cards of the best players in the best condition possible.

Throttlesteer 01-15-2019 07:10 AM

While I think the green Cobb is genuinely climbing, the recent trend seems to be more of a hype bubble. There is still a lot of supply and people are reacting to the big $$$ from TPAs. I think they will stabilize at some pont.

egbeachley 01-15-2019 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Throttlesteer (Post 1845558)
While I think the green Cobb is genuinely climbing, the recent trend seems to be more of a hype bubble. There is still a lot of supply and people are reacting to the big $$$ from TPAs. I think they will stabilize at some pont.

Agree. Let’s see what happens during the recession late this year.

Forever Young 01-15-2019 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bpm0014 (Post 1845555)

I work for a bank. My best client is worth about $300 million. I was telling him about my collection. We are going to sit down next week to talk about some investments in high end cards. I'm just afraid he may be getting into it a tad bit late...

Get him into type 1 original photos:)

bnorth 01-15-2019 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bpm0014 (Post 1845555)

I would highly recommend getting him into cases of unopened junk wax era cards. Can they be worth any less than they are now?:D

Quote:

Originally Posted by egbeachley (Post 1845723)
Agree. Let’s see what happens during the recession late this year.

I am really hoping for that recession with a big hit to the housing market. Looking to buy a beach front condo soon.:D

Bpm0014 01-16-2019 07:11 AM

Get him into type 1 original photos

I would love to! They are one of my main areas of focus...

Frank A 01-16-2019 07:20 AM

What's with the recession bullshit. Who says there is going to be one? Plus I thought political stuff was not to be posted on this site.

Throttlesteer 01-16-2019 08:02 AM

I'm still stuck on someone worth $300 mil trying to figure out another investment strategy. What on earth cant you buy for that kind of money that some baseball cards are going to make the difference??? Its their money, but I dont understand "needing" a new investment at that point.

RedsFan1941 01-16-2019 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank A (Post 1845897)
What's with the recession bullshit. Who says there is going to be one? Plus I thought political stuff was not to be posted on this site.

a recession is not “political stuff” it is “economics stuff”

Bpm0014 01-16-2019 08:57 AM

I'm still stuck on someone worth $300 mil trying to figure out another investment strategy. What on earth cant you buy for that kind of money that some baseball cards are going to make the difference??? Its their money, but I dont understand "needing" a new investment at that point.

He's 71 years old. Played Division I college baseball in the ACC. He doesn't need any more money. He just loves baseball, and when I started to show him some of the Mickey Mantle and Ted Williams and Roberto Clemente and Hank Aaron and Willie Mays cards he became a bit nostalgiac....and wanted to learn more. His plan is to buy some ultra high end cards...hold them for a year or 2...and then see what the market is like. We have our eyes on a couple now.

packs 01-16-2019 09:05 AM

I look at my tidy investment for my green Cobb like the plant in Little Shop of Horrors. It stares back at me everyday saying "Feed Me, Seymour" and every day someone on eBay does:

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4531/...07c091e8ba.jpg

Sean 01-16-2019 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by packs (Post 1845932)
I look at my tidy investment for my green Cobb like the plant in Little Shop of Horrors. It stares back at me everyday saying "Feed Me, Seymour" and every day someone on eBay does:

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4531/...07c091e8ba.jpg

That's a great card for a 1.5. Is there something wrong with the back?

Ricky 01-16-2019 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bpm0014 (Post 1845931)

He's 71 years old. Played Division I college baseball in the ACC. He doesn't need any more money. He just loves baseball, and when I started to show him some of the Mickey Mantle and Ted Williams and Roberto Clemente and Hank Aaron and Willie Mays cards he became a bit nostalgiac....and wanted to learn more. His plan is to buy some ultra high end cards...hold them for a year or 2...and then see what the market is like. We have our eyes on a couple now.

This is really interesting. At 71 years old and worth $300 million, he certainly doesn't "need" any more money. If he's really nostalgic and loves baseball, why not buy the great cards and just keep them as collectibles, as opposed to looking at them as investments to be sold for a profit?

packs 01-16-2019 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean (Post 1845935)
That's a great card for a 1.5. Is there something wrong with the back?

Depends on who you are, but I can live with this:

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4649/...b11fc0aee0.jpg