Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Altering vs cleaning (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=253469)

Fred 04-06-2018 08:28 AM

Altering vs cleaning

This has probably been discussed a few times already....

At what point is "cleaning" a card not considered "altering" a card.

For example, would it be considered altering a card if you can use water and a towel to clean off obvious smudges of dirt or other surface crud? At what point do you consider "cleaning" to be unacceptable?

Obviously, filling/adding in color (for example the back of an N300) is not acceptable. Filling a hole or adding paper is not acceptable.

"Bleaching" is not acceptable, or at least I don't think it is.

Any comments?

Leon 04-06-2018 08:55 AM

Everyone has their own ideas. Many, such as myself, draw a line at anything more than the most subtle cleaning. I use water, Qtip and a Hi Polymer eraser. It is an art eraser that crumbles easily and is much better than ordinary erasers to help prevent damage to paper when it's rubbed. Under $2 delivered :)

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...eraser&_sop=15

frankbmd 04-06-2018 09:10 AM

Simple

Car Wash :) vs Body Shop :(

Paul S 04-06-2018 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fred (Post 1764874)
At what point is "cleaning" a card not considered "altering" a card.

For example, would it be considered altering a card if you can use water and a towel to clean off obvious smudges of dirt or other surface crud? At what point do you consider "cleaning" to be unacceptable?

"Bleaching" is not acceptable, or at least I don't think it is.

Any comments?

Towel and water, okay. Towle and chems, not okay:D (I think that's the prevailing wisdom:))

drcy 04-06-2018 10:56 AM

Not expressing my personal opinion, but a common rule is when you are removing basic things that are nor original to the card that are ON the card, such as dirt, paper and glue. I say ON, because it gets tricky when, for example, you're using harsh chemicals to remove ink writing (that, obviously, isn't original to the card) that has seeped into the cardstock.

You can alter a card if you want-- there's no law against it--, so long as you clearly identify the alteration at sale.

drcy 04-06-2018 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankbmd (Post 1764883)
Car Wash :) vs Body Shop :(

Agree. That sums it up well.

ullmandds 04-06-2018 11:09 AM

While we've discussed this topic numerous times on here...and we all have our own opinions on the topic. The reality is that any "alteration" that cannot be detected is just fine.

jcc6252 04-06-2018 11:53 AM

Before and After Soaking

2 Attachment(s)
Here is a recently soaked example using warm water and blotting with a paper towel. The "Before" is a little exaggerated, thanks to HA's darkened scans. You would think such a prestigious AH could present more accurate scans. Anyway, I don't see a problem with this cleaning.

irv 04-06-2018 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcc6252 (Post 1764944)
Here is a recently soaked example using warm water and blotting with a paper towel. The "Before" is a little exaggerated, thanks to HA's darkened scans. You would think such a prestigious AH could present more accurate scans. Anyway, I don't see a problem with this cleaning.

I have never cleaned a card before, but I am surprised to see that staining came out that easy with just warm water and a paper towel?

I assumed staining, compared to just dirt, embedded itself deeper into the card stock where a simple soak/paper towel wouldn't remove it?

Eric72 04-06-2018 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul S (Post 1764908)
Towel and water, okay. Towle and chems, not okay:D (I think that's the prevailing wisdom:))

lol

JollyElm 04-06-2018 03:12 PM

To me, it's all about motive. If I think one of my cards could use a soaking to get rid of some gunk, then I'll give it a go...BUT...if I'm thinking of doing it to otherwise 'trick' a potential buyer of said card, that's when you start seeing signs for the ole slippery slope.

jcc6252 04-06-2018 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irv (Post 1764949)
I have never cleaned a card before, but I am surprised to see that staining came out that easy with just warm water and a paper towel?

I assumed staining, compared to just dirt, embedded itself deeper into the card stock where a simple soak/paper towel wouldn't remove it?

I think it depends on the substance. Dirt, grime, or even gum residue is more likely to come out .vs. tobacco juice or toning.

I believe most water soakings will not change the technical grade, just make the card more presentable.

drcy 04-07-2018 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JollyElm (Post 1764993)
To me, it's all about motive. If I think one of my cards could use a soaking to get rid of some gunk, then I'll give it a go...BUT...if I'm thinking of doing it to otherwise 'trick' a potential buyer of said card, that's when you start seeing signs for the ole slippery slope.

Well said

ullmandds 04-07-2018 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JollyElm (Post 1764993)

I guess I don’t really see a big difference in the cleaning up a card so that you can enjoy it for a few years which eventually will get sold likely for more money because it is cleaner than buying a card cleaning it and selling it?

mantlefan 04-08-2018 10:53 AM

Shave and a haircut

Eventually we all sell so I can’t be limited by by that factor. I’m with Leon. Distilled water bath, a cloth and an eraser are my only tools.

Leon 04-11-2018 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ullmandds (Post 1765268)
I guess I don’t really see a big difference in the cleaning up a card so that you can enjoy it for a few years which eventually will get sold likely for more money because it is cleaner than buying a card cleaning it and selling it?

Me too. Generally speaking a better looking card will sell for more. Anyone cleaning one should understand that. So regardless of the motive, cleaning is a win-win for the seller :). ( I dislike that saying) BTW, I like the Towle reference above...

Fred 04-13-2018 06:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The reason for the post is because I was looking for a little guidance and advice. I've never done any "doctoring/cleaning" of any cards and was a bit paranoid that:
1 - I'd be violating some type of code of ethics
2 - I'd destroy a paper item which I can't replace

Thank you guys for the advice and guidance. You can see the difference in the card before/after. Note, I didn't scan the before image, I found it from a web site and used it as my reference as "before". You can see the "cleaned" image on the right. Q-tip and water and gentle scrubbing removed a lot of dirt and crud.

Thanks again!

http://www.net54baseball.com/attachm...1&d=1523665239