Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980) (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Thoughts on these '62 post cereal card I found today. (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=219981)

DeanH3 03-22-2016 09:32 PM

Thoughts on these '62 post cereal card I found today.

1 Attachment(s)
I stumbled across these '62 post cereal cards today in an antique mall. I paid $5.70 for all four. It seemed like a great deal but I don't know much about these. But at that price I figured it was worth the gamble. Any thoughts? Would it be worth getting them graded? Thanks in advance.

DBesse27 03-22-2016 10:04 PM

You got a steal. Both Mantles will probably only grade authentic, but still worth it. There is enough extra cardboard on the Maris cards that you (or somebody) could cut closer to the borders (but still leaving full borders visible) and get some nice grades. Congrats!

Did the seller have any others? I'm looking for a near mint Yaz.

DeanH3 03-22-2016 10:20 PM

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately these were the only baseball cards he had.

KCRfan1 03-22-2016 11:54 PM

Almost EVERY encounter I have had with searching for cards at antique shops ended with cards over priced.

People who sell at antique shops tend to know what they have and price accordingly and most cases overprice. So before you pay to have the cards graded, be certain you don't have reprints.

I tend to be in the camp of " if it's too good to be true, it probably is. "

Worse case scenario, you have fun reprints that were only five bucks.

DeanH3 03-23-2016 12:50 AM

I completely agree Lou. And I had the same exact thought but figured for $5.70 it was worth a shot. Is there any sure way to tell if they are reprints?

swarmee 03-23-2016 05:30 AM

Show a picture of the backs. The color should be a brown cardboard which may have glue patterns.

Bestdj777 03-23-2016 05:45 AM

I doubt these are fake. From the picture, it looks like these were taken directly from a Life Magazine (given that there is a border on three sides and not on the other and given that they do not appear to be hand cut), particularly as you have two complete sets. The backs should be white with adds on the back. If the magazine cards are perforated as I recall, you should be able to get number grades on these. I don't think they are particularly valuable given the huge number that survived in magazines in great condition, but still well worth a bit more than what you paid. As a reference point, I think I paid just a little over $100 for a complete magazine with cards. The cards are still awesome and it was a great buy.

DeanH3 03-23-2016 09:44 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The backs do have the ad.

Attachment 225267

hoot-owl 03-23-2016 11:26 AM

Don't trim these

You got a real steal--and what you have are the advertising cards inserted into the April 13, 1962 Life Magazine to kick off their ad campaign for their 1962 set.

There was a full page ad for the set featuring Whitey Ford--along with these two cards wrapped around the spine of the issue.

great deal

DeanH3 03-23-2016 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hoot-owl (Post 1518297)
You got a real steal--and what you have are the advertising cards inserted into the April 13, 1962 Life Magazine to kick off their ad campaign for their 1962 set.

There was a full page ad for the set featuring Whitey Ford--along with these two cards wrapped around the spine of the issue.

great deal

Thank you for the info. I will leave them as is.

I also appreciate all the input from everyone else. Thanks!

Den*nis O*Brien 03-25-2016 01:34 PM

UnTorn But Pulled From The Magazine

2 Attachment(s)
This example is showing the creases from being in the spine of the magazine. The left side of Mantle and on the right of the Maris side. The perforations are very fine. The OP's appear to be separated very, very carefully and the price sure was right. The poster who got a full magazine for a hundred bucks got a good deal in my opinion. They commonly sold for that 15 years ago.

Bestdj777 03-25-2016 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Den*nis O*Brien (Post 1519070)
The poster who got a full magazine for a hundred bucks got a good deal in my opinion. They commonly sold for that 15 years ago.

I was pleased with the purchase. Right now, I think there are 7 or so on eBay for less than $100. They are great pieces, but I think the size of the magazine itself may serve as a deterrent for some people. The thing is massive.

glynparson 03-26-2016 05:36 AM

magazine

is worth less than 15 years ago from what i have seen. OP still got a good deal o the singles