Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Mantle opinion please (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=160603)

dherm360 12-24-2012 08:03 PM

Mantle opinion please

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k2...ps2c6a3be0.jpg

thank you very much

joed25 12-24-2012 09:48 PM

Fake.

Paulanthony 12-24-2012 11:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
No good. 1 and 3 are good

shelly 12-25-2012 12:08 PM

I can give you one piece of advice. If you see a Petronella print stay far far away.

dherm360 12-25-2012 12:49 PM

thanks to all--It came with a Goldin Scoreboard cert, which yeah I know. I am far far from an expert, and continue to learn from the board
thanks again

RichardSimon 12-25-2012 01:55 PM

The question is are there more fake Mantle autographs or more fake Scoreboard certs in the hobby?

roarfrom34 12-25-2012 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shelly (Post 1066498)
I can give you one piece of advice. If you see a Petronella print stay far far away.

I've never seen a legit Ripken signature on a Petronella print

joed25 12-25-2012 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardSimon (Post 1066531)
The question is are there more fake Mantle autographs or more fake Scoreboard certs in the hobby?

Even if it has a "real Scoreboard cert" it doesnt make it real. I know a large percentage of their stuff was real but I would not be surprised if they mixed some fakes in back in the day (maybe unintentionally).

Donscards 12-25-2012 03:15 PM

Mantle Auto Bad

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paulanthony (Post 1066343)
No good. 1 and 3 are good

You guys are really good---the 2nd Mantle looks close to the first Mantle--I know the last e is different and the 1st M is a bit different---but when Mantle was signing 500 autos a day, dont u think his signature would vary abit---plus he maybe he had a few sips on his break---but this forum is the right place to ask questions like this on signatures---Great Job guys.

Mr. Zipper 12-25-2012 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donscards (Post 1066555)
You guys are really good---the 2nd Mantle looks close to the first Mantle--I know the last e is different and the 1st M is a bit different...

You are just looking at "shape", which is relatively close. But on close exam, the second exemplar (a common forgery style) is slowly drawn, whereas the first is quickly and smoothly executed.

RichardSimon 12-25-2012 09:11 PM

The stupidest seller I ever met once offered me a Babe Ruth autograph that had a Scoreboard COA with it. The sellers don't get any dumber then that.

Wymers Auction 12-26-2012 08:55 AM

Quote:

You guys are really good---the 2nd Mantle looks close to the first Mantle--I know the last e is different and the 1st M is a bit different---but when Mantle was signing 500 autos a day, dont u think his signature would vary abit---plus he maybe he had a few sips on his break---but this forum is the right place to ask questions like this on signatures---Great Job guys.

I think it is also important to note that this print is a commonly forged medium as Shelly alluded too.

Michael B 12-26-2012 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wymers Auction (Post 1066675)
I think it is also important to note that this print is a commonly forged medium as Shelly eluded too.

James,

Do not want to be picayune, but the correct word is 'alluded' which means suggested or implied. Eluded means escaped or avoided such as 'The fact that this signature was a forgery eluded the experts at JSA and PSA/DNA.' I am married to an editor and I edit scholarly articles for a good friend.

The second part is just an example for humor. I have no dog in the TPA discussion. All of their employees combined don't have the knowledge I have in Olympic signatures which is my sole area of advanced knowledge or 'expertise' if you will. Not ego, just truth.

Cheers and Feliz Aņo Nuevo

Michael

Plinvestments 12-26-2012 01:37 PM

Quote:

The "y" is the giveaway. It doesn't show the swiftness of a real Mantle.

kengoldin 12-26-2012 04:34 PM

Mantle auto

Hello All
Dave the OP from this board emailed me privately on Christmas and i replied. He asked if i would look at a Mantle AND a Dimaggio, BOTH with Score Board certs. I told him to scan the front and back of each photo, and front and back of each cert.
after reviewing the scans I told him both autographs were fake, AND both certificates were counterfeit. I have not posted in a long while, but if anyone ever has a question on an item purported to be from score board always feel free to email me images of the items, and images of the cert. if sending a photo show me front and back (yes the blankk back) and front and back (yes the blank back) of the cert so i can answer accurately. I will remind everyone as well as inform anyone new that Score Board certs have been counterfeited by several different sources since the company went out of business in 1998, and just because it comes with a SB cert, does NOT mean it is an SB item and does NOT mean it is even a real cert.
I will also state, my personal advice would be never buy a petronalla art item purported to be signed by a player. I forwarded the email thread to an EBAY 'patroller' as it was apparently purchased off a new site called 'LISTIA' which i can only assume will have to be looked at for fakes for now on.
good luck
Ken Goldin ken@goldinauctions.com

kengoldin 12-26-2012 04:37 PM

BTW, while on the subject of Mantle. Mantle and Dimaggio were the BEST for me as far as consistency went. Dimaggio signed 1600 items a month, Mantle signed about 1500 a month. each for 2 or more years per the contract. If shown all 1500-1600 items they signed in any given monthly session, i truly would not be able to pick out the first signed, the 500th, or the 1600th. Both were the model of neatness, and consistency

shelly 12-26-2012 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kengoldin (Post 1066773)
Hello All
Dave the OP from this board emailed me privately on Christmas and i replied. He asked if i would look at a Mantle AND a Dimaggio, BOTH with Score Board certs. I told him to scan the front and back of each photo, and front and back of each cert.
after reviewing the scans I told him both autographs were fake, AND both certificates were counterfeit. I have not posted in a long while, but if anyone ever has a question on an item purported to be from score board always feel free to email me images of the items, and images of the cert. if sending a photo show me front and back (yes the blankk back) and front and back (yes the blank back) of the cert so i can answer accurately. I will remind everyone as well as inform anyone new that Score Board certs have been counterfeited by several different sources since the company went out of business in 1998, and just because it comes with a SB cert, does NOT mean it is an SB item and does NOT mean it is even a real cert.
I will also state, my personal advice would be never buy a petronalla art item purported to be signed by a player. I forwarded the email thread to an EBAY 'patroller' as it was apparently purchased off a new site called 'LISTIA' which i can only assume will have to be looked at for fakes for now on.
good luck
Ken Goldin ken@goldinauctions.com

Ken, I really appreciate your agreeing with what I said about the prints.

kengoldin 12-26-2012 08:51 PM

you are correct in your assessment Shelly, but i am sure you knew that!
and for the record, Mantle never signed a SINGLE (not one) Petronella print as part of his contract with Score Board.

Wymers Auction 12-27-2012 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael B (Post 1066711)
James,

Do not want to be picayune, but the correct word is 'alluded' which means suggested or implied. Eluded means escaped or avoided such as 'The fact that this signature was a forgery eluded the experts at JSA and PSA/DNA.' I am married to an editor and I edit scholarly articles for a good friend.

The second part is just an example for humor. I have no dog in the TPA discussion. All of their employees combined don't have the knowledge I have in Olympic signatures which is my sole area of advanced knowledge or 'expertise' if you will. Not ego, just truth.

Cheers and Feliz Aņo Nuevo

Michael

I stand corrected and I thank you for the help and I mean that.