Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980) (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Is It Just Me Or .... (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=275810)

GasHouseGang 11-12-2019 03:34 PM

Is It Just Me Or ....

Whenever you see a PSA10 card now you immediately wonder if it's really that nice or if it has been "doctored" by someone. Sad.

GasHouseGang 11-12-2019 05:17 PM

Well I guess it is just me. What made me think of this was I just received an auction catalog in the mail. When I saw a PSA10 Jordan rookie on the cover, I didn't think, "Wow, nice card!" But instead wondered if it had been trimmed to turn it into a PSA10. I guess I just don't trust any card with a super high grade anymore.

Leon 11-12-2019 05:39 PM

We don't do many PSA 10s on the pre war side but I can safely say I am way, way more of a doubting Thomas on those high grade ones in holders. And from the looks of it all eras are affected.

irv 11-12-2019 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GasHouseGang (Post 1930859)
Whenever you see a PSA10 card now you immediately wonder if it's really that nice or if it has been "doctored" by someone. Sad.

I mentioned/asked this a while ago but I already knew I wasn't the only one thinking the same.

I also mentioned about how my desire has waned about owning a PSA 8 or 9 52 Topps card just to have one.

Anything over a 7, with even some of those included, I always ask myself, wonder if it's legit or not? :(

bnorth 11-12-2019 05:58 PM

Quote:

I have thought that about every PSA card I have ever seen since the beginning. That and wondered who submitted it because some sellers have really ugly cards for the grade printed on the flip.

irv 11-12-2019 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bnorth (Post 1930919)
I have thought that about every PSA card I have ever seen since the beginning. That and wondered who submitted it because some sellers have really ugly cards for the grade printed on the flip.

I remember when I rejoined the hobby realizing these sites existed and seeing all the mint cards.
I asked more than once, since I knew card savers, top loaders, etc, didn't exist back then, how so many of these cards (pre-war mostly) were kept all these years in such pristine shape?

I heard in cigar boxes, between the pages of large books, etc, and I believed those stories, for the most part, but something just didn't sit right with me.

Sadly, as I somewhat suspected, I now know, like all of us, these means of keeping them pristine were, for the most part, likely made up stories. :(

jchcollins 11-13-2019 07:02 AM

This is precisely why I'm very content with my mostly PSA 5 and 6 cards from the 1960's (if they are graded...)

Republicaninmass 11-13-2019 07:14 AM

:o
Quote:

Absolutely.

Even the odd, diamond cut black swamp cards with NO qualifiers are a little disturbing