Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Need advice re: consign original art for popular baseball comic strip (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=248173)

GregMitch34 11-29-2017 06:22 AM

Need advice re: consign original art for popular baseball comic strip

2 Attachment(s)
One of my best friends, Mike Witte, an artist, co-created daily "Scroogy" comic strip with Tug McGraw for two years in mid-'70s, which was syndicated to over 50 top papers in U.S. The strip was collected in two popular books at the time. Mike went on to be a top illustrator for Vanity Fair, The New Yorker etc. (he's not really famous, however) and drew and appeared on air in recent World Series with his illustrations based on games, also has done portraits of stars for MLB and some at Hall Of Fame. He has all 600 of his original "Scroogy" panels, which are a good size (something like 8 x 16) and now wants to consign at least some of them, signed originals.

I have no idea what to tell him about best way to consign, whether as a few singles to judge interest, or in a group of 10 or 20 or 50 or for that matter the complete run....Also, what would possible bidding interest and value be? Here's one panel and one of the two books. Thanks for any tips.

Stonepony 11-29-2017 08:20 AM

I guess I would reach out to the comic/ comic art personnel at Heritage. I'm sure
They would be very helpful.

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE 11-29-2017 08:30 AM

Pm sent

edjs 11-29-2017 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stonepony (Post 1724743)
I guess I would reach out to the comic/ comic art personnel at Heritage. I'm sure
They would be very helpful.

+1 that was my first thought

GregMitch34 11-29-2017 11:49 AM

So is consensus that this is not really a "baseball card/memorabilia" auction house type thing but more of a "comic" thing? Would not do well in the mainly baseball universe? Or what?

drcy 11-29-2017 12:34 PM

It's cross genre-- fits into two areas. You just have to figure out if it will sell better in a sports memorabilia or comic auction. Heritage does both, so ask what they think.

T206Collector 11-29-2017 12:47 PM

One thing to consider would be how Charlie Brown baseball strips do and where they are sold.

drcy 11-29-2017 01:06 PM

Original Peanuts art sells VERY well, but Peanuts is like the Babe Ruth or Elvis of cartoon art. Though, for this thread, a Peanuts with baseball content sells well in either sports or comic strip auctions.

Aquarian Sports Cards 11-29-2017 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T206Collector (Post 1724816)
One thing to consider would be how Charlie Brown baseball strips do and where they are sold.

And then realize if "Peanuts" is the Major Leagues, "Scroogie" is A ball.

Don't get me wrong it's cool, and being syndicated in 50 papers is more impressive than anything I've done, but 50 papers is nothing, especially in the 1970's, and I would say if you took a poll less than half the members here have heard of it. I haven't and I'm the perfect age and geographic location. If THIS group isn't familiar with it I don't like your chances with the general public, or even sports collectible enthusiasts.

I'd guess he'd do very well to get $100 per panel But hey, it wouldn't be the first time I was wrong about something. The other problem is 600 panels at one time will depress them a LOT. Supply will far outstrip demand so even my $100 per would be very optimistic if he were to dump them all at once.

Tao_Moko 11-29-2017 05:16 PM

Like several other members here, I collect a wide array of items including art, comics and cards. I am familiar with Scroogie but doesn't necessarily warrant a place on any of my walls. You can always test the waters with the largest auction of all and try a few on ebay. Patience will payoff better than an all at once auction. I'd list a few at a time and maybe even consign them. My guess is 50-60 per panel. As mentioned above - I could be off so it's just a guess. Good luck.

swarmee 11-29-2017 06:57 PM

I've never heard of Scroogie before and at 38, the biggest thing I know about Tug McGraw is that he illegitimately fathered Tim McGraw the country singer (who wrote about him in "Live Like You Were Dying"). But I'll throw in some ideas:
1) Panels that depict teams or players should be sold individually or in small lots focusing on those teams/players. May not be applicable if none of the strips ever mentioned MLB.
2) Don't flood the market. Release slowly over years. Max lot size of 10.
3) Heritage or REA or Hake's Americana?
4) Trial balloon on eBay might be useful, but what if the first 5 you try to sell that way flop? Then selling at an auctionhouse will be even worse. If first option to get them is through auctionhouse and no realized eBay sales, flippers might battle for them.
5) Any auto'd by Tug? Those might sell at a premium.

Leon 12-06-2017 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swarmee (Post 1724971)
I've never heard of Scroogie before and at 38, the biggest thing I know about Tug McGraw is that he illegitimately fathered Tim McGraw the country singer (who wrote about him in "Live Like You Were Dying"). But I'll throw in some ideas:
1) Panels that depict teams or players should be sold individually or in small lots focusing on those teams/players. May not be applicable if none of the strips ever mentioned MLB.
2) Don't flood the market. Release slowly over years. Max lot size of 10.
3) Heritage or REA or Hake's Americana?
4) Trial balloon on eBay might be useful, but what if the first 5 you try to sell that way flop? Then selling at an auctionhouse will be even worse. If first option to get them is through auctionhouse and no realized eBay sales, flippers might battle for them.
5) Any auto'd by Tug? Those might sell at a premium.

Those are good suggestions......Thanks for the assist.

brianp-beme 12-06-2017 10:51 AM

I looked up Tug Mcgraw in Wikipedia and it mentions Scroogie, and indicates that actual teams and players were used in the strips, so the suggestion by Swarmee about grouping in that fashion seems like a good option.

Brian