Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Question for ticket/stub collectors (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=245380)

icollectDCsports 10-02-2017 08:49 PM

The graphics tend to be pretty cool, they weren't torn even when used, and -- at the very least -- gave the holder the right to get into every regular season game. Definitely not a substitute for a ticket for those who collect them, particularly those looking for for specific games, but very cool in their own right. And more rare. All of this makes them very desirable and, from what I've seen, they can be pretty pricey.

I would like to get more info about how various teams, and perhaps it varied by era as well, handled the game entrance issue -- whether one simply walked in and found a seat or was instead issued a ticket for a seat upon presenting the pass.

mcgwirecom 10-03-2017 07:16 PM

I still contend they are not good for admission, they are good for a ticket. season and lifetime pass holders tend to be VIPs and ex-players. They would not sit a VIP or ex-player in the bleachers. They give them a decent seat. Good seats all have numbers and get accounted for so they have to hand you a ticket for a vacant seat and then let you in. As I mentioned earlier, in the 70's we had a friend with a press pass and the Phillies would give us an unused ticket to go into the park.

Cfern023 02-07-2018 01:50 AM

Sorry to dig this up, but where do you look for tickets?

I’ve been looking for season tickets from May 16, 17, 18 1998 Cardinals vs Marlins and May 20 and 21? 1998 Diamondbacks at Marlins.

I’ve gotten lucky and got the non season ticket versions of the cardinals but the season tickets we’re so nice back then.

Scott Garner 02-07-2018 04:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cfern023 (Post 1745822)
Sorry to dig this up, but where do you look for tickets?

I’ve been looking for season tickets from May 16, 17, 18 1998 Cardinals vs Marlins and May 20 and 21? 1998 Diamondbacks at Marlins.

I’ve gotten lucky and got the non season ticket versions of the cardinals but the season tickets we’re so nice back then.

eBay searches and networking with other baseball ticket collectors would be your best bet. Start here on net54 by posting on the memorabilia BST section letting everyone that reads your post know that you are looking for those dates.

bigfanNY 02-07-2018 07:10 AM

Ticket Firsts

A couple years ago I was blissfully unaware of ticket stubs. Now I always saved my own stubs but did not buy anyone else's . Then I posted a 500 HR autograph collection and a board member suggested that a stub from a HR game would look nice mounted next to the autographed card. And I was introduced to ticket collecting. Now I collect 500 HR related stubs and 3000 hit related stubs. Arod was the first player I was able to find a first hit 3000th hit and last hit stubs for. I recently got them signed and will frame them up shortly.
So my question for this thread is I see many collectors going after first game stubs. Which are nice ..but I tend to prefer first hit stubs which are not always first game. In Arod' s case first hit was second game. Because milestones like 3000 hits start with the first hit 500 HR start with homer number 1 etc. Anyone else collect firsts?

Scott Garner 02-07-2018 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigfanNY (Post 1745862)
A couple years ago I was blissfully unaware of ticket stubs. Now I always saved my own stubs but did not buy anyone else's . Then I posted a 500 HR autograph collection and a board member suggested that a stub from a HR game would look nice mounted next to the autographed card. And I was introduced to ticket collecting. Now I collect 500 HR related stubs and 3000 hit related stubs. Arod was the first player I was able to find a first hit 3000th hit and last hit stubs for. I recently got them signed and will frame them up shortly.
So my question for this thread is I see many collectors going after first game stubs. Which are nice ..but I tend to prefer first hit stubs which are not always first game. In Arod' s case first hit was second game. Because milestones like 3000 hits start with the first hit 500 HR start with homer number 1 etc. Anyone else collect firsts?

Jonathan,
Many collectors do, in fact, collect firsts. This is a very common collecting theme. First hit, first HR, first strikeout, first win, first game at a baseball stadium, etc., etc., etc. The same is true of lasts, IMHO.

That's what's so fun about collecting tickets; there are more than enough themes to chase! ;):D

Exhibitman 02-07-2018 11:31 AM

I know that at Dodgers Stadium there is a separate corporate level where the team has (had? It's been a while) business offices and private stadium seating. I was invited on a charity thing with Don Newcombe one year and that is where we were seated. No ticket, just admission to the area via a pass we wore. Padded seats, too, which was a nice change. Perhaps that's where they stash the pass-holders.

bigfanNY 02-07-2018 05:44 PM

I think the point is that for the most part a pass to either a major leauge park or parks. Required the pass holder to go to some form of ticket window. (Will call press gate etc.) And there he would receive his tickets / stubs. On a couple of occasions I was walked up to the Phillies will call desk by a former player who had a relationship with my workplace. There the person said step through the gate and handed me stubs for the seats we had ( right behind home plate with Philly wives etc.)
At current Yankee Stadium I often use a premium parking pass so I go in the gate that press and VIP's go in. There they give name and are handed tickets or lanyards so you know where your seats are.
The idea that a Pass good for all National leauge parks for 1938 was used to attend both of Vandemeer's no hit games is a stretch at best. And my e xperiance not my opinion tells me that.

mcgwirecom 02-07-2018 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigfanNY (Post 1746048)
I think the point is that for the most part a pass to either a major leauge park or parks. Required the pass holder to go to some form of ticket window. (Will call press gate etc.) And there he would receive his tickets / stubs. On a couple of occasions I was walked up to the Phillies will call desk by a former player who had a relationship with my workplace. There the person said step through the gate and handed me stubs for the seats we had ( right behind home plate with Philly wives etc.)
At current Yankee Stadium I often use a premium parking pass so I go in the gate that press and VIP's go in. There they give name and are handed tickets or lanyards so you know where your seats are.
The idea that a Pass good for all National leauge parks for 1938 was used to attend both of Vandemeer's no hit games is a stretch at best. And my e xperiance not my opinion tells me that.

Amen, its hard to get the guys who sell passes to believe this.

Gary Dunaier 02-10-2018 02:24 PM

When I was younger, I used to walk around the ballpark after the game looking for stubs. I haven't done that for years but I do occasionally note the odd stub after a game.

My general gut feeling is that post-game discarded tickets are harder to find than they used to be - partially because there's more of an awareness of tickets as potential collectibles, and there's also the proliferation of print-at-home tickets, making "real" stubs (box office and season ticket style) scarcer.

Interestingly, I did find a discarded ticket stub after Game 4 of the 2015 World Series. This is how I found it:

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/576/23...7fd2c109_b.jpg
(Photo taken October 31, 2015. © Gary Dunaier. Link to upload on Flickr.com: here.)

Unfortunately, once I picked it up I found it was soaked in beer, rendering it uncollectible... so I left it behind. :(