Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   What to do with the shiny stuff (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=237085)

rdwyer 03-18-2017 07:16 PM

What to do with the shiny stuff

I'm donating 70,000+ Baseball, Basketball, Football & Hockey cards to my elementary school where I volunteer. Afterschool the class of First Graders that I volunteer for, are going to be selling 25 cards for a dollar to the students. They can make up to $2800 for their classroom.

That's what you do with the shiny stuff! California schools are taking a big hit this year thanks to Trump. Help your local school.

granite75 03-18-2017 07:38 PM

I'm a teacher and I appreciate you thinking of the schools. I buy a couple of boxes a year and give out the packs to the kids. Though I'm not big on modern cards, they love them.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

vintagetoppsguy 03-18-2017 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rdwyer (Post 1642518)
California schools are taking a big hit this year thanks to Trump.

Seriously? :rolleyes:

rdwyer 03-18-2017 08:02 PM

Yep, gonna be major cuts. Layoffs, etc.

http://www.latimes.com/local/educati...htmlstory.html

Sean 03-18-2017 09:30 PM

Leaving politics aside, that's a great gesture. :)

NiceDocter 03-18-2017 10:44 PM

I gave over 100,000 cards to the local Ronald McDonald house this last year..... remember that brothers and sisters as well as parents of sick children who stay there need distractions from the day to day medical stuff their family is going through..... so why not let em go through some cards and see what they can find? I purposely did NOT pull out stars and rookies, etc so they can have a little boost to their hunting and maybe some joy!

JollyElm 03-19-2017 12:54 AM

Quote:

That's what you do with the shiny stuff! California schools are taking a big hit this year thanks to Trump. Help your local school.

Funny how no matter how many times it's said to NOT talk politics here, you freakin' liberals always dive right in and take shots at Trump, after eight years of complete silence about Obama. Here's an idea. If the schools need money so badly, why don't you tell the teacher's unions to stop spending untold millions of dollars supporting liberal pieces of crap like Hillary Clinton and instead donate that money to the schools???

You see, Dwyer, if you're going to be douchey and try to shove your pathetic political crap down our throats, there are plenty of people like me who are here to tell you to go eff yourself!!

Stonepony 03-19-2017 06:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JollyElm (Post 1642589)
Funny how no matter how many times it's said to NOT talk politics here, you freakin' liberals always dive right in and take shots at Trump, after eight years of complete silence about Obama. Here's an idea. If the schools need money so badly, why don't you tell the teacher's unions to stop spending untold millions of dollars supporting liberal pieces of crap like Hillary Clinton and instead donate that money to the schools???

You see, Dwyer, if you're going to be douchey and try to shove your pathetic political crap down our throats, there are plenty of people like me who are here to tell you to go eff yourself!!

+1

Leon 03-19-2017 06:21 AM

Infraction given for political talk. Keep it off the board.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rdwyer (Post 1642536)
Yep, gonna be major cuts. Layoffs, etc.

http://www.latimes.com/local/educati...htmlstory.html

drmondobueno 03-19-2017 07:59 PM

Love politics. I do something about it every day when I'm on the _______

Bpm0014 03-20-2017 08:51 AM

+2

Cliff Bowman 03-20-2017 11:09 AM

Quote:

When you take advantage of those two guys with the million dollar collection that don't know crap, why don't you take those obscene profits and help out the soon to be destitute California schools?

mikemb 03-20-2017 11:53 AM

Quote:

I'm donating 70,000+ Baseball, Basketball, Football & Hockey cards to my elementary school where I volunteer. Afterschool the class of First Graders that I volunteer for, are going to be selling 25 cards for a dollar to the students. They can make up to $2800 for their classroom.

Quote:

Originally Posted by granite75 (Post 1642527)
I'm a teacher and I appreciate you thinking of the schools. I buy a couple of boxes a year and give out the packs to the kids. Though I'm not big on modern cards, they love them.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Quote:

Originally Posted by NiceDocter (Post 1642579)
I gave over 100,000 cards to the local Ronald McDonald house this last year..... remember that brothers and sisters as well as parents of sick children who stay there need distractions from the day to day medical stuff their family is going through..... so why not let em go through some cards and see what they can find? I purposely did NOT pull out stars and rookies, etc so they can have a little boost to their hunting and maybe some joy!

Great deeds for kids and schools!!!

Mountaineer1999 03-20-2017 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cliff Bowman (Post 1643022)
When you take advantage of those two guys with the million dollar collection that don't know crap, why don't you take those obscene profits and help out the soon to be destitute California schools?

+1

Grammont 03-20-2017 07:12 PM

Quote:

+3

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tjb1952tjb 03-21-2017 01:42 AM

yepper...........

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stonepony (Post 1642602)
+1

+4

BruceinGa 03-21-2017 06:03 AM

Quote:

California schools are taking a big hit this year thanks to Trump.

Maybe California should raise taxes. Oh, never mind. :rolleyes:

KMayUSA6060 03-21-2017 08:43 AM

Quote:

Somewhat ignoring the unjustifiable shot at Trump, you really could take this a step further and place big government, California-style taxes on their $2800 profits. After all, this is a school where the goal is to educate our youth and prepare them for the realities of life, correct?

Quote:

I think we are at +5?

Leon, I'm sorry for furthering this discussion and advancing the political talk one post more, but I don't appreciate the shot at Trump. The OP could have just stated that they volunteer at a school and are going to donate their 70k+ cards to the class for them to sell after school as a fundraiser. It's a great gesture, and advances the growth of the hobby with the next generation. But he went the extra step and took a jab at Trump. There have been 8+ years of censored silence from the Right because it's not "Politically Correct" to talk politics in public settings, especially when it comes to the Right's viewpoints/opinions. I'm glad JollyElm spoke up and voiced his frustration. The teacher's union comment just barely scratches the surface of political frustration with the original post, and I will refrain from going into any more depth on the subject. Again, sorry for furthering the political discussion. Well said, Darren, and put me in the group of "people like you". I would support this thread being deleted and the original poster posting a new thread regarding his kind gesture, omitting his political stance.

Rich Falvo 03-21-2017 08:48 AM

I think this thread needs to be deleted or locked. I can read this kind of stuff on Facebook if I want. One of the reasons I came here was the ban on political stuff.

Leon 03-21-2017 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Falvo (Post 1643279)
I think this thread needs to be deleted or locked. I can read this kind of stuff on Facebook if I want. One of the reasons I came here was the ban on political stuff.

Oh don't worry, Rich. It ain't happening here.....at least for long.

Infraction given to Kyle for the same as the OP. This is a 1 infraction game, usually. Thanks to all for not talking politics. No matter what side you are on there are close to 50% that disagree. And to top off this last infraction, if anyone else wants to make political comments in this thread they will be suspended.

mikemb 03-21-2017 08:56 AM

Leon - I'm also sorry about continuing this. The OP was wrong in citing Trump, but so was JollyElm in his rant. Everyone has different views they believe in and they should not be discussed on this board. I come here to get away from all of that stuff. Mike

Leon 03-21-2017 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikemb (Post 1643284)
Leon - I'm also sorry about continuing this. The OP was wrong in citing Trump, but so was JollyElm in his rant. Everyone has different views they believe in and they should not be discussed on this board. I come here to get away from all of that stuff. Mike

No worries. Politics need to be discussed any place but here on this forum. And it's nothing personal. Just ask some friends, I like to rant and rave with the rest but no good can come of it here. :)