Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   best net 54 threads of alltime? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=141809)

Leon 09-19-2011 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by benjulmag (Post 926250)
Thanks for the response Leon. Perhaps I was too limiting in what I said. I think there should also be prosciptions on making fun of banned posters in such a manner that the person if not banned would feel a need to respond and would if permitted to. Also, the references to Bruce in this thread go beyond just the Archive thread. I am mindful of some of the emails you received, but have always felt two wrongs don't make a right, not to mention that you weren't prevented from responding to those emails. Bruce at this point is down and out. I see no need to pile on.

It is also a bit difficult to defend someone that continues to slam me. And as for the emails, most were sent to my friends WITHOUT me being included in them, if you remember correctly. So I am not sure how one responds to an email that one isn't included on?
No, two wrongs don't make a right, but two Wongs make some great fried rice!! (only joking, please no hate emails)

slidekellyslide 09-19-2011 02:36 PM

The next time I feel sorry for Bruce....well, there won't be a next time.

barrysloate 09-19-2011 03:24 PM

While Corey makes a fair point, if Bruce were allowed to respond it would be a guaranteed train wreck in the making. This thread would go on for three days. Maybe better we leave it as is.

thetruthisoutthere 09-19-2011 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sports-rings (Post 926230)
If you decide to do a "best of" forum, It would be appropriate with our devotion to sports and memorabilia to call it the "Hall of fame of Postings".

In reading the open letter to Ted Taylor, I see how active the board used to be compared with lately. Is that because it was an extremely "hot" topic or is it more that board partcipation down?

Mike, the "Open Letter to STAT and Chris Morales" thread was and still is a very hot topic. I wish I had participated in that thread but I was not aware of Net54 until October 2008 when I first doing my YouTube videos.

novakjr 09-19-2011 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thetruthisoutthere (Post 926281)
Mike, the "Open Letter to STAT and Chris Morales" thread was and still is a very hot topic. I wish I had participated in that thread but I was not aware of Net54 until October 2008 when I first doing my YouTube videos.

Just another reason that I like the corned beef hash thread...It was when I first learned it was you that did those videos(I had suspected it beforehand though).. Honestly Chris, you're one of my favorite people to read posts from on this board. Anytime a questionable autograph comes up, I can't wait to hear what you have to say..

thetruthisoutthere 09-19-2011 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by novakjr (Post 926285)
Just another reason that I like the corned beef hash thread...It was when I first learned it was you that did those videos(I had suspected it beforehand though).. Honestly Chris, you're one of my favorite people to read posts from on this board. Anytime a questionable autograph comes up, I can't wait to hear what you have to say..

David, thank you very much for that flattering comment.

You guys have no idea how much I have learned since I first joined Net54. This is a wonderful place to learn from so many knowledgeable collectors and great people.

And Leon does one helluva job here!!!

Steve D 09-19-2011 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zach Wheat (Post 925982)
My vote would probably go for the Skydash series of threads. That was exciting and pretty neat.

I can't find the original thread that started the discussion....if I do I will re-post with a link.

ZWheat

I agree. That's the first one I thought of.

Steve

Peter_Spaeth 09-19-2011 04:57 PM

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthr...light=shoeless

gnaz01 09-19-2011 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thetruthisoutthere (Post 926292)
David, thank you very much for that flattering comment.

You guys have no idea how much I have learned since I first joined Net54. This is a wonderful place to learn from so many knowledgeable collectors and great people.

And Leon does one helluva job here!!!

Chris, I for one miss your YouTube videos, very much!!!

slidekellyslide 09-19-2011 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 926299)

If Steve Murray hadn't actually met Peter in person I would have forever thought that we were being trolled.

Exhibitman 09-19-2011 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by E93 (Post 926027)
Generally, I think of the train wrecks as the worst threads, not the best. The best are the ones that provide useful and informative information about cards.
JimB

+1

The trainwrecks are just sad...

sbfinley 09-19-2011 05:36 PM

I tried to find it without success, but if someone can dig up the Joe Jackson t206 proof from April Fools Day several years ago it was a fun one. I remember going from "Yeah, good try" to "Holy Crap, Leon says it's legit!" back to "Burned, should have seen that coming."

Abravefan11 09-19-2011 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbfinley (Post 926313)
I tried to find it without success, but if someone can dig up the Joe Jackson t206 proof from April Fools Day several years ago it was a fun one.

April Fools Joe Jackson Proof

sox1903wschamp 09-19-2011 09:39 PM

Loved the threads on the scarcity of E90-1's and on E-94 colors. To name a few. Trainwrecks, not so much.

mets41 09-20-2011 12:27 AM

I like watching police shows/movies on tv and reading about the crooks/scammers here. My favorite was the one a few years ago about the guy selling a raw t206 on ebay (I forget the player). The front picture showed 4 rounded corners. The back picture showed 4 corners sharp enough to cut your enemy's throat.

sports-rings 09-20-2011 06:41 AM

Quote:

Chris, thanks for your relentless efforts to clean the hobby and make collectors aware of the bad stuff out there. Someday we may have the last laugh.

kcohen 09-20-2011 07:28 AM

Any thread in which Marshall Barkman participated.

dstudeba 09-20-2011 09:28 AM

Any thread in which Mark Macrae participates.

Jeff1970Red 06-27-2016 11:56 AM

Bump

robw1959 06-27-2016 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkit1 (Post 925960)
In light of the 10th anniversary here, i was wondering what everyone thought the best threads were for the Net54 Thread hall of fame?
Mine:
The Joe Jackson t202 debacle
The Dorskind boot
Big ass herzogs travels :)

I agree that the Joe Jackson mega-thread was the best of all time. But I didn't consider it to be a debacle at all because of how insightful and investigative it was. In fact, I went ahead and purchased a T202 Lord Catches His Man card as a result, and still have it in my collection to this day. The discovery of Joe in the center panel was amazing, and I still can't believe prices for that card haven't shot through the roof (although it isn't being offered for sale too often). Where else can you going to find an affordable bonafide baseball card of Shoeless Joe in nice condition?

Den*nis O*Brien 06-27-2016 01:26 PM

For Hilarity.........

....Da Noize Guy who was an "accomplished golfer and "Noize Bringer" also the guy who typed all in caps. He has a brick and mortar card shop in northern Illinois. I met him in person at a breakfast buffet in Mendota Illinois by accident.
But for serious knowledge imparted.... any post by Barry Sloate or Mark Macrea was appreciated by me. Ted Z. ditto.....plus many more of our members. But Barkmannnnnnnnnnnn WOW!! A big downside is that he appeared to "run off"( with insult) JoAnn, who had a lot to offer.

Hot Springs Bathers 06-27-2016 01:31 PM

My collection seems to always be in a state of great disorganization so I really enjoy and envy the Anyone Have Memorabilia Room Photos to Share thread.

Paul S 06-27-2016 02:29 PM

And now for something positve...

While trainwreck threads are always a good pile-on rubberneck, as mentioned in an earlier post - 5 years ago!! - I'll go with the Skydash. Guy came on here looking for info and help. At first we all had our collective skeptic antenna up, but he turned out to be very very real. And even a boardmember in his area helped him get the stuff to a reputable AH. The only downer was that he couldn't find the Ruth stuff at the town dump.

Zach Wheat 06-27-2016 03:50 PM

Here was the SkyDash thread:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/15365...nest+appraiser
Follow Up:
http://www.net54baseball.com/showthr...ight=skydash55

More:
http://www.network54.com/Forum/15365...06+cards+found

And the SCD Article:
http://www.sportscollectorsdigest.co...3#1223Articles

Always wondered what happened to the 2 Ruth jerseys that were never found. It was a fun read.....

Z

Aquarian Sports Cards 06-27-2016 04:52 PM

I officially hate this thread. As I knew I would I just wasted an entire afternoon going down these damn rabbit holes. I kept waiting for the other shoe to drop in the Skydash thread, was stunned when it turned out it was legit. That kinda made Bruce suing himself and corned beef all worth it...

bbcard1 06-27-2016 05:18 PM

Travels of Large Ass may be the best thread on the internet.

clydepepper 06-27-2016 05:35 PM

Large Ass for sure...

but, (no pun intended there) I always enjoy what Frank and Bill have to say.

pariah1107 06-27-2016 05:35 PM

Once a band releases a "Greatest Hits" album their career is all but over. Please no, not net54 too :D

Leon 06-27-2016 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbcard1 (Post 1555583)
Travels of Large Ass may be the best thread on the internet.

Speaking of which I got him back in the mail today. He needs to make another journey....He likes the National as he's around a lot of old friends but I won't be going this year. Anyone up to him tagging along for a few selfies and a good time? He's a cheap date!!

mark evans 06-27-2016 05:52 PM

I think the T202 Joe Jackson thread is an example of this Board at its very best. Remarkable research.

jonvancouver 06-27-2016 06:34 PM

Corned Beef Hash is by far the best.

KCRfan1 06-27-2016 06:40 PM

I needed a good laugh, and this thread has provided it! Corn beef hash jokes! ROFL

Eric72 06-27-2016 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 1555587)
Speaking of which I got him back in the mail today. He needs to make another journey....He likes the National as he's around a lot of old friends but I won't be going this year. Anyone up to him tagging along for a few selfies and a good time? He's a cheap date!!

I am not going to the National; however, would be glad to show him around Southeastern PA. Valley Forge, Independnce Hall, etc. Please let me know.

brianp-beme 06-27-2016 06:58 PM

Gorgeous Research

Another great example of unfolding research was this thread:

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=184835

Based on a challenge/question by the original poster whether the players in the ultra-cool White Sox at Royal Gorge postcard had been identified, net54 members, two in particular, proceeded to slowly identify, with photographic comparisions, one player after another (and I think even some of the wives, unless they were kidding!) until all the players were positively pegged. It was really fun watching the mystery unfurl over the weeks.

Brian

Leon 06-27-2016 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric72 (Post 1555619)
I am not going to the National; however, would be glad to show him around Southeastern PA. Valley Forge, Independnce Hall, etc. Please let me know.

Hey Eric
Lets see if he can chaperone someone to the National first and if not he can go right out to you. If he does make the National you can be his next stop, if that is ok? Thanks for the offer too. He appreciates it and is looking forward to it (he's been kind of chatty lately).

Jeff1970Red 06-27-2016 08:25 PM

Herzog

Leon, he can tag along at Fan Fest if available.

begsu1013 06-27-2016 10:39 PM

the archive/bruce thing could be the funniest thing ive read this year! :D

begsu1013 06-27-2016 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by begsu1013 (Post 1555683)
the archive/bruce thing could be the funniest thing ive read this year! :D

Who is this Begsu1013 fellow?

In his post with regard to the archive/bruce attributes a post to us
that we never made.

We take our posts very seriously, and we believe that attributing a post to
Someone else is a crime.

Begsu1013 please issue am immediate apology.

We are prepared to take further action, if necessary.

begsu1013 06-27-2016 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by begsu1013 (Post 1555684)
Begsu1013 please issue am immediate apology. We are prepared to take further action, if necessary.

no.

Thromdog 06-27-2016 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by begsu1013 (Post 1555685)
no.

Dude you're suing yourself

Mark17 06-28-2016 01:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thromdog (Post 1555686)

Which would make no sense for an individual person...

But with The Bruces, you could have Bruce The Plaintiff vs. Bruce The Defendant.

Rich Klein 06-28-2016 04:56 AM

There was one thread which went viral in one day and during the middle of the thread -- Leon and I set up meeting for lunch. That was the most hilarious thread I've ever been real active in.

Eric72 06-28-2016 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 1555645)
Hey Eric
Lets see if he can chaperone someone to the National first and if not he can go right out to you. If he does make the National you can be his next stop, if that is ok? Thanks for the offer too. He appreciates it and is looking forward to it (he's been kind of chatty lately).

That works for me. Thanks, Leon. I look forward to showing him my neck of the woods. :)

4815162342 06-28-2016 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark17 (Post 1555689)
Which would make no sense for an individual person...

But with The Bruces, you could have Bruce The Plaintiff vs. Bruce The Defendant.

You forgot about Bruce the Judge, Bruce the Baliff, as well as all the other Brucii in the jury and the gallery.

darwinbulldog 06-28-2016 02:31 PM

"Let's see some postcards."

the 'stache 06-29-2016 06:17 AM

"I'm almost positive this card features Shoeless Joe"

Still one of the best, if not the best threads I've ever seen on Net 54. Also, one of the very best "first posts" in the forum's history, or at least, since I've been here.

It's the perfect example of just how much collective knowledge the members of our forum have. The photographic analysis, and research done to all but confirm the original poster's assertion makes for a great read. I bookmarked it for a reason.

A casual skim of this topic didn't show me that it had been mentioned, which would surprise me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by darwinbulldog (Post 1555868)
"Let's see some postcards."

I agree, Glenn, that's one of the very best. It's the first thread I ever bookmarked.

begsu1013 06-29-2016 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thromdog (Post 1555686)

yes. that was the joke.

Sean 06-29-2016 11:00 AM

Subject Front/Back Combo Completions is still my favorite.

No drama, just various back-runs from different board members. But maybe you have to be a T206 guy to really like this one. :)

Aquarian Sports Cards 06-29-2016 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the 'stache (Post 1556056)
"I'm almost positive this card features Shoeless Joe"

Still one of the best, if not the best threads I've ever seen on Net 54. Also, one of the very best "first posts" in the forum's history, or at least, since I've been here.

Just read all 70 pages. Drama aside it was an amazing read. Was a conclusion ever drawn on the second possibility? I see talk of another newspaper photo, but I didn't see it anywhere.