Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   1925 autographed HoF letter (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=323004)

CooperstownExpert 08-03-2022 02:52 PM

1925 autographed HoF letter

1 Attachment(s)
Wanted to tap into the forum's collective expertise about this Bucky Harris letter. There sure isn't a market for Harris forgeries but the Memphis postmark bothers me a little.

Here's a little more info...it's dated September 20, 1925. Harris' Senators were at home for a day game. Then the had an off day on 9/21 before playing a day game in Washington on 9/22. Harris played in each game.

I've searched a ton for the letter's recipient, Douglas Barbour. All I've found is that he did live in Memphis and played in a railroad baseball league.

Do you think Harris penned and signed the letter? If so, how is the postmark explained?

tha-rock 08-04-2022 01:14 PM

That is indeed a mystery! I can't provide a credible explanation, but this fascinates me. No way Harris could have been in two places at the same time. Nothing makes sense with this letter and postmark on the same day the letter was written.

NiceDocter 08-04-2022 10:21 PM

hmm

Its a Memphis Hotel stationery with postmark Memphis same day it was written. I think Harris was just used to writing Washington DC and was on "autopilot" when he wrote that. Its the only explanation that makes sense.

Lucas00 08-04-2022 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NiceDocter (Post 2249114)
Its a Memphis Hotel stationery with postmark Memphis same day it was written. I think Harris was just used to writing Washington DC and was on "autopilot" when he wrote that. Its the only explanation that makes sense.

I think you are a bit confused, it was penned in Memphis and sent in Memphis. The same day he had a game in Washington. Which is impossible. Unless I'm misinterpreting.

I think the only explanation is it was written at an earlier date and sent for him by somebody else when they got to Memphis.
The contents Seemed very urgent and it's definitely possible to make that in a day on a train.

Maybe he had the paper on hand from a different trip? I can't think of anything else

CooperstownExpert 08-05-2022 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucas00 (Post 2249115)
I think you are a bit confused, it was penned in Memphis and sent in Memphis. The same day he had a game in Washington. Which is impossible. Unless I'm misinterpreting.

I think the only explanation is it was written at an earlier date and sent for him by somebody else when they got to Memphis.
The contents Seemed very urgent and it's definitely possible to make that in a day on a train.

Maybe he had the paper on hand from a different trip? I can't think of anything else

Could Harris have been connected with someone via airmail? Being in DC he likely developed friendships of some interesting folks.

Did he have leftover stationary from the Memphis hotel, write it on that, then mail it? Sometimes I'll get letter today from other states with only a postmark from here.

It's possible though highly unlikely that he took the 15-year train ride after the game. Stayed in Memphis for a few hours, then took the train back. He had an off day on the 21st.

I feel very good about the letter being penned by Bucky. The postmark and letterhead make for a good mystery