Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Wonder what else there is... (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=247488)

lug-nut 11-12-2017 10:13 PM

Wonder what else there is...

4 Attachment(s)
I've put a small group of these cards in my collection and wondering if there are any others similar to them (in size) that I can add. i've seen several pre 1900s but are of the larger style. any leads or scans would be great

Leon 11-13-2017 06:24 AM

Here are a few that are sort of similar and used to be in my collection...

http://luckeycards.com/pfunc1936caallensbaseballx2.jpg

HasselhoffsCheeseburger 11-13-2017 08:13 AM

A lot. You're talking about British/UK sets from 80-100+ years ago. You cannot fathom the amount of material there is. Collecting back then was an adult activity and they kept their cards in extremely good condition. Go to the UK eBay and create a few searches, you'll be amazed.

Just remember, most of the issues are not difficult to find even in high grade. Don't hop on the first example you see. Take the time to feel out these cards and see how low they can be had for. Then grab the ones you like at a reasonable cost.

lug-nut 11-13-2017 11:02 AM

nice, thanks i will check out the uk. i have seen a boatload of samples of fruits, flags, generals, etc. i am looking for baseball specifically but i'll see if i can find any available. thanks for the lead

buymycards 11-13-2017 11:20 AM

Here is one

2 Attachment(s)
1934 Speaker

steve B 11-13-2017 11:28 AM

There are a lot of British card dealers, and many also carry stuff from the former British empire as well, like issues for South Africa.

Outside of the more difficult sets, a lot of the sets are collected as sets, and only in what we'd think of as really nice condition.

I bought a lot of mixed non-sports, maybe a couple thousand of them in rough shape for under $100. It came in a big flat rate box, and the packing material was a binder of I think 1991 Score that may have been a complete set, and a couple thousand of the same score set loose surrounding the stacks of the British cards. Sold the binder and the rest of the packing for about half of what I'd paid for the whole thing.

Yoda 11-13-2017 02:13 PM

I am a collector of pre-war UK golf cards, eg. Harry Vardon, Bobby Jones, Tom Morris etc. and British dealers have by far the best inventories. Check out rare cigarettes.com. They have a great selection of not only golf but tennis, boxing, and if you care cricket. Never seen any baseball but keep hoping for a T215 Pirate. So far, no luck.

lug-nut 11-15-2017 05:01 PM

can you verify that site, my browser doesnt seem to like it

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yoda (Post 1719686)
I am a collector of pre-war UK golf cards, eg. Harry Vardon, Bobby Jones, Tom Morris etc. and British dealers have by far the best inventories. Check out rare cigarettes.com. They have a great selection of not only golf but tennis, boxing, and if you care cricket. Never seen any baseball but keep hoping for a T215 Pirate. So far, no luck.

KMayUSA6060 11-15-2017 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 1719513)
Here are a few that are sort of similar and used to be in my collection...

http://luckeycards.com/pfunc1936caallensbaseballx2.jpg

Leon, you know me. I NEED ONE OF THESE. What is it, and how much do they normally run?

Cozumeleno 11-16-2017 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KMayUSA6060 (Post 1720508)
Leon, you know me. I NEED ONE OF THESE. What is it, and how much do they normally run?

I don't want to speak for Leon but I found one a few months ago. They are not that easy to find in my experience, although I hadn't been actively checking traditional auction houses (got mine on eBay). They aren't super expensive - I paid about $25 IIRC. But I can see asking prices being higher. They aren't readily available.

Leon 11-16-2017 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cozumeleno (Post 1720645)
I don't want to speak for Leon but I found one a few months ago. They are not that easy to find in my experience, although I hadn't been actively checking traditional auction houses (got mine on eBay). They aren't super expensive - I paid about $25 IIRC. But I can see asking prices being higher. They aren't readily available.

No worries, I told him in a PM that they are about 15-75 dollars depending on who is bidding.

Cozumeleno 11-16-2017 08:28 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by lug-nut (Post 1719477)
I've put a small group of these cards in my collection and wondering if there are any others similar to them (in size) that I can add. i've seen several pre 1900s but are of the larger style. any leads or scans would be great

I also have those and love the numerous multi-sport international issues. Here are a few others of mine.

The sepia colored baseball card is from the MacRobertson set, which included the same cards from the BAT set from which you have the baseball card (different card numbers). That set was also printed for Wills and Village Maid. Those are the same but with different backs. I can scan mine later if you want to see them but the image on the front is the same. There's supposed to be a sepia BAT card but I've never seen it. The Wills one just has the Wills name printed on the front as well.

Cards here are:

- 1930s Allen's Fruit Drops
- 1932 Bulgaria Sport w/Babe Ruth and Max Schmeling
- Two of the Four Major Drapkin baseball cards (40 in the set with ten sports/four cards in each sport)
- c1916 MacRobertson's Baseball

lug-nut 11-21-2017 10:54 AM

those drapkins...

are different, i like them. when you get a chance can you post a pic of the backs?

Cozumeleno 11-21-2017 11:22 AM

1 Attachment(s)
No problem - the backs are one of the things I love about them. I don't have a scan of mine but here's one from eBay. They're the same on every card.

Not sure if you collect other sports but they're actually part of a set of 40. There are ten sports in the set with four from each. I have three of the four baseball cards and am missing only the catcher.

T205 GB 11-21-2017 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cozumeleno (Post 1720653)
I also have those and love the numerous multi-sport international issues. Here are a few others of mine.

The sepia colored baseball card is from the MacRobertson set, which included the same cards from the BAT set from which you have the baseball card (different card numbers). That set was also printed for Wills and Village Maid. Those are the same but with different backs. I can scan mine later if you want to see them but the image on the front is the same. There's supposed to be a sepia BAT card but I've never seen it. The Wills one just has the Wills name printed on the front as well.

Cards here are:

- 1930s Allen's Fruit Drops
- 1932 Bulgaria Sport w/Babe Ruth and Max Schmeling
- Two of the Four Major Drapkin baseball cards (40 in the set with ten sports/four cards in each sport)
- c1916 MacRobertson's Baseball

Is it me or does that guy with Ruth look kinda like De La Hoya?

Cozumeleno 11-21-2017 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T205 GB (Post 1722546)
Is it me or does that guy with Ruth look kinda like De La Hoya?

Ha, well maybe a little from that angle. It's actually former champion Max Schmeling.

Michael B 11-21-2017 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lug-nut (Post 1720478)

the url is ebay.co.uk. You can also go to the ebay home page. Down at the bottom right it says 'eBay sites'. You can use the drop down to see all of the countries that have their own sites. You may also wish to check the Australian site - ebay.co.au. The tobacco/sports cards are under collectibles. You can also find listings under sporting goods in the sub-category 'sports stickers, sets and albums'.

I find some nice items on ebay Australia. The postage is what makes it difficult buying from there. Even with the current exchange rate AU$1.00 = US76¢ it can add up.

Yoda 11-21-2017 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lug-nut (Post 1720478)

Sorry for the belated response, but 'rare cigarettes' is their Ebay user name not a web site id. Sorry. Great selection of old golf cards!

rjackson44 11-21-2017 07:19 PM

Great thread I have a lot of these. Look for them in bst auctions next couple of weeks, the art work is neat