Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Building a T205 set? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=230278)

jasonc 10-23-2016 08:20 AM

Building a T205 set?

Lots of discussions regarding approaching/building and strategies involving putting together a complete T206 set. I would like to hear more about the T205 set.
I've went through some T206 vs T205 threads, but it seems like it's more regarding what is the better "looking" set.

It appears that at 208 cards, it seems like it would be easier and more affordable no?

Also, is it me, or finding the individual cards for T205 seem more difficult? I assume if you were to stick with the numbered checklist 1-208 (ignoring the varations) it is not too bad? Mind you, this would be if one is pursuing a "low" grade set?

How tough is it finding the tough commons vs the tough commons in the T206 set ?

One thing that I've noticed that for "Complete" completion it seems much easier, of course, because of the Big 4 in the T206 set.

I know the T206 also has 4 Cobbs, 3 youngs etc. etc.

EvilKing00 10-23-2016 10:45 AM

As far as how im collecting the t205 set.

Im looking for every front, and vairation, as well as at least 1 of each back

MartyFromCANADA 10-23-2016 10:53 AM

I was thinking of doing a T205 set after finishing my Canadian player collection. But both sets are nice. I think knowing it is practically impossible to finish the T206 set, makes me lean toward the T205.

marcdelpercio 10-23-2016 10:55 AM

I have completed the entire set with all variations and you are right on with your thinking on it. Aside from the near impossible Hoblitzell "no stats" and a few other tough variations (Mathewson "37-1", Wilhelm "suffered", Moran "stray line", Gray "stats on back", Wallace "no cap, 1 line of stats") there are really no terribly difficult or expensive cards. In fact, if you are looking to stick with a presentable lower grade set, the Cobb is probably the only card besides those mentioned above that you would have to spend more than $200-$300 on. There are a few others like Joss, Johnson, Wilhelm "suffe ed" and Young that would be close to that, but the vast majority of commons can be easily found in decent looking lower grade condition for $15-$20 apiece, and even most of the short prints and lower level HOF'ers won't set you back more than around $40-$60 apiece. Even the tougher commons and short prints are all readily available. I think it's a beautiful set, and if you are avoiding the scarce variations, very reasonably able to be completed without breaking the bank.

jasonc 10-23-2016 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marcdelpercio (Post 1596140)
I have completed the entire set with all variations and you are right on with your thinking on it. Aside from the near impossible Hoblitzell "no stats" and a few other tough variations (Mathewson "37-1", Wilhelm "suffered", Moran "stray line", Gray "stats on back", Wallace "no cap, 1 line of stats") there are really no terribly difficult or expensive cards. In fact, if you are looking to stick with a presentable lower grade set, the Cobb is probably the only card besides those mentioned above that you would have to spend more than $200-$300 on. There are a few others like Joss, Johnson, Wilhelm "suffe ed" and Young that would be close to that, but the vast majority of commons can be easily found in decent looking lower grade condition for $15-$20 apiece, and even most of the short prints and lower level HOF'ers won't set you back more than around $40-$60 apiece. Even the tougher commons and short prints are all readily available. I think it's a beautiful set, and if you are avoiding the scarce variations, very reasonably able to be completed without breaking the bank.

Marc, thanks for the information. You have been through it by completing it. I was more concerned how easy it is to find the cards, but it looks like maybe not as easily as T206's, but still pretty easy. But 208 cards vs 520 (if not including the big 4) is certainly a difference as well which makes the T205 "easier" I suppose.

marcdelpercio 10-23-2016 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jasonc (Post 1596147)
I was more concerned how easy it is to find the cards, but it looks like maybe not as easily as T206's, but still pretty easy.

I'd say that there is no noticeable difference if you are talking about all but the scarcest variations in either set. I'd be willing to wager that you could find multiple copies of any card in the set, except for a few of the scarce variations that I mentioned, on eBay and/or the B/S/T on this board right now, and all for pretty reasonable prices. You could probably say the same about the T206s as well. For set completion, obviously the T205s would be a lot easier, just based on the relative size of the sets and the fact that you won't have several multi-hundred or thousand dollar cards to obtain. I'd say that you could probably put together a decent T205 set, minus 4-5 very tough variations, for well under $10k.

kmac32 10-23-2016 12:10 PM

I am working on a T205 Cubs front/ back set and there are defintely some tough variations. Drum, Broadleaf, and Hindu are the toughest and most expensive. While difficult, it is not am impossible task and I have 116 out of 151 possibilities. Of course I like all my cards to match so crossing over psa to SGC adds some expense.

Aquarian Sports Cards 10-23-2016 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marcdelpercio (Post 1596151)
I'd say that there is no noticeable difference if you are talking about all but the scarcest variations in either set. I'd be willing to wager that you could find multiple copies of any card in the set, except for a few of the scarce variations that I mentioned, on eBay and/or the B/S/T on this board right now, and all for pretty reasonable prices. You could probably say the same about the T206s as well. For set completion, obviously the T205s would be a lot easier, just based on the relative size of the sets and the fact that you won't have several multi-hundred or thousand dollar cards to obtain. I'd say that you could probably put together a decent T205 set, minus 4-5 very tough variations, for well under $10k.

If you got started with a couple bulk auction buys I would say you cold pull it off even cheaper, but that's a good conservative number. And that's not beaters either.

Steve D 10-23-2016 04:01 PM

I just started working on the T205 set in September 2015. I had picked up all the HOFers in 2003 - 2005, so all I need are the "commons" and tougher variations. Right now, I have 75 different cards; one PSA 1 (Jake Stahl Hindu back), four PSA 2, seven PSA 3, and the rest are all PSA 4/4.5. So far, I've spent just over $10K, with the highest priced card being my PSA 3 Cobb, followed by my PSA 3 Joss, and then PSA 4s of Johnson, Young and Mathewson. Those cards are the only ones that cost over $500 each, but keep in mind, that I got all of them in 2003 and 2004.

I've been able to get most of the commons so far for around $50-$65 each in PSA 4.

I'm also looking for at least one of each back, and have all of them except Drum and the two Broadleafs.

Steve

Cozumeleno 10-23-2016 05:02 PM

I put together both the T205 (208-card set) and T206 (520), and would agree with what Marc said. In summary, the T206 set is more expensive because of the sheer volume and fewer expensive cards in total.

What I'd add is that some of the variations and tougher cards can be difficult to find. I had a tough time with Graham Cubs, which I didn't see on eBay for many months, for example. Wilhelm (even the corrected version) isn't plentiful, either. And some cards, like the Joss, can be extremely hard to find in lower-grade condition - I didn't see one that wasn't outrageous for many months. It's a little different from T206 in that you won't always find the tougher cards on eBay at any given time - let alone in the lower grade that you want.

My advice to you would be to pick up the tougher cards when you can fit them in your budget instead of trying to buy only commons at first. Some of them can be too tough and it may be several months before you find another in that condition. If, for example, you find a low-grade Joss or WaJo, I'd jump on it. Cobbs/Mattys are generally always out there so it's less of a concern.

bbcard1 10-23-2016 06:49 PM

I did a radically terrible set and settled for just the fronts (because a lot of mine didn't have backs). It was fun, not very hard, and not very expensive considering.

I did a little website about the project. I particularly enjoyed using photoshop to do an "update" set.

http://www.bbcard1.com/205/

Yoda 10-24-2016 07:53 AM

Is the T205 Ed Walsh pink background considered a true variation?

Harford20 10-24-2016 10:40 AM

Yoda,
Many collectors DO consider that a true variation.

For my T205 HoF collection, I am now missing only the tougher variations including:
Collins Closed-Mouth Yellow Elephant
Mathewson 37-1
Wallace, no cap-1 line stats
Walsh-Pink background lines

I have also been collecting "back runs" of Brown (missing Leons Drum), Chance (complete) and Mathewson (missing the Cycle 37-1)

In my opinion, the T205 set has incredible character and is tremendous fun to put together.

Dave