Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Seeking T206 submission advice (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=232449)

Sean 12-14-2016 12:31 PM

Seeking T206 submission advice

2 Attachment(s)
A recent BST exchange between Kevin M. and Phillip A. caused me to dig out this old T206 Hal Chase pink card. I've owned it since 2005, but I barely remembered it. It's graded PSA 6 (OC).

Looking at it closely, it barely seems off-center, though it does have a diamond cut. My question is: do you think that it's worth re-submitting it to PSA? Or maybe SGC? Any advice is welcome. Thanks. :)

Attachment 254107 Attachment 254108

Aquarian Sports Cards 12-14-2016 01:41 PM

that clearly falls within their own definition of a 7 for centering, maybe even an 8, I would definitely resubmit and be pissed I had to pay twice to get the grade it should have gotten the first time. I mean centering is probably the least subjective part of the grade according to PSA's guidelines. The back is worse, but their standards are even more lax for the reverse of the card.

CMIZ5290 12-14-2016 02:02 PM

No way the card gets a straight 7 IMO, but may possibly get a straight 6 if the corners are as strong as they appear on the scan....Having said that, if the corners were extremely sharp, the card would have probably graded 7OC or 8OC..

Gradedcardman 12-14-2016 02:10 PM

agree

I have to agree with Kevin. Straight grade go to SGC. The diamond cuts I have submitted regardless of set have all been harshly graded. If you are hoping to sell then try one shot at PSA and move on.

iwantitiwinit 12-14-2016 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gradedcardman (Post 1610494)
I have to agree with Kevin. Straight grade go to SGC. The diamond cuts I have submitted regardless of set have all been harshly graded. If you are hoping to sell then try one shot at PSA and move on.

Agree 100%

Aquarian Sports Cards 12-14-2016 03:00 PM

I agree with the posts that followed mine. My point was it should certainly be a straight 6 since it's centering meets the guidelines for a higher grade and obviously since it received the 6 it must meet the other standards for that grade.

jbsports33 12-14-2016 05:54 PM

Send it back in! Great looking front

glynparson 12-14-2016 06:19 PM

I say no

Sorry but I disagree that it meets the centering standards. They go by whatever the centering is at the worst possible spot and that appears to be almost miscut top to bottom at one point. I feel it is probably as good as it should be. Maybe you get lucky on a resubmit and get a straight grade but I don't think it deserves one. The comma looks to be touching or almost touching the bottom border. Not to mention the period. I just think the whole name section is to close to the bottom of the card. Odd cut did not leave much room.

CMIZ5290 12-14-2016 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glynparson (Post 1610569)
Sorry but I disagree that it meets the centering standards. They go by whatever the centering is at the worst possible spot and that appears to be almost miscut top to bottom at one point. I feel it is probably as good as it should be. Maybe you get lucky on a resubmit and get a straight grade but I don't think it deserves one.

+1, this exactly right....

glynparson 12-14-2016 06:27 PM

Just to be clear

I think the card is a beautiful copy just talking in technical grading aspects.

BruceinGa 12-14-2016 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glynparson (Post 1610569)
Sorry but I disagree that it meets the centering standards. They go by whatever the centering is at the worst possible spot and that appears to be almost miscut top to bottom at one point. I feel it is probably as good as it should be. Maybe you get lucky on a resubmit and get a straight grade but I don't think it deserves one. The comma looks to be touching or almost touching the bottom border. Not to mention the period. I just think the whole name section is to close to the bottom of the card. Odd cut did not leave much room.

+2
Although I have seen much worse, :eek:

Sean 12-15-2016 05:50 AM

It appears that the majority think that the card was graded correctly, and that the (OC) designation came from the diamond cut. Since I'm not planning on selling any time soon, I think I'll just keep it in it's current holder.

I appreciate everyone who took the time to share their thoughts with me. -Sean :)

BruceinGa 12-15-2016 06:44 AM

This thread makes me wonder, does SGC, PSA and other TPG grade early cards the same as, say, 1961 Topps? In my limited time enjoying t205's and t206's it appears to me they are graded totally differently, early cards more leniently.
Any thoughts?