Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   What is the most rare vintage baseball autograph? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=246687)

rats60 10-26-2017 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mybuddyinc (Post 1714103)
............... darn :( ......... you beat me. I was going to ask if Button Gwinnett ever played baseball.

He was shot dead in duel on May 16, 1777 (thus only living well less than a year after signing Declaration of Independence). His adversary was Lachlan McIntosh. You can look up more if interested, but basically, they were long time military and political foes that didn't like each other to much.

Both have streets named after them in Savannah .

.............. carry on :rolleyes:

His supply wouldn't even land him in the top 10 of Baseball Hofers. At least he will never be forgotten due to one of the most populous counties in Georgia being named for him.

Not counting those with no known signatures, thus being impossible, it would have to be Buck Ewing. The only known signature is on his will.

Yoda 10-26-2017 02:16 PM

Are there any true specimens of Moses "Fleetwood" Walker known? If so, they must be few and far between.

Buckeyebo 07-05-2018 09:46 AM

Who is the toughest

Wow so many! I am an HOF autograph guy. Pardon the spelling errors but here you go....19th century and Negro league with a few exceptions will be where the buck stops. Delahanty, Cummings, Hulbert, Ewing, Kelly(King not George), Radbourne, and others Selee, McGinnity. Really any 19th century autograph has my utmost respect. Negro league Josh Gibson, and Rube Foster ....yet they are common compared to some near impossible signs.! Ross Youngs is rare yet he is common compared to Addie Joss! I have had all but 2 I just listed currently own 4 listed. Not fond of cuts but letters documents are great. Bottom line is they do not come around often maybe 1 or 2 Real a decade.....or less! If you are serious about collecting buckle up it can get very expensive! Fortunately I am at the point where I don’t see something I need ortruly desire often, so when I do I am well rested, and ready to play :)! Good Luck i5 is a fun and Great hobby!

Lordstan 07-05-2018 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mybuddyinc (Post 1714103)
............... darn :( ......... you beat me. I was going to ask if Button Gwinnett ever played baseball.

He was shot dead in duel on May 16, 1777 (thus only living well less than a year after signing Declaration of Independence). His adversary was Lachlan McIntosh. You can look up more if interested, but basically, they were long time military and political foes that didn't like each other to much.

Both have streets named after them in Savannah .

.............. carry on :rolleyes:

I have read that Thomas Lynch Jr is the rarest of the DOI signers. Apparently there are less than 14 copies of his sig known, whereas there are 47 of Gwinnett.

But some of the rarest Baseball include Joss and Jose Mendez. Somewhere in Net54 is a Jim Stinson post about how he went to cuba to find a Mendez and apparently no one knows of one or something like that. I am sure there are others where no know example exists. Anyone ever heard of a Jim Creighton autograph?

tazdmb 07-05-2018 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buckeyebo (Post 1792338)
I have had all but 2 I just listed currently own 4 listed.

First, welcome to the boards! We have a few collectors here-myself included-that are going for them all with BB Hofers. The toughest I own are probably Thompson and Wilkinson. PS-we love pictures and hope you will share. The owner of the only verified Joss is on here and will post from time to time.

Duluth Eskimo 07-05-2018 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tazdmb (Post 1792355)
First, welcome to the boards! We have a few collectors here-myself included-that are going for them all with BB Hofers. The toughest I own are probably Thompson and Wilkinson. PS-we love pictures and hope you will share. The owner of the only verified Joss is on here and will post from time to time.

You are very polite.

packs 07-05-2018 12:15 PM

Good luck finding a Steve Dalkowski signed rookie. They exist of course but it took me FOREVER to track one down.

chalupacollects 07-05-2018 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bored5000 (Post 1714006)
Nope. They all signed for Coach's Corner. ;)

Some just this week!

theshleps 07-05-2018 05:14 PM

would love to see Lipman Pike first Jewish player

RichardSimon 07-06-2018 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theshleps (Post 1792446)
would love to see Lipman Pike first Jewish player

Is he the guy with the "autograph sale" that took place for big money and then the sale fell apart for a reason I do not remember?