Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   CardBuff.com (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=251048)

jfkheat 02-08-2018 11:16 AM

CardBuff.com

Does anyone here know anything about cardbuff.com? It seems that they decided to add my email address to their spam newsletter list. I have never heard of this company and would like to know how they got my email address. They may have got it from one of the card forums I am a member of. I will post this message on all of them. I hate spam email.
James

ullmandds 02-08-2018 11:22 AM

do they clean cards?

jfkheat 02-08-2018 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ullmandds (Post 1746229)
do they clean cards?

Email them and ask.

BruceinGa 02-08-2018 11:32 AM

I received what I think is the same email. I deleted it without reading.:o

Republicaninmass 02-08-2018 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BruceinGa (Post 1746235)
I received what I think is the same email. I deleted it without reading.:o

Ditto, winder who sold them the list

jfkheat 02-08-2018 11:54 AM

Here is the response I got from them a few minutes ago. "I am Buff. I got your email from a list of card buyers."
James

Fred 02-08-2018 01:22 PM

I received the same email. Note that the following is part of the subject line:

Card Buff features the best cards on eBay for February 08, 2018

Kind of makes you wonder if ebay sold the email list of those that bid on sports cards....

Republicaninmass 02-08-2018 01:30 PM

I received it on both of my eBay ID emails

Possible!

RedsFan1941 02-08-2018 01:50 PM

the fact the email purposely doesn't name the person or persons who sent it tells me all i need to know. and then when whoever sent it answers by specifically by not identifying himself, reinforces my thought that it's someone i don't want to do business with.

ergoism 02-08-2018 02:41 PM

I am Buff

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedsFan1941 (Post 1746266)
the fact the email purposely doesn't name the person or persons who sent it tells me all i need to know. and then when whoever sent it answers by specifically by not identifying himself, reinforces my thought that it's someone i don't want to do business with.

I am the man behind the curtain. I bought over 100,000 email contacts of known sports collectors/buyers from a variety of different services. I actually bought three of my own email addresses while doing this. I don't know who is selling them the data although based on the email addresses of mine that were included, it very well could be auction houses or auction house software companies.
My goal with CardBuff.com is to provide a resource for collectors and the best way I knew how to jump start it was to fill it with cool cards and blast it away. I love getting emails from PWCC, Probstein, and Greg Morris and seeing the best of what they have to offer so the idea was sparked by my thought of, "Someone should be doing this for every card seller on eBay."

If anyone was annoyed by the email(s), my apologies for intruding your inbox. The unsubscribe button works and if you never open the email you will go from receiving the daily email to receiving one a week to receiving 0. I hand pick the items for the email and site every single day so I would love some feedback on what's in there for anyone that likes the idea of the site. Displaying cards on eBay was the easiest way I knew to get started. I hope to expand the site to include a lot of other resources for the hobby as well.

If anyone wants to beat me up for spamming them, I'll be at the National in Cleveland. If anyone has any thoughts or suggestions on what would be fun or beneficial for my site, I'd love to hear them.

Evan

jfkheat 02-08-2018 02:56 PM

The problem I have with, it besides the fact that I hate spam email, is that I have specific cards and sets that I look for. If it is on eBay I have seen it. I don't need a newsletter to show me a bunch of cards that I have no interest in. I do appreciate your responses to my emails.
James

Sean1125 02-08-2018 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ergoism (Post 1746276)
I am the man behind the curtain. I bought over 100,000 email contacts of known sports collectors/buyers from a variety of different services. I actually bought three of my own email addresses while doing this. I don't know who is selling them the data although based on the email addresses of mine that were included, it very well could be auction houses or auction house software companies.
My goal with CardBuff.com is to provide a resource for collectors and the best way I knew how to jump start it was to fill it with cool cards and blast it away. I love getting emails from PWCC, Probstein, and Greg Morris and seeing the best of what they have to offer so the idea was sparked by my thought of, "Someone should be doing this for every card seller on eBay."

If anyone was annoyed by the email(s), my apologies for intruding your inbox. The unsubscribe button works and if you never open the email you will go from receiving the daily email to receiving one a week to receiving 0. I hand pick the items for the email and site every single day so I would love some feedback on what's in there for anyone that likes the idea of the site. Displaying cards on eBay was the easiest way I knew to get started. I hope to expand the site to include a lot of other resources for the hobby as well.

If anyone wants to beat me up for spamming them, I'll be at the National in Cleveland. If anyone has any thoughts or suggestions on what would be fun or beneficial for my site, I'd love to hear them.

Evan

Hi Evan,

I was one of the lucky recipients of this chain of emails. I really like the cards that have been featured so far and think you are doing a great job. I've been opening Greg's emails for a while and yours were a welcome mix of new, old, and interesting.

Piggybacking on James' earlier comment of "I have specific cards and sets that I look for." perhaps you could add a saved or special search function? EBay's search and saved search functions are relatively primitive and I think you might be able to do it better. I for one would use a special search feature if it had the ability to save and potentially be more robust than eBay's current feature.

All in all I think the emails look great and wish you the best of luck in your endeavor!

Warmest Regards,

Sean

ergoism 02-08-2018 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfkheat (Post 1746277)
The problem I have with, it besides the fact that I hate spam email, is that I have specific cards and sets that I look for. If it is on eBay I have seen it. I don't need a newsletter to show me a bunch of cards that I have no interest in. I do appreciate your responses to my emails.
James

James and Sean, thanks for the feedback. You make some great points. The specialized search is something I have been thinking about adding to the site in the future. Feel free to unsubscribe until I get CardBuff to the point where it can be beneficial to you.

bbcard1 02-08-2018 03:10 PM

I hate injustice and poverty. I can handle spam emails (there's this thing called a delete button) and would argue that this isn't spam as it is at least something that's relevant to my interests.

mrvster 02-08-2018 04:03 PM

Me too!!!

i get at least 1 email or 2 a day!!WTF

ergoism 02-08-2018 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrvster (Post 1746299)
i get at least 1 email or 2 a day!!WTF

You’d like more emails per day. Noted

:D

mintacular 02-08-2018 04:27 PM

I

I didn't get this email, I guess I am a cardboard NOBODY :(

savedfrommyspokes 02-08-2018 06:16 PM

Ebay offers a paid referral program called the "ebay partner network"... if anyone buys/wins a card through a link on this site, the owner of the site is paid by ebay for the "referral".

https://partnernetwork.ebay.com/

ergoism 02-08-2018 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mintacular (Post 1746305)

I couldn't afford your e-mail address.

JollyElm 02-08-2018 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mintacular (Post 1746305)

Bravo, Pat, bravo. :D

MattyC 02-09-2018 01:22 PM

The gall and presumptuousness of someone who is into cards, and has obtained the knowledge that I am into cards, sending me an e-mail about cards. I for one am livid.

The-Cardfather 02-09-2018 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MattyC (Post 1746563)
The gall and presumptuousness of someone who is into cards, and has obtained the knowledge that I am into cards, sending me an e-mail about cards. I for one am livid.

With all the injustices happening in today's world, this is what makes you "livid"?
Take my advice Matty and don't sweat the small stuff. Life's too short.
It only takes about 30 seconds to "unsubscribe" from a spam e-mail.

Aquarian Sports Cards 02-09-2018 04:39 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Cardfather (Post 1746618)
With all the injustices happening in today's world, this is what makes you "livid"?
Take my advice Matty and don't sweat the small stuff. Life's too short.
It only takes about 30 seconds to "unsubscribe" from a spam e-mail.

Methinks someone's sarcasm detector is on the fritz...

Aquarian Sports Cards 02-09-2018 04:40 PM

LOL actually what I am wondering is if the OP is actually helping to market cardbuff.com. If so, well-played.

The-Cardfather 02-09-2018 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards (Post 1746625)
Methinks someone's sarcasm detector is on the fritz...

Perhaps you're right, Scott. If so, then the joke's on me. I thought he was being serious.

MattyC 02-09-2018 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Cardfather (Post 1746632)
Perhaps you're right, Scott. If so, then the joke's on me. I thought he was being serious.

I was entirely joking. When it comes to my card hobby/addiction, it is strictly fun and joy. If it's ever anything else, something's wrong at my end and it's time for me to look inward, lol.

jfkheat 02-09-2018 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards (Post 1746628)
LOL actually what I am wondering is if the OP is actually helping to market cardbuff.com. If so, well-played.

I assure you that I am not. When I first posted this I had no idea who owned the site.

James

RedsFan1941 02-09-2018 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfkheat (Post 1746671)
I assure you that I am not. When I first posted this I had no idea who owned the site.

James

and now we know it’s evan m.

pokerplyr80 02-09-2018 06:57 PM

Quote:

I know, right? Don't these spammers know how difficult and time consuming it is to delete an email? As if I don't have enough to do in a day.