Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Just how bad do B.J. Upton and Dan Uggla suck? Worst I have ever seen! (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=186311)

CMIZ5290 04-11-2014 07:19 PM

Just how bad do B.J. Upton and Dan Uggla suck? Worst I have ever seen!

These guys are an absolute joke, especially factoring in their contracts. Both hit less than .180 last year, they are averaging about the same this year, and make 15-20 million a year. What a freaking joke, but yet the Braves do nothing about it....

D. Bergin 04-11-2014 10:45 PM

Not much they can do. They are stuck. If this was the NFL, both would have been cut a long time ago.

freakhappy 04-12-2014 12:12 AM

Kevin...they suck so bad, they do not deserve to be described as "suck"...it's too good of a word. At this point, they are both a**holes for blowing so bad. I cannot stand when players are this bad and they make that much money. First off, why did the Braves agree to deals with either of these fools? It's not like they were that good to sign them to decent money in the first place...what a shame. You would think teams would learn after a while.

HRBAKER 04-16-2014 07:53 PM

Trifecta

Meanwhile as they are sucking Jason Heyward is batting a robust .145.

Gobucsmagic74 04-16-2014 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HRBAKER (Post 1266355)
Meanwhile as they are sucking Jason Heyward is batting a robust .145.

At a tenth of the salary, but yeah, he's off to his usual terrible start. Beginning to lose hope that he has "it" or that he's ever gonna find "it" honestly

HRBAKER 04-16-2014 08:19 PM

Recent Braves right field history repeating itself unfortunately. Like Francouer he seems to be a solid citizen but beginning to look like a moderate bust.

This guy, on the other hand, looks to be the real deal.

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps1f153819.jpg

I Only Smoke 4 the Cards 04-20-2014 04:28 PM

I think Upton will hit over 220 this year. Call it a guy feeling. Uggla is another story. I don't know what happened to him since he got to Atlanta.

CMIZ5290 04-20-2014 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by I Only Smoke 4 the Cards (Post 1267368)
I think Upton will hit over 220 this year. Call it a guy feeling. Uggla is another story. I don't know what happened to him since he got to Atlanta.

Alex- not really sure if you are being sarcastic or not? BJ Upton hitting .220 this year, and a whopping .180 last year?. I think Stevie Wonder could hit .180 with the right batting coach. Hell, it's amazing what 19 mil. per year will get you these days...Both of them suck tremendously, oh by the way, Uggla 2 more errors today.

I Only Smoke 4 the Cards 04-22-2014 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CMIZ5290 (Post 1267422)
Alex- not really sure if you are being sarcastic or not? BJ Upton hitting .220 this year, and a whopping .180 last year?. I think Stevie Wonder could hit .180 with the right batting coach. Hell, it's amazing what 19 mil. per year will get you these days...Both of them suck tremendously, oh by the way, Uggla 2 more errors today.

I am being serious. I am big Rays fan and was sad to see Upton go to the Braves (but who could blame him for the money). He is going to strike out and have a low BA but he should hit for decent power, steal bases and provide a strong OF arm. I have him on both of my fantasy teams (disclaimer: I also picked him last year) and he has been getting warmer at the plate.

I Only Smoke 4 the Cards 04-22-2014 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HRBAKER (Post 1266368)
Recent Braves right field history repeating itself unfortunately. Like Francouer he seems to be a solid citizen but beginning to look like a moderate bust.

This guy, on the other hand, looks to be the real deal.

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps1f153819.jpg

Franceour has played in the MLB over 9 years and owns a .263 BA. I don't call that a bust. He was an above average batter and had a great OF arm.

HRBAKER 04-22-2014 06:34 PM

If those were my stats, I would consider myself a serviceable MLer.
I think when you look @ Frenchy's best three years and the fact they were his first three by and large and how he could never adjust to ML pitching after they figured out how to pitch to him - he's a moderate bust to me.
And I think Heyward is headed down the same path apparently.

I Only Smoke 4 the Cards 04-25-2014 11:42 AM

I don't think it's fair to fault a player for "what could have been."

HRBAKER 04-25-2014 06:59 PM

Oh I don't know, he got paid 7.5 million to hit .205 in 2013. I think life has been pretty fair to Jeff. That's a bust.

packs 04-29-2014 12:29 PM

BJ started wearing new glasses and so far he's been making more contact.

Can't tell you if there's anything out there that will help Dan Uggla though.

Runscott 04-30-2014 08:36 PM

Francouer has had good years and bad years, scattered throughout his nine years - 2011 was one of the best of his career, so it hasn't been a matter of pitchers figured out how to handle him and then he went to hell.

But his last two years have sucked and I would say a bad 2014 and his career is pretty much over.

I Only Smoke 4 the Cards 05-02-2014 07:50 AM

I think BJ will rebound. He had been making better contact since the above mentioned glasses.

CMIZ5290 05-08-2014 04:59 PM

Both of these guys suck so bad, it might go down in history as the worst two contacts in baseball (both on the same team!). The Braves have got to do something if anything to show good faith to the fans....

CMIZ5290 06-09-2014 05:25 PM

The situation with these 2 losers might be the biggest travesty in major sports history. Here we are again well into the year, and their stats suck even worse than last year's. The money the Braves are paying these idiots is absolutely mind boggling. Is it just me, or why in the hell isn't more being made of this??? Can anyone think of a worst example in Sports history than this? Keep in mind, we are talking about 2 players....

djson1 06-09-2014 05:52 PM

You know what it is? All these guys have been off of the 'roids because they were afraid of getting caught now. That's why they were "decent stars" about 5 years ago but have since sucked really bad. That's the only logical explanation I can think of. How can you suck so bad all of a sudden?
If I can throw out another name: Kemp. I don't know how he could suck so bad after having such MVP numbers. Injuries, sure...but I'm skeptical. I still think it's ridiculous to pay any major leaguer the amount of money these guys are paid for doing jack. And then they get injured and the fans are supposed to cut them slack. I'm sorry, but I ain't cutting slack for any guy who gets paid over $10 Million for playing sports. They get paid ridiculous amounts.....they should expect criticism to come with the territory.

D. Bergin 06-10-2014 11:26 AM

Probably just best to sit these guys if they can, and eat the contracts.

Looks like the Braves might have a nice replacement for Uggla at 2nd Base in Tommy LaStella. No power but put up some nice numbers in the minors. I don't know how good he is defensively.

He certainly can't do any worse then Uggla.

B.J., I don't know. They might not have a suitable replacement for him. Braves fans could probably answer that question better. The other complication may be not wanting to upset the productive Upton brother on the team.

I Only Smoke 4 the Cards 06-10-2014 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CMIZ5290 (Post 1285699)
The situation with these 2 losers might be the biggest travesty in major sports history. Here we are again well into the year, and their stats suck even worse than last year's. The money the Braves are paying these idiots is absolutely mind boggling. Is it just me, or why in the hell isn't more being made of this??? Can anyone think of a worst example in Sports history than this? Keep in mind, we are talking about 2 players....

Upton is having a much better year that last year (even though that's not saying much). As for the biggest travesty in major sports history I think there are a few contracts that are worse than this (Ex: Zito, Lackey, Arod).

packs 06-10-2014 01:54 PM

Even with how crappy these guys are at least they're playing.

The Yankees paid Pedro Feliciano 7.75 million dollars over two seasons and he never appeared in a game for them.

They also paid Damaso Marte 11.75 million dollars to pitch 30 innings for them.

And let's not forget good old Carl Pavano, who we paid 38 million dollars for 9 wins over 4 seasons.

I Only Smoke 4 the Cards 06-10-2014 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by packs (Post 1286013)

The Yankees paid Pedro Feliciano 7.75 million dollars over two seasons and he never appeared in a game for them.

And let's not forget good old Carl Pavano, who we paid 38 million dollars for 9 wins over 4 seasons.

That Feliciano deal was a heart breaker. Did he ever get healthy?

djson1 06-10-2014 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by packs (Post 1286013)

I just looked up the records of these guys and I'm really sick (maybe jealous is a better word) that teams fork over this much money for nothing. What did Feliciano and Marte ever do to warrant such good money? At least Pavano had some decent seasons...so, I could see how teams expected more from him (even though it eventually proved a big waste of money). But I look at Feliciano's record and I can't understand what they were expecting.

CMIZ5290 06-10-2014 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by I Only Smoke 4 the Cards (Post 1285970)
Upton is having a much better year that last year (even though that's not saying much). As for the biggest travesty in major sports history I think there are a few contracts that are worse than this (Ex: Zito, Lackey, Arod).

I honestly think that the Upton deal will go down as the worst in Baseball history. You compare it with Arod? Hell, he's still Arod. Upton was a .240 hitter when he got a deal comparable to a Superstar. Frank Wren should be really proud, he's the laughing stock of MLB.....

I Only Smoke 4 the Cards 06-11-2014 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CMIZ5290 (Post 1286131)
I honestly think that the Upton deal will go down as the worst in Baseball history. You compare it with Arod? Hell, he's still Arod. Upton was a .240 hitter when he got a deal comparable to a Superstar. Frank Wren should be really proud, he's the laughing stock of MLB.....

I don't view Arod being Arod as a positive thing. I wonder who is the worse player in the league in terms of WAR/$

packs 06-11-2014 08:56 AM

Upton was nearly a 30-30 centerfielder when he got his deal. I wouldn't categorize him as only a 240 hitter when he signed.

CMIZ5290 06-27-2014 07:47 PM

Update... Uggla average .165, Upton .205.....What an absolue joke both of these players are....I have followed sports for over 30 years, this is the biggest joke I have ever seen, bar none......

CMIZ5290 06-27-2014 07:51 PM

Another thing that really pisses me off is their lack of caring. They make a stupid play and just have a face like who gives a s***. They strike out, and just walk back spitting tobacco juice.....What a freaking joke....Nice job Frank Wren, you are an idiot as well....

CMIZ5290 06-27-2014 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by packs (Post 1286307)
Upton was nearly a 30-30 centerfielder when he got his deal. I wouldn't categorize him as only a 240 hitter when he signed.

No offense Packs, but this guy is an absolute joke. In the 2 years he has been a Brave, I ask you, what defining moment has he had? I would rather have Stevie Wonder hitting than him....

CMIZ5290 06-27-2014 08:05 PM

:mad::mad::o:o
Quote:

Originally Posted by I Only Smoke 4 the Cards (Post 1271570)
I think BJ will rebound. He had been making better contact since the above mentioned glasses.

Really????

clydepepper 06-27-2014 08:51 PM

What really irks me the most about BJ is how often he argues about pitches being called strikes...is he looking for BP? What makes him think that anyone would respect his opinion on what is or is not a strike?

As far as Uggla is concerned, I have never liked his swing. When he misses, his backswing looks incredibly uncomfortable. Though I admit that I am no professional, I have always thought that a smoother swing is better and more efficient. The follow-though should almost be graceful...which is the last thing Uggla's swing could possibly be called.

The amazing thing is that he holds the Atlanta record with a 34-game hitting streak...which, by the way, was preceded and followed by more zeros than Warren Buffett's bank balance.

Signed,
A long-suffering Braves' fan
(Who would have thought that loosing only 45% of your games over a quarter of a century would be so difficult to endure.)

old13man 06-27-2014 09:24 PM

I'm a Braves fan and agree he is terrible! I think they are scared to make any kind of adjustment because it will throw off his brother!

packs 06-28-2014 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CMIZ5290 (Post 1292142)
No offense Packs, but this guy is an absolute joke. In the 2 years he has been a Brave, I ask you, what defining moment has he had? I would rather have Stevie Wonder hitting than him....

I agree with you. My only point was that when Upton got his deal he'd almost been a 30-30 centerfielder. At the time he looked like he was breaking out, especially with his power and he was young. They paid him way too much money no doubt about it. But no one could have seen this coming.

clydepepper 06-28-2014 02:17 PM

More than the averages, it's the strikeouts that really make them risky to even play...the majors have gotten real accepting of strikeouts, but that attitude should be reserved for the player, like Jim Thome for instance, that still produces.

A strikeout is the ultimate wasted out - and the Braves cannot afford to be wasting so many of those. It puts a great deal of pressure on the pitching staff and the defense.

I cannot quote the exact figures, but I'd guess that not only do the Braves drive in less runners , they probably advance less runners than anyone. Last year Freeman was an exception, as the entire Cardinals team was, but those were not normal production, and both Freeman and the Cardinals have come back to earth.

You add the incredible string of injuries to the pitching staff, and it is difficult to see this Braves team doing anything but watching in October...again.

packs 06-30-2014 09:10 AM

They should have never let Hudson go. How much better would their staff look with him there? Seeing the year he's having, it would be killing me.

I Only Smoke 4 the Cards 06-30-2014 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CMIZ5290 (Post 1292145)
:mad::mad::o:o Really????

I was wrong on this one. Upton's decline has shocked me. He has lost his sense of the zone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I Only Smoke 4 the Cards 06-30-2014 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CMIZ5290 (Post 1292138)
Update... Uggla average .165, Upton .205.....What an absolue joke both of these players are....I have followed sports for over 30 years, this is the biggest joke I have ever seen, bar none......

I have to disagree with the biggest bust argument. For me Jamarcus Russell still takes the cake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TUM301 07-01-2014 12:11 PM

Sports wise Russell was bad, but maybe, maybe Greg Oden gives him a run for his $$$$$$$$$. $$$$$$$$ literally !

frankbmd 07-05-2014 06:03 AM

Fyi

B J Upton autograph is currently being offered in the Live Auction Section of BST.:D

Sorry, but Uggla is out of stock.;)

clydepepper 07-06-2014 12:05 PM

Me, Superstious, Darn Right:

On Thursday, June 26, the hot Georgia summer finally got to me and I once again shaved my head.

This necessitates me wearing a cap when outside...and it is a Braves' cap.

The Braves have not lost since... (Freddie Gonzales- overrated?)

'Don't mess with a streak' - so I'm keeping it clean like Mr. Clean!

Davino 09-17-2014 12:26 AM

they stopped taking steroids & HGH.