Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Introducing my new site ThatT206life.com (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=231688)

Luke 11-25-2016 05:00 PM

Introducing my new site ThatT206life.com

1 Attachment(s)
I recently started a T206 blog and I'd love it if you guys would check it out.

thatT206life.com

My goal with the site is to write a bunch of informative articles that T206 collectors of all experience levels can learn from and enjoy. I'll be writing about a wide range of topics from collecting tips for beginners to in-depth research articles about specific front/back combos.

I'll be posting twice a week, so there will always be something new to read when you stop by. I'm hoping people will leave some comments to give me an idea of what is working, what I can do better, and what kind of topics they want me to tackle.

This project wouldn't exist without net54, so I want to give a big thanks to everyone who I have learned from over the years that put me in a position to feel like I have enough to say about the set to start a site like this.

Thanks to Leon for allowing me to put this post here and try to get the word out. And thank you to everyone who takes a couple minutes to check it out.

Rookiemonster 11-25-2016 05:02 PM

Good luck with the blog !

BruceinGa 11-25-2016 05:48 PM

Thanks for putting out the word, I'll check it out. :)

BruceinGa 11-25-2016 06:32 PM

I've spent the past 45 minutes looking through it, wow, I wish it would have been available a year or two ago!

DerekMichael 11-25-2016 06:59 PM

That is too cool Luke! Best of luck to you.

T206Collector 11-25-2016 07:08 PM

Good luck! I will certainly check it out.

iowadoc77 11-25-2016 07:29 PM

Wow

Hey Luke, awesome website! I know what I will be doing the next few days. Well done. Good luck moving forward
Eric

Bocabirdman 11-25-2016 07:49 PM

What the heck IS a T206?

Mountaineer1999 11-25-2016 10:04 PM

Great work Luke! Really well done

conor912 11-25-2016 10:15 PM

Great work, Luke!. Having built a site myself, I can appreciate how much time and effort went into it. I'm not a Monster guy myself, but it looks like a great hobby resource nonetheless.

DeanH3 11-25-2016 10:40 PM

Great site Luke! I'll definitely be spending some time reading and learning. Thanks for all your efforts.

gregr2 11-26-2016 05:46 AM

Nice job Luke!

bmattioli 11-26-2016 07:08 AM

Bookmarked. Very well laid out and easy on the eyes. I'll suggest a topic sometime.

cdn_collector 11-26-2016 07:25 AM

Luke -- just took a scroll through your site and read some posts. Am happy to see Gibson T206s show up in 2 posts already. Obviously you know what you're doing ;)

Great site! Look forward to reading more.

Cheers,

Richard.

GoCubsGo32 11-26-2016 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bocabirdman (Post 1605368)
What the heck IS a T206?

I believe it's the early version of the T1000 model. ;)

Great website Luke!

mybuddyinc 11-26-2016 11:12 AM

Luke,

GREAT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Man, you've been busy, very informative information. Really enjoyed the Hindu article.

Keep it going :)

Fun, fun, Scott :rolleyes:

pariah1107 11-26-2016 11:52 AM

Great looking resource site Luke!

Bookmarked.

Good luck.

divecchia 11-26-2016 01:02 PM

Luke,

Good luck with the blog. I spent a few minutes perusing it and found it very informative.

Donato

rfurnish 11-26-2016 02:44 PM

As if I don't already spend too much time online looking at T206 stuff!

I look forward to enjoying your site. Looks like a lot of effort went in to it!

Ron

charlietheexterminator 11-26-2016 05:19 PM

Fantastic Job,

Looking forward to seeing more.

dougscats 11-27-2016 10:05 AM

Good luck, Luke--

Thanks for the lesson on how to use the SGC Population Report; useful info--

I've just bookmarked it and your new T206 Blog,
and I look forward to perusing your site at my leisure.

Nice work!

dougscats 11-27-2016 10:05 AM

Good luck, Luke--

Thanks for the lesson on how to use the SGC Population Report; useful info--

I've just bookmarked your site
and look forward to perusing it.

Congratulations, and Nice work!

KingFisk 11-27-2016 10:55 AM

Nicely done. Thanks for adding such a good resource.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Luke 11-27-2016 03:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks to everyone who has checked it out so far. And thanks for all the kind words and encouragement. It means a lot to me.

Just posted a new article about the "washed out" look that some 350 series cards have. The Old Mill Overall on the right is a great example of this.

Joshchisox08 11-27-2016 05:08 PM

If you haven't checked it out then I would suggest you do so.
Luke has put together a very interesting and educational to any t206 collector blog. I learned a ton of stuff I had no idea about just skimming through the first time. You can see the hard work he put into this.

If you're into t206 at all you need to read this, especially as he is a fellow board member and great person to deal with!

Kudos to Luke and his new blog!

irishdenny 11-28-2016 06:13 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Dankz Luke, "Truly!!!"

I've Always Appreciated the Time THaT You've Put iNTa Our Hobby...
And Shared THaT TiMe Wit Us!
THiS BLoG of Yours iS a PRiME EXamPLe!!!

And I JuST Haf ta Add...
I Know THaT You Spent Quite Sumtime iNTa LooKiN Fir & FiNDiN
THiS CaRD of "BiG Ed" Walsh...

PaSSiN Your "Labor of Love" oNTa me ...
WiLL NeVar Be FirgotiN!

AGaiN...
"Dank Ya Kindly fir Your Time & Efforts!"

You Have my AdmiratioN!!!

sreader3 11-28-2016 04:15 PM

Nice Job

Nice site Luke. I will be checking the site regularly for new posts.

Scot

mrvster 11-29-2016 09:17 AM

Luke....

I will check out your website.......and Scot, I need to return to yours!:D

you both are advancing the knowledge of T206 I'm quite proud and impressed! I have learned a great deal from both of you :D

Leon 12-02-2016 05:39 PM

Late responder here, but nice site Luke!! Have fun and good luck....

Quote:

Originally Posted by LukeLyon (Post 1605319)
I recently started a T206 blog and I'd love it if you guys would check it out.

thatT206life.com

My goal with the site is to write a bunch of informative articles that T206 collectors of all experience levels can learn from and enjoy. I'll be writing about a wide range of topics from collecting tips for beginners to in-depth research articles about specific front/back combos.

I'll be posting twice a week, so there will always be something new to read when you stop by. I'm hoping people will leave some comments to give me an idea of what is working, what I can do better, and what kind of topics they want me to tackle.

This project wouldn't exist without net54, so I want to give a big thanks to everyone who I have learned from over the years that put me in a position to feel like I have enough to say about the set to start a site like this.

Thanks to Leon for allowing me to put this post here and try to get the word out. And thank you to everyone who takes a couple minutes to check it out.

mrvster 12-02-2016 06:07 PM

great site!!!

on my favorites!!

I love the rea recap I felt the same about the bl 460...nice commentary on the proofs:)

Luke 01-26-2017 07:11 PM

Quick little update

1. Just posted a "guest article", written by everyone's T206 buddy, Scott Gross. It's awesome, please check it out!

2. I've settled into a groove of posting a new article every Sunday and Thursday morning. I've had a few days where I post it late, but planning to get more organized and schedule them in advance so they always publish at the same time.

3. I very much appreciate everyone's kind words. I didn't respond to all the nice posts because I didn't want to personally bump this thread too much, but I read them all.

CW 01-26-2017 07:32 PM

I will be tuning in.

Stuff like this is great for the hobby.

Nicely done, Luke!

Rhotchkiss 01-27-2017 07:47 AM

Question re SGC Pop report and Article re same on that T206 Life

Luke, I sincerely appreciate this thread about That T206 Life. I have spent at least 2 hrs since yesterday on the (previously-unknown-to-me) site, and it is simply awesome!

I was reading your article re How to read the SGC Pop report, and I have a few questions (if you have the time, it may be best to discuss rather than respond in text/via thread). As you mentioned in another article, my interests in T206 have changed and I am now focused principally on HOFers with Rare backs (and I would like ultimately to have an example of each back, including series and Factory No) in an HOF example, but I am having trouble using SGC to determine how many HOF rare back examples exist for certain cards.

For example, looking at the SGC report, it is pretty clear to me that they do not distinguish by Factory Number. Is this correct? Also, I understand that series 150 is 1909, 360 is 1910, and 460 is 1911, but what about 350-460? And, am I correct the SGC does not distinguish between color variations of backs, such a Red v. Brown Hindu?

Moreover, sometimes multiple backs for the same player is listed, however, there is no indicator as to whether it is listing the population for a portrait or pose, etc (i.e., no "description"). For example, I have an M. Brown Cycle 460. This is a 1911 card. If you type in T206 Mordecai Brown, the entire pop report comes up. Scroll down to the 1911's and you see three different listings for M. Brown in a Cycle -- two listings have no description and one listing has "Chicago on Shirt" (which is what I have in an SGC 60). So, how do I know if there are only 2 SGC-graded M. Brown, Chicago on Shirt Cycle, 460s or whether the other two listings (one with a pop of 1 and one with a pop of 2) are also Chicago on Shirt?

Thanks in advance!

DeanH3 01-27-2017 10:30 AM

I will try and help. Hopefully my understanding is correct so someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

SGC does not distinguish factory numbers except Pied 350-460 fact 42 ( I believe).

SGC does separate the series as 1909 for 150, 1910 for 350 and 1911 for 350-460 and 460.

No subjects were printed with both brown and red hindu. So you can determine from SGC pop reports which back it is by knowing if that player was a red or brown only subject.

Decifering other backs can be challenging. I'll use Cy Young as an example. When you look up Cy Young in a 1909 Piedmont 150 listing you'll see a Young listing with no description. And two other listings that are labeled portrait and bare hand. Since we know both the portrait and bare hand were printed in the Piedmont 150 series, it's impossible to know how many are portraits and how many are bare hand in the listing with no label. However, some other backs are easier to assertain. In the Cycle 460 series, Young with glove is the only pose printed. So when you look at the Cycle 460 series in the SGC pop report, you'll know that any Cy Young listed in a generic label will still be a with glove pose.

I'm not 100% sure, but I believe in the Cycle 460 series the brown Chicago on shirt was the only brown pose printed. So you can assertain that any brown listed under the 1911 cycle SGC pop report will be that pose.

So knowing which subjects were printed, or not printed, with certain backs can help figure out the SGC pops. But subjects that had different poses within the same series is a challenge.

I sure hope I made sense with my ramblings. I guarantee others could explain it better and more succinct as I'm not the best communicator when it come to writing.

Good luck!

Luke 01-27-2017 05:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
That was a great answer Dean. I would have said it just about the same. Like Dean says, a key to making sense of the SGC Pop Report is knowing which series each card was printed in. Even then, there are some entries are ambiguous. Like these Doyle Cycle 460s below. You just have no idea which card the generic listing refers to.

mrvster 01-27-2017 10:11 PM

Luke!!!!

I love your site!!!!!!!!!!! GREAT INFO:eek:

BicycleSpokes 01-28-2017 03:56 PM

Awesome site.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Lgarza99 01-28-2017 05:18 PM

Luke,

Great work. A lot of great reading and info. Thank you for your hard work.

Enfuego 01-30-2017 11:25 AM

The site looks pretty user friendly and gentle to the eyes. I haven't spent too much time on it, but I will plan to later this evening. Good Job!

Blunder19 02-03-2017 02:49 PM

Luke.

Just wanted to say thanks for your interest in my back run. The article was well written. Took me down memory lane. I enjoyed it.

Thanks

Jamie

Jobu 02-03-2017 03:08 PM

I agree with everyone else - this is a great site Luke. I will see if I can think of some more topics for you to cover.

I really enjoyed reading about Jamie's run.

Also, Jamie, holy crap! I assumed you started that run 15 or 20 years ago. Nice work man!

ullmandds 02-03-2017 03:09 PM

agreed...it was cool to read about Jamie's run. I haven't thoroughly combed your site as Im not a big t206 guy but a good topic(if not already done) of which I am a big fan of are the "faux" t206's...like t213-1, t215-1.

Jobu 02-03-2017 09:52 PM

Another thought: ask David (trdcrdkd) to write something about the history of T206 sales - maybe he could even team up with Leon and his Burdick letters.

atx840 02-03-2017 11:06 PM

Nice article Luke and what a back run Jamie. :D

Sean 02-04-2017 01:24 AM

Interesting article on the Blue Old Mill. Does anyone know who owns it?

sac_bunt 02-08-2017 05:57 PM

Luke.... each week I look forward to reading your posts.

Glad to see you also gave one of Net54's best (Scott Gross) a guest appearance on your site.

Great work and keep it coming!

Luke 02-08-2017 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blunder19 (Post 1627117)
Luke.

Just wanted to say thanks for your interest in my back run. The article was well written. Took me down memory lane. I enjoyed it.

Thanks

Jamie

Jamie, thanks again for working with me on that article. It's an awesome story and I knew people would enjoy reading about it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jobu (Post 1627129)
I agree with everyone else - this is a great site Luke. I will see if I can think of some more topics for you to cover.

I really enjoyed reading about Jamie's run.

Also, Jamie, holy crap! I assumed you started that run 15 or 20 years ago. Nice work man!

Quote:

Originally Posted by ullmandds (Post 1627130)
agreed...it was cool to read about Jamie's run. I haven't thoroughly combed your site as Im not a big t206 guy but a good topic(if not already done) of which I am a big fan of are the "faux" t206's...like t213-1, t215-1.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jobu (Post 1627257)
Another thought: ask David (trdcrdkd) to write something about the history of T206 sales - maybe he could even team up with Leon and his Burdick letters.

Bryan and Pete,

Thanks for the thoughts on new topics. I would love to hear everyone's ideas. Writing two articles every week, I am burning through the ideas pretty quickly. Dave and I have actually discussed working on something together. Hasn't happened yet due to busy schedules, but I am hopeful that it will.

I really like the idea of guest articles, and I'm really happy with the way Scott's Polar Bear article turned out. The best stories and research articles are written by people who are passionate about the subject matter. There are a ton of t206 topics where I'm not the most knowledgeable or passionate, but someone else on this forum is. So, if anyone would like to write a guest article, I would be very excited to discuss it with you. I can be reached via PM or email at luke@thatt206life.com

Quote:

Originally Posted by sac_bunt (Post 1628849)
Luke.... each week I look forward to reading your posts.

Glad to see you also gave one of Net54's best (Scott Gross) a guest appearance on your site.

Great work and keep it coming!

Jeff,
Thanks so much! I agree, Scott is the best :D

mybuddyinc 02-15-2017 11:27 AM

Josh ----> GREAT article on Jack Barry !!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

Riting kan bea PHUN :p

Scott :rolleyes:

Luke 03-12-2017 06:12 PM

I'm excited to unveil my newest guest-article today, written by Ed McCollum. Ed's "Howe McCormick Collection" is my favorite T206 project, and I know a lot of you feel the same way. The story is awesome, and includes some great scans and photos that I hadn't seen before.

We are also planning a more informal Q&A type article for next week. I had some additional questions I wanted to ask, and I figured other people might as well. If you have any questions you'd like me to ask Ed about his collection, please either post them in this thread, or shoot me an email at luke@thatT206life.com

mrvster 03-12-2017 06:30 PM

luke

your site is top notch!:)