Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Shea Stadium Bleacher Bench (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=231085)

Head928 11-11-2016 04:25 PM

Shea Stadium Bleacher Bench

2 Attachment(s)
Still considering this a work in progress....
The bleacher is from Shea Stadium that I picked up at a card show in NY.
Picked up the legs online....
The bats are MLB game used and it turns out that bats are much harder to cut than I anticipated.

Not in love with it and not sure where I am going with it from here....any suggestions or examples would be cool.

Snapolit1 11-11-2016 08:57 PM

James - I grew up a Met fan and went to 100s of games. Shea didn't have a bleacher section. Where exactly did these come from? There was a picnic area in the last few years but those were picnic tables I believe. I have actual seats from Shea and they look nothing like these.

canjond 11-11-2016 09:12 PM

Steve-

Shea definitely had bleacher seating in the late 2000s over in the picnic area.

- Jon

https://c2.staticflickr.com/4/3041/2...340fa286_z.jpg

Head928 11-11-2016 11:38 PM

I picked it up at the Long Island show that was the weekend before the National this year for $30. I believe that Shea Stadium items were pretty much all he had for sale as well. There are 2 hologram stickers from MLB on it as well for whatever those are worth.

That’s a good catch though and I haven’t been able to find what year it was that the bleachers were put in Shea.

I am a big fan of stadium seats but a lot of the ones I see don’t get much use. My goal with this bleacher was that it would be something people actually sit on. Maybe on the back patio.

Shoeless Moe 11-12-2016 07:46 AM

Love it!

Snapolit1 11-12-2016 08:31 AM

Thanks. You are correct. Forgot that pretty late addition and never ever sat there. Cool.

Miss old Shea a lot. It was a bit of a dump but it was my dump. Sorry I didn't buy more pieces of Shea when the Mets were selling it all off.

Bestdj777 11-12-2016 10:34 AM

James,

I think it is a great start and has some real potential. My recommendations are as follows:
1. Reposition the light colored bats so that they are placed in a uniform pattern. Maybe have one on the left side one bat in and one on the right side one bat in. The uniformity would add to it a bit.
2. Use a skill saw or some sort of other power saw to cut the bats all straight, and at the same length, along the bottom.
3. Build a frame around the bats running around all four sides and paint it either black or the color of the seat--black to match the bats would probably be easier than trying to match the seat color. I think that would lead to a more polished look.

Whatever you ultimately do, it's a cool project.

pawpawdiv9 11-12-2016 11:43 AM

In the end, you wanna be this guy:

http://www.sportsmanshabitat.com/wp-...shing-boat.jpg

steve B 11-12-2016 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bestdj777 (Post 1601627)
James,

I think it is a great start and has some real potential. My recommendations are as follows:
1. Reposition the light colored bats so that they are placed in a uniform pattern. Maybe have one on the left side one bat in and one on the right side one bat in. The uniformity would add to it a bit.
2. Use a skill saw or some sort of other power saw to cut the bats all straight, and at the same length, along the bottom.
3. Build a frame around the bats running around all four sides and paint it either black or the color of the seat--black to match the bats would probably be easier than trying to match the seat color. I think that would lead to a more polished look.

Whatever you ultimately do, it's a cool project.

All good suggestions.

I'd have left the bats full length, and maybe run them a bit higher, but it's too late for that now. Running a frame across the bottom of them once they're even would be cool. and framing around the sides and top could make it look a bit more finished.

Depending on what you like stylewise you could do a sort of layered border around the bats and paint it in Mets colors. Or do a border with a few different Mets logos starting with earlier ones at the lower left and going clockwise to newer ones. Or a simple border with a corner blocks with the logo you like the best.

Lots of options, and lots of different ways to do any of them.

Steve B

Head928 11-12-2016 07:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I think I already am that guy in the picture.....

The boarder ideas are great and I will be looking to do something on that end.

I also had intended have the bats horizontal instead of vertical but it didnt really work well to get them attached on the boarding and they didint fit together very well that way either.

I did purposely use the bats show because they were inexpensive and I had no idea what I was doing. I would like to down the road replace this back with some bats of better known Mets players.

Did some clean up work on it today with some staining and added the 2 knob ends.

Will probably give it time as is (at least till after the the holiday) before I add anything anything else on it. I dont want it to get too busy up top either.

sheamemorabilia 01-25-2019 09:12 AM

Shea Bleacher Benches

2 Attachment(s)
I don't know if anyone is still looking at this particular thread...but I just saw it ...and I believe that you bought that piece from me at a LI JP's Show. I actually originally purchased all the Bleachers that came out of Shea ..there are many of them out there now...but I love to see what people do with them. I still make benches out of them and have done a number of different leg options. I never did a Back to the benches, as they didn't have backs at Shea...But I think your Bat Back is pretty cool. I'll attach some pics of mine below and you can go to my site to check out my latest. www.sheamemorabilia.com

chalupacollects 01-25-2019 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pawpawdiv9 (Post 1601652)

Is this the brother of the guy holding the Wagner card in his dumpy apartment with the mirror behind him? LOL