Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   SGC sale price "records" (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=260496)

swarmee 09-30-2018 01:55 PM

SGC sale price "records"

SGC has been flooding Facebook with an attempt to show their cards are the most valuable graded cards on the market. Too bad they barely do enough research to confirm it.
https://scontent-dfw5-2.xx.fbcdn.net...a1&oe=5C626C08

PSA 6.5 in May 2017:
https://www.psacard.com/auctionprice...auction/610324

Looks like they've already removed some of their false advertising about selling for the highest from their Facebook page after I responded back that other PSA cards in the same grade have sold for higher in the past. Just didn't happen to be in the search engines they looked in.

Most of the comparisons they're doing are also on thinly traded cards or oddball half grades that don't sell often. And failing to mention that top vintage tobacco cards have doubled or tripled in the past two years.

Advertising their brand is fine, but claiming to "OUT PERFORM ALL THE REST!" while posting pictures of cards that didn't actually do that or don't have a wide enough sales history to be adequately advertised as such is misleading or outright false. SGC, please do better research on these cards before you make your pictographs.

SetBuilder 09-30-2018 02:19 PM

Aren't you supposed to buy the card and not the holder? Are SGC and PSA slabs collectible now?

GasHouseGang 09-30-2018 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SetBuilder (Post 1816494)
Aren't you supposed to buy the card and not the holder? Are SGC and PSA slabs collectible now?

Actually yes, the slabs are collectible. Ever since the registry became a way to brag about your collection, the slabs have taken over.

Zan 09-30-2018 03:07 PM

I hate how everything is about price these days. I had an order at SGC that they wouldn't grade, and the rep told me that "I can just sell them as is". I don't want to sell them, I'm a collector, and why should they assume that I am in it for the money?

FWIW, I greatly prefer SGC over PSA.

slidekellyslide 09-30-2018 03:43 PM

Not that their old slab designs were something to write home about, but their new design is horrific. And my facebook has also been filled with their SPAM. I always click on them though because usually someone has posted a link to disprove their claim and it gives me a little chuckle.

BobbyVCP 10-01-2018 11:31 AM

There claim on this card is correct because the highest PSA 7 sold on 4/11/16 for $4,156.99.

Guess they did not bother to check to see if cards graded lower sold for more...

pokerplyr80 10-01-2018 12:14 PM

Why shouldn't they advertise sales for their graded cards that break records? PSA does the same thing. As do all of the auction houses. What a lower graded card sold for doesn't change the fact that the sale of the 7 broke a record for the highest price paid for a 7.

Snapolit1 10-01-2018 12:46 PM

I like the new slabs.

I don't think their ads are any more deceptive than 1000s of auction house write ups I've seen that breathlessly say "none higher" and stuff like that when what they really mean is none higher for that specific grader.

drcy 10-01-2018 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SetBuilder (Post 1816494)

Certainly they are. People resumbit a card just to get a new label.

drcy 10-01-2018 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snapolit1 (Post 1816736)
I like the new slabs.

I don't think their ads are any more deceptive than 1000s of auction house write ups I've seen that breathlessly say "none higher" and stuff like that when what they really mean is none higher for that specific grader.

"aren't any more deceptive" or "aren't any worse than" aren't good defenses :)

orly57 10-01-2018 02:03 PM

You really hate SGC huh? Judging by your constant barrage of posts, I don’t think I hate anyone or anything as much as you hate SGC. It’s unnatural and probably bad for the soul. Let it go.

swarmee 10-01-2018 05:13 PM

Hate? Nah, just a devil's advocate. I am a PSA homer; no qualms about that. Just the "OUT PERFORM ALL THE REST" schtick is getting under my skin. If a 7 that sets a record for 7s outperformed all the rest, it would certainly outperform a 6.5 sold a year ago graded by PSA.
They also are comparing PSA 10 prices to their SGC 100 Pristine cards, when they should only be comparing them to BGS realized prices, because PSA doesn't offer a Pristine grade.

There's plenty of SGC homers and PSA bashers on the board; figured it's worth it to be a counterpoint.

1952boyntoncollector 10-01-2018 05:26 PM

I actually like the SGC new design and have noticed decent prices on the new holders but obviously if you can just reholder the old older to the new holder then that waters that down

Throttlesteer 10-01-2018 10:28 PM

I think PSA 10s from the latest generation of holder is close to the "Pristine" standard. They are much, much tougher than they used to be.

oldjudge 10-01-2018 11:49 PM

It seems to me that PSA graded cards sell for more, sometimes a lot more, than their SGC counterparts due to their active set registry. Both are capable graders, SGC holders are OK (I hate the big numbers though), but in terms of resale value I don’t think it is even close.

bobbyw8469 10-02-2018 03:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldjudge (Post 1816856)
It seems to me that PSA graded cards sell for more, sometimes a lot more, than their SGC counterparts due to their active set registry. Both are capable graders, SGC holders are OK (I hate the big numbers though), but in terms of resale value I don’t think it is even close.

It's not. I once had a 1960 SGC 9 common I let fly for .99 cent on Ebay. It sold for $3.20 I think. It's PSA counterpart meanwhile was sold by PWCC for $136.88. I don't know if that was a PWCC phenomenon or the SGC disparity or perhaps a little of both. That one kinda made me realize PSA was who I wanted grading my cards.

familytoad 10-02-2018 04:06 AM

Keeping this to prewar, as it should be...SGC has been on par for the non registry sets from what I follow.

Post war, there seems to be a strong consensus that SGC prices pale in comparison, probably due to registry. Well documented and widely talked about on this board.

As mentioned, boasting about a particular grade and its sale is probably always going to happen, and has a good chance to be stale news as soon as the next hammer hits. Way too many postwar high grade cards out there, and they seem constantly for sale.
So what?:cool:

Other than T206 whose availability rivals 52 Topps, SGC cards look to being doing fine in prewar. Maybe even setting records...