Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   T213-2 McGraw question (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=260061)

buymycards 09-17-2018 01:32 PM

T213-2 McGraw question

3 Attachment(s)
Hi, I purchased a T213-2 McGraw that has a yellow background, rather than the normal red background. My questions are:

1. Could this be caused by a missing color pass during the printing process?

2. Would this be water damage, either from the Louisiana climate or maybe from someone trying to soak the scrapbook paper from the back?

3. Could the adhesive that was used to adhere the card to a scrapbook have leached the red color from the front?

4. Could the sun or UV rays have caused this to turn yellow?

5. Is anyone aware of other color variations in the T213-2 set?

I included a picture of the normal red background card for comparison. It will be interesting to hear other collector's thoughts.

Thank you, Rick

gabrinus 09-17-2018 01:46 PM

McGraw

Rick that is interesting...I would have to think that is caused by something other than the printing but I don't know for sure...Tbob has had a few T213s over the years so he may know if there were background color variations or not.....Jerry

RCMcKenzie 09-17-2018 10:50 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Here's my McGraw port... That is a neat card, Rick, but I am not counting it as a variation that I need. I believe it is from normal wear, water damage, sun damage etc. Good luck on the set. I'm at 134/185. Here's a 1914 Elberfeld/Hobby I picked up on eBay the other day...I know some red backgrounds are orange like this t206 chance(not mine) but have not seen a yellow from red background

Throttlesteer 09-17-2018 10:54 PM

It seems to affect the whole card and not just the background. Probably sun and/or water exposure.

Sean 09-17-2018 11:30 PM

Or some kind of chemical damage.

obcmac 09-18-2018 06:54 AM

I think it's pretty well established that adhesives reacted with certain pigments more than others, so my money is on #3. Endless examples of t206s with glue on the back impacting the red color specifically. This card might have other things going on as well. Still cool.

buymycards 09-18-2018 08:16 AM

Thanks

Thank you everyone for your input. I agree that this is not a color variation and I would put my money on chemical damage from the glue.

I thought it was interesting and the price was right, plus, I wanted to look at it up close, so I went ahead and purchased it. (I bought it from ToppsAholic on eBay, who accepted my offer.)

I also watched the Elberfield two name card which is pretty cool. I'm glad you got it. (When I go to shows I am always looking for the Rhoades Type 1 for your collection, but it is tough to find)

Thanks, Rick

Leon 09-19-2018 09:26 AM

+1 ...or at least some kind of solvent damage.

Quote:

Originally Posted by buymycards (Post 1813666)
Thank you everyone for your input. I agree that this is not a color variation and I would put my money on chemical damage from the glue.

I thought it was interesting and the price was right, plus, I wanted to look at it up close, so I went ahead and purchased it. (I bought it from ToppsAholic on eBay, who accepted my offer.)

I also watched the Elberfield two name card which is pretty cool. I'm glad you got it. (When I go to shows I am always looking for the Rhoades Type 1 for your collection, but it is tough to find)

Thanks, Rick