Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   1869 Reds Uniforms going up for auction? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=88201)

Archive 12-28-2007 06:33 PM

1869 Reds Uniforms going up for auction?

Posted By: <b>GaryM</b><p>Saw this on mearsonline.com - sounds incredible - does anyone have story on this? Surprised this has not been mentioned. If this was April 1 I would not bother but there must be something to this. Anyone know anything?<br /><br /> <a href="http://tinyurl.com/3dac4j" target="_new" rel="nofollow">http://tinyurl.com/3dac4j</a><br />

Archive 12-28-2007 07:17 PM

Posted By: <b>Doug</b><p>I'm in Cincinnati and I haven't heard anything about it. Usually something like this would pop up in the sports section of the Enquirer.

Archive 12-28-2007 07:37 PM

Posted By: <b>Fred C</b><p>I'd like to find out the provenance on this uni... that should be interesting.

Archive 12-28-2007 08:26 PM

Posted By: <b>ramram</b><p>I probably wouldn't believe it in the first place but you add the fact that it mentions "uniforms" and "caps" in the plural form and I really have to laugh.<br /><br />Rob M.

Archive 12-29-2007 04:43 AM

Posted By: <b>barrysloate</b><p>I will take this one with a large grain of salt.

Archive 12-29-2007 05:03 PM

Posted By: <b>Rhys</b><p>Wasn't there a publicized auction in about 1880-1890 where they sold off relics from the 1869 Red Stockings (trophy balls/uniforms/bats etc) and then they all got bought up by one prominant guy and his house burned down with everything in it? I could be wrong, but I remember that story from somehwere. If so, maybe they are selling urns with ashes in it from the fire.<br /><br />Rhys

Archive 12-29-2007 05:10 PM

Posted By: <b>barrysloate</b><p>Several years ago Mastro had a trophy case of Reds balls, but it was determined during the auction that the wooden case wasn't period. It put a cloud over the whole sale. But I never heard anything about a fire.<br /><br />Rhys- I read your post as 1990; you said 1890. Yes, somebody dug up a newspaper article about an auction of Reds relics; I seem to recall it was in the early part of the 20th century, maybe 1913 or so. The stuff belonged to Harry Wright.

Archive 12-29-2007 06:23 PM

Posted By: <b>Dan Bretta</b><p>I don't know what I did with that article...it's packed away in a box somewhere and I'm not even sure I could find the scan on my computer now...but I sent a copy to Barry and one to Bruce Dorskin if they have it handy it might be worth looking at again.

Archive 12-29-2007 09:38 PM

Posted By: <b>ramram</b><p>See below.<br />Rob M.<br /><br />"Cricket" Ball & Red Stockings 1872 Auction<br />August 28 2003 at 11:26 AM <br />Jimmy Leiderman (Login JLeiderman) <br /><br /><br />Response to Re: Rich...... <br /><br />--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<br /> <br /><br /><br />According to early newspaper accounts the (Keystone - June 22nd, 45-30) match was played with a "ROSS" type ball.<br /><br />I don't know if the "Ross" ball was indeed a Cricket ball.<br /><br />About the 1872 Red Stockings fund raiser auction:<br /><br />Here are two accounts from the Cincinnati Enquirer.<br /><br />(4-13-1872 Enquirer) "PERSONAL PROPERTY OF THE CBBC AT AUCTION - At 3:30 at <br />the Union Grounds...Flags, banners, uniforms, bats, score-books, silverware, <br />medals and all trophies and balls won by said club. Also, one lawn mower, <br />lamps, tables, chairs, six stoves and pipe, 33 pairs of skates, picks, brooms, <br />shovels, scythes, 70 large steamboat reflecting lanterns, and all other<br />personal <br />property belonging to the Union Grounds.<br /><br />(4-14-72 Enquirer) "DEPARTED GLORY - Sale of the Red Stocking Traps and <br />Trophies - In the glorious April sunlight of yesterday afternoon a little knot<br />of men gathered at the old Union Grounds to witness the disposal at auction of the 'traps and trophies' of the Cincinnati Base Ball Club, whose sobriquet 'Red Stocking'--the synonym of victory--was once on every tongue. A red flag fluttered drearily from 'The Grand Duchess,' where the never-lowered streamer 'Cincinnati' was wont to proudly flaunt the breeze, and the words at the entrance gate, 'Members must show their tickets,' had grown meaningless. Of all the ten thousand fair women and stalwart men who would have gathered around that 'diamond field,' the handsomest ball grounds in the country, one year ago, had so fair an afternoon favored the playing of 'the first great match-game of the season,' only a few representative spirits were present. Champion and Joyce ..were of course on the ground. Jack, always mercurial, let the blues overcome him, and soon retired. Mr. Champion bravely assisted the auctioneer through his dreary work of knocking down the 'traps' of the Club, mostly for a song. <br />The lumber had previously been disposed of, and it was only when the sale of the trophies came that the auction assumed any interest. The following is the <br />melancholy record of the latter, Mr. T.G. Smith, Al Corre, John Sullivan and other being among the purchasers:<br />Pitcher and goblets won in Tournament of 1867, $40<br />Gold Medal, Tournament of 1866, $30<br />Mutual, 2-4 ball, of 1869, $10<br />Athletic, 25-27 ball, of 1870, $5<br />Mutual, 12-15 ball, of 1870, $4<br />Haymaker, 32-38 [sic] ball, of 1869, $3.50<br />Eckford, 5-26 ball, of 1869, $3<br />Athletic, 18-27 ball, of 1869, $3<br />Buckeye, 10-28 ball, of 1868, $2<br />Forest City of Rockford, 14-15, 1869, $2<br />Other balls of Harvard, Stars, Marylands, National, Olympics, Forest City of <br />Cleveland, and other prominent Clubs, from $1 to $3.<br />Streamer of 1869, $7.<br />Streamer of 1870, $5.<br />It was nearly dusk before the sale was concluded, and when the sun went down behind the hills it left, in the half-dismantled 'Union Grounds,' as fitting <br />an illustration of 'departed glory' as pen could wish, were space at command wherein to draw the contrast between the field days of the first nine and the <br />last scene to be viewed in the twilight from 'The Grand Duchess.'"<br /><br />from Lee Allen, "Baseball's Immortal Red Stockings": "The last chapter of <br />the story of the Red Stockings took place at Cincinnati on October 25, 1916. <br />when the tokens and relics of the historic team were sold at public auction. <br />Included were a group picture of the team, a faded uniform, three of the <br />original baseballs used in 1869, the cap of Asa Brainard, and a rubber<br />mouthpiece <br />used by Allison, the catcher.<br />At the Stacey auction rooms on Gilbert Avenue, these sentimental relics <br />were sold by the estate of Harry Ellard, who had guarded them until his dying <br />day. There were two principal bidders: Garry Herrmann, who wanted the<br />mementos <br />for the office of the Reds; and William C. Kennett, Jr., son of a man who <br />served the Reds as president in 1880. Such sentiment as Herrmann felt could<br />not <br />compete with the bidding of Kennett, who purchased the souvenirs. They were <br />later destroyed in a fire at his home. <br />But one reminder of the glorious story escaped. The old clock that ticked <br />away the hours in the office of the club is now [at Cooperstown; note from DB: <br />Tom Shieber corroborates this--they have it]. It was kept by the family of <br />Aaron B. Champion and donated...in 1960 by Robert Champion Rowe. <br />In a letter [to Allen] Aaron Burt Champion Rowe, a descendant of the <br />president of the RS, recently wrote:<br />'In October of 1919 as my grandmother (Mrs. A.B. Champion) lay dying, she <br />in some of her lucid moments hoped to hear of the Cin Reds winning a World's <br />Series. She died just before the final game and she never knew of the scandal <br />that followed. But downstairs in the kitchen of that house the old clock was <br />ticking out those fateful moments. When we moved in 1924, the clock was taken <br />down.'"<br /><br />*The newspaper accounts were copied from Darryl Brock's messages on the SABR 19c Baseball eGroup forum.* <br />

Archive 12-30-2007 04:07 AM

Posted By: <b>barrysloate</b><p>Dan- of course it was you who sent me the article. Sorry for the memory lapse.