Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   So PSA experts were involved in Maestro Shill Bidding... (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=217296)

tazdmb 01-29-2016 10:52 AM

So PSA experts were involved in Maestro Shill Bidding...

In case anyone has not read the fascinating thread in the main forum, at least three PSA/DNA authenticators-John Reznikoff, Kevin Keating and Zach Rullo-were accused in Maestro Shill bidding for a two year period disclosed. Joe Orlando may have been involved also. Who knows what involvement that was not disclosed. Kevin's name is the most bothersome to me as I rarely use PSA, but have purchased numerous times from him.

My question to collectors-what effect would that have on you? Do you think prices are now over-inflated? Do you lose more confidence in the authenticity of items that PSA has authenticated? Curious to read people's thoughts.

Klrdds 01-29-2016 10:57 AM

[As anyone who knows me is aware of I have never been a fan of TPAs and have never put my full faith into their opinions. Anytime multiple people get involved with a money making venture that is subjective opinion in nature , such as card grading and autograph authenticity , corruption is bound to occur at some point.
These auction houses and TPAs are a perfect example of opinions gone wild in order to make money for a select few at the expense of others, especially their wallets. The old quote " Power tends to corrupt and absolute power corrupts absolutely " by Lord Acton seems quite appropriate to me when seeing all of the names involved throughout this whole sorry episode in our fabulous hobby.
That being said time will tell the effect on the involved dealers , involved TPAs, and all auction houses. More importantly time will determine the True Value of these items after the dust settles. Value remember is only based on what a person is willing to pay for an item.[/

Scott Garner 01-29-2016 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Klrdds (Post 1497306)
[As anyone who knows me is aware of I have never been a fan of TPAs and have never put my full faith into their opinions. Anytime multiple people get involved with a money making venture that is subjective opinion in nature , such as card grading and autograph authenticity , corruption is bound to occur at some point.
These auction houses and TPAs are a perfect example of opinions gone wild in order to make money for a select few at the expense of others, especially their wallets. The old quote " Power tends to corrupt and absolute power corrupts absolutely " by Lord Acton seems quite appropriate to me when seeing all of the names involved throughout this whole sorry episode in our fabulous hobby.
That being said time will tell the effect on the involved dealers , involved TPAs, and all auction houses. More importantly time will determine the True Value of these items after the dust settles. Value remember is only based on what a person is willing to pay for an item.[/

+1 Well said

sbfinley 01-29-2016 03:37 PM

As I stated in the other thread, in the grand scheme of things - no I'm not really fazed by this. Today did nothing but put names to what was already assumed if not accepted.. The sports memorabilia market is a billion dollar industry. If you didn't think it was shady and will always be shady more power to you. I'll still send my unsigned cards to SGC and my signed cards to PSA. As long as they are both strong companies I don't see myself changing in that respect, and what developed today isn't enough to undermine either.

Canofcorn 01-29-2016 03:55 PM

Disappointing...yes. Surprising...not at all.

I have a nice 52T Mantle in a SGC 4 holder. I've been approached by many potential buyers and was told time and time again they are only willing to pay my asking price If it was PSA.

People get too easily influenced by grading companies.

So, further proof for me to keep it as is. I think SGC holders look much nicer anyway.

1952boyntoncollector 01-29-2016 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Canofcorn (Post 1497432)
Disappointing...yes. Surprising...not at all.

I have a nice 52T Mantle in a SGC 4 holder. I've been approached by many potential buyers and was told time and time again they are only willing to pay my asking price If it was PSA.

People get too easily influenced by grading companies.

So, further proof for me to keep it as is. I think SGC holders look much nicer anyway.

right..a SGC 4 for the most part isn't going to go for a PSA 4 price..and there are crossover costs with no guarantee....if SGC further goes downhill your card goes downhill. think about GAI cards..

Johnny630 01-30-2016 08:32 AM

Idk maybe I'm missing something ? Is SGC going downhill? Always thought they had a pretty good reputation ?

earlywynnfan 01-30-2016 09:16 AM

The owner of SGC was one of the most frequent shillers on The List. Many people are understandably going to stay away from them, at least until further knowledge comes out. A few don't care what the heck they do as long as they provide a service they want.