Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   WaterCooler Talk- Off Topics (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Invasion of Privacy? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=149909)

Leon 04-12-2012 08:57 AM

Invasion of Privacy?

So we know we have several thousand registered members on the board...and about 50 of us post :). I approve everyone manually once they send me the few bits of required info. NO doubt in my mind it helps keep out trolls and helps keep our BST as safe as it can be. (always caveat emptor though). A few days ago a guy didn't want to give me his day time phone number. I told him it's a requirement. He told me it was an invasion of his privacy? I told him HE was the one registering, not me, and he didn't have to give me anything he didn't want to, he just can't be a member if he didn't. I had never have someone use that one on me. I would say that about 1 in 300 people don't want to give their info, which is fine, they just aren't members. Crazy, I tell ya'......and I never heard back from this private fellow.

bn2cardz 04-12-2012 09:25 AM

I know I don't like to give out my info without reading a website's privacy policy. So when I signed up here I was hesitant without there being an established privacy policy. Then I thought I really wanted to be on the forum, since I had read through it so much and you weren't asking for info that couldn't be found with a decent internet search. Also there was no hidden mask, I knew who I was sending it to (though I don't know you personally, you don't keep your name hidden).

brett 75 04-12-2012 08:16 PM

I am also a fairly private person as well but the minimal amount of info requested was definatley well worth the risk :D . As Leon stated before only about 50 people post . When I first came on it was slightly intimidating even for me who has collected for quite some time as some of the members on the board have some very fine collections and extensive knowledge of the hobby , but I soon realized that no matter how lame my questions are someone here can usually help out. Don't be afraid to kick in a little input once in a while ! I've found this to be one of the best and most informative sites around , Thanks Leon ! , Brett

drc 04-12-2012 11:19 PM

I've been a member of this board since the beginning, and Leon's never called me. Though he did edit a post when I used the f word.

teetwoohsix 04-13-2012 07:31 PM

Great response Leon.

I, like David, have never recieved a phone call from Leon either- but I do get a very nice birthday email from him :)

Sincerely, Clayton

gnaz01 04-14-2012 04:00 PM

I've never heard from Leon either, but IF he did call, I am sure we would have a great collecting conversation! :D

dstraate 04-17-2012 07:49 AM

As I cruise through other areas of the web, I'm glad we have this layer of accountability. I can't even read the comments on Yahoo articles or ESPN forums anymore. Just disgusting garbage unfortunately.