Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Hey, pennant guys (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=183684)

perezfan 05-12-2017 11:17 AM

Rob....

Lots of great stuff there! Nice pickups... the '51 Double-scroll All Star Pennant is super rare, and nothing screams early '50s quite like that Navy Pennant. LOVE those graphics.

As for the MLB logo first appearing on pennants.... it was the beginning of the end (in terms of quality and artistry). The year was most definitely 1969, as Rob noted.

The NFL and AFL logos appeared earlier than that. It was mid-'60s... I want to say 1964-65, but may need to research that a bit further in order to pinpoint.

Lastly.... for those of us who are old enough, that free-swinging Batter could also have been Manny Sanguillen (the best bad-ball hitter I can remember as a kid). He swung at everything, and was always the toughest guy in the league to walk, haha. He swung at even more bad balls than Vlad, but with a far lower success rate. :rolleyes:

perezfan 05-12-2017 11:25 AM

Regarding that Black/Orange NYG Pennant.... most on ebay right now are repros. Its the softness of the felt that will be the giveaway.... not the color of the tassels.

It should have the good thick soft wool felt that is pliable and bendable (almost limp). If you can slide it into one of those rigid hard plastic pennant covers with relative ease.... it's likely the repro version. Also, the real ones are more of a muted burnt orange than a vibrant bright orange. Hope that helps!

perezfan 05-12-2017 11:44 AM

2 Attachment(s)
The NFL / AFL Logos on pennants date back to at least 1962....

Pictured below are two that I was able to find rather quickly....

* 1963 Detroit Lions Picture Pennant with the "NFL Shield" Logo

* 1960-62 Raiders Pennant with Gold/Black colors (the Raiders switched to Silver/Black in 1963)

There are quite a few other examples from the early 60s... but these two provide some concrete evidence.

Fballguy 05-12-2017 01:00 PM

Thanks for the replies and info Mark!

I don't know how it's possible but I never noticed the logo on those earlier pennants. For the NFL logo, I always picture the single bar helmet pennants. Funny thing is I used to own that Raiders pennant and never made the connection to 1962 for the AFL logo. I guess I need to spend more time looking at my own pennants. I might learn something.

I'm pretty convinced my Giants pennant is the real deal. It passes all the tests and I forgot to mention it is a different shade of orange than the repros I have.

ooo-ribay 05-12-2017 02:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
FWIW - my Keezer NY Giants:

perezfan 05-12-2017 02:52 PM

Rob/Rob...

Now that's the thick felt and "burnt orange" color I tried to describe. I can tell by the "grainy" texture of the felt, that one is good!

Ulidia 05-13-2017 12:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobfreedman (Post 1657591)
I was thrilled to win this one in REA. The condition of it was off the charts in my eyes.

I don't usually have a particular interest in pennants but this is such a beautiful item.

erikc21 05-27-2017 10:30 AM

New collector enjoying the hobby!

4 Attachment(s)
I am VERY new to the pennant collection community and mine are not remotely as rare and cool as many listed, but here are the few I have so far (I just received the Boston one in the mail (folded) this week...

There is an amazing amount of knowledge and variety with this group!

erikc21 05-27-2017 10:39 AM

Minnesota Pennant Collection

1 Attachment(s)
Not your 'typical' collection I admit, but being from Minnesota originally I have sought out to collect a pennant of every MN team i can get my hands one :)

ooo-ribay 05-27-2017 11:10 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Welcome, Erik! Your Boston pennant is interesting to me because I have 10+ different SF Giants pennants with that exact same guy....but in EVERY case, he is facing the other way, as shown.