Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Bob Feller original photo for Topps cards? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=251076)

Dewey 02-08-2018 10:37 PM

Bob Feller original photo for Topps cards?

2 Attachment(s)
I picked up this Bob Feller photo. I liked it despite, even because of, the editorial markings. It seems to me that it is the source photo for Feller's 1954 Topps Scoop and 1956 Topps cards (see below). Considering the outlining, is there any chance I am looking at the original photo used to make the cards?

http://www.vintagecardprices.com/pics/2783/177250.jpghttp://www.tradingcarddb.com/Images/...7/37-200Fr.jpg

71buc 02-09-2018 01:03 AM

Great pick up looks like a match to me.

Mark70Z 02-09-2018 02:31 AM

Feller

Think it’s a very good possibility. The back looks very similar to a match print photo that I have that was used for a Topps produced card. Very cool piece.

Scott Garner 02-09-2018 03:57 AM

Dewey,
It sure looks like a perfect match to me as well. Congrats, neat pickup! :D

Dewey 02-09-2018 08:01 AM

Super cool. Thanks for having a look! Appreciate it.

Dewey 02-09-2018 11:02 AM

It just hit me. That mound on the 56 Topps is HUGE! :D

icollectDCsports 02-09-2018 11:26 AM

I always love seeing the photos that inspired particular cards.

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE 02-09-2018 12:31 PM

Great find! Even better eye.

JollyElm 02-09-2018 03:30 PM

This may or may not be pertinent to the question at hand, but please realize that although your photo has the clear marks of editing (basically Wite-Out), it doesn't go fully down and around his planted foot. The photo itself matches, but it is doubtful (to me, at least) that it was used to actually create the Topps card. Again, I'm not sure if that's specifically what you are asking.

perezfan 02-09-2018 06:37 PM

I think that is what he was asking specifically, and agree with you. The white-out would likely surround the ankle and foot, if that was the actual photo utilized by Topps. I think this one was used for a different purpose.

Still a great photo, and same exact image as appears on the Topps Cards.

Dewey 02-10-2018 12:39 AM

Thanks Stephen.

Thanks Darren and Mark. I was wondering about the white-out on the bottom too. I think you both are right.

JLange 02-10-2018 05:33 AM

Great pickup!

That's a great Bob Feller photo! I had no idea that the same image was used for both the '54 Topps Scoops and the '56 Topps Bob Feller card action photo. What a great find! Congrats!

Mark70Z 02-10-2018 09:06 AM

Topps

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark70Z (Post 1746437)
Think it’s a very good possibility. The back looks very similar to a match print photo that I have that was used for a Topps produced card. Very cool piece.

I know it’s weird quoting myself, but still think it’s a “very good possibility” that this was used for the card or possibility cards.

1. On the Scoop card notice the right foot portion of the card. It’s on a different angle than that of the actual photo. Therefore, we know this was the photo used for the card, even if a different match print, so the foot portion would have needed to be drawn by an artist for this card. Also, we know that the picture is B&W and the color would need to be added.

2. The ‘56 Topps is more of a likely possibility to me mainly due to the right leg and left cleat (anyone have the Feller photo without the wite-out?). Appears that both of these areas have unique shapes that match or line up, at least using my aged eyes, to be a match to the photo (Darren...why don’t you do one of those cool things you do for variances in cards for this?!?).

Like I mentioned the back of the photo looks just like a match print photo that I have from Topps. Looks like there is a stamp or some type of writing on the back, or maybe just a red mark. If writing, what does it state?

Either way it’s a cool photo and if it wasn’t used for the card/s it be neat to find out what it was used for.

Dewey 02-10-2018 09:48 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark70Z (Post 1746769)

Like I mentioned the back of the photo looks just like a match print photo that I have from Topps. Looks like there is a stamp or some type of writing on the back, or maybe just a red mark. If writing, what does it state?

I'll try the back upload one more time. Surprised it was so small last time. It is red print. "Bob Feller - pitcher". Mark can I see your image back to compare? Great eye on that left foot!

The majority outline and red print on the back had me wondering if it was used by Topps. I think Darren and Mark S. have a point about the bottom foot lack of outlining. But, truth be told, I don't know the Topps process from photo to artist rendition for the card, so I can't say either way. It has been a fun image to look into...and that's what makes the hobby tick for me. :D Thanks everyone for your comments.

Mark70Z 02-10-2018 11:43 AM

Topps

1 Attachment(s)
I have a better example, but can’t locate currently, but hopefully this one is at least an example.

prewarsports 02-10-2018 12:10 PM

What you have is a team issue, the red identification was larger with "Cleveland Baseball Club" that was trimmed off. These were sent to newspapers, magazines and to other ball clubs for reference. Doubtful it was used to make the card. Nice photo!

Dewey 02-10-2018 01:41 PM

Thank you, Rhys. Very helpful.

prewarsports 02-10-2018 03:07 PM

Lots of team issued photos were made, but since they were sent to newspapers and magazines, most were thrown away, lost, or are tucked in archives. Very few of these ever see the light of day or exist anymore and I do not remember seeing this one ever sell publicly for what its worth.

laughlinfan 02-10-2018 03:37 PM

Very nice image, regardless! I remember actually seeing the Topps artwork for the Feller Scoops card on eBay about 10 years ago. (Still kicking myself for not stepping up to buy it!) I do recall it was stunning, but I don't quite remember if it was a painting or a if it was a colorized picture through the flexichrome process. I guess in either case, the photo shown probably wouldn't have been used by Topps in the process for that card, although there are no doubts that it was created from a different version of the same (very cool!) photo.

Dewey 02-11-2018 10:53 AM

I wasn't familiar with the flexichrome process. Found this 12 year old net54 thread for anyone else like me. Thanks Marty.
http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=84088

Quote:

Originally Posted by laughlinfan (Post 1746877)
Very nice image, regardless! I remember actually seeing the Topps artwork for the Feller Scoops card on eBay about 10 years ago. (Still kicking myself for not stepping up to buy it!) I do recall it was stunning, but I don't quite remember if it was a painting or a if it was a colorized picture through the flexichrome process. I guess in either case, the photo shown probably wouldn't have been used by Topps in the process for that card, although there are no doubts that it was created from a different version of the same (very cool!) photo.