Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   The three collections you would most want to see (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=209060)

Howe’s Hunter 07-23-2015 11:57 AM

The three collections you would most want to see

Not because of significance to the hobby, but just because from what you have seen, or heard, would be of the most interest to you. Since my preference is T206s, all three of mine relate to that series. My three would be ...

1. John (Wonkaticket). If I ever do get to Pennsylvania again, John, you most certainly can expect a phone call and visit. The cards you've posted may not be the absolute highest grade, but certainly look stunning in scans, and I can only imagine what they look like in person.

2. Paul (T206 Collector). Just to think about how the cards we all collect and talk about here have survived war, paper drives, careless (and sometimes heartless) mothers, and then you have Paul's collection that isn't just survivors, but with autographs too. They might still have trace DNA on them. The Sheldons on the board would be going crazy. Would really like to see them in person also.

Finally (and a complete fantasy)

3. The combined collection of the gentlemen who have put together T206Resource.com. While I realize there are many contributors to the project, I would imagine that five or six of the names listed hold the majority of the cards talked about (?) and combined would have a collection that would hold my interest for days just going through.

So, whose collections would you like to see in person?

pokerplyr80 07-23-2015 12:06 PM

I would love to see Dmitri Young's collection in person. All of those PSA 10 rookies would be amazing. It's hard to believe any cards survived that long in that condition.

Sean 07-23-2015 12:30 PM

First, Keith Olbermann's collection. The Collins proof, all the other un-issued proofs, a couple Wagners. :eek:

Second, Richard Masson (sp?). He has a near set of T215 Pirates, a large number of T215 Red Cross, and who knows what else.

Third, David Hall. He's going for a T206 Master set. I would love to see them, even the cards he's outbid me for. :rolleyes:

mrvster 07-23-2015 01:04 PM

Sean....

+ 1 on olberman .......then Wonka for sure! then............hmmmmmmmmmmmm...

hall

if hall had more scraps / freaks, he'd move up to the top...

Orioles1954 07-23-2015 01:12 PM

My own :)

wonkaticket 07-23-2015 01:12 PM

Ed, guys I'm flattered wow. To even be mentioned in a thread with collections like Masson & Olbermann is an honor. I feel a bit out of place my collection compared to those gentleman is like being a brown pair of shoes in a tuxedo world.

Cheers,

John

Peter_Spaeth 07-23-2015 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 (Post 1434265)
I would love to see Dmitri Young's collection in person. All of those PSA 10 rookies would be amazing. It's hard to believe any cards survived that long in that condition.

Perhaps they had some help.:)

Epps 07-23-2015 01:23 PM

1. Richard Masson

2. Scott Brockelman

3. Wonka

Rob D. 07-23-2015 01:29 PM

1. Spalding Collection

2. Burdick Collection

3. Wharton-Tigar Collection

mattsey9 07-23-2015 01:37 PM

Olbermann's collection for sure. Everything from the Wagners to 2015 Topps Archives.

benchod 07-23-2015 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 (Post 1434265)

Yes, yes it is hard to believe that :rolleyes:

pokerplyr80 07-23-2015 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1434301)

I better leave this one alone before this turns into a thread about PSA conspiracies or card doctors. Although some of his cards may have had assistance at some point.

I see no one has mentioned the obvious choice, Marshall Fogel. I'm sure we'd all love to see his collection in person. Although maybe it's best I don't because I already spend too much money on cards and don't need another excuse to want to add to or upgrade my collection.

TanksAndSpartans 07-23-2015 02:16 PM

I believe Dmitri Young's collection was all post war rookie cards and that it was auctioned off several years ago. In the ESPN article, it was mentioned how much money he spent on it and my interpretation was that he must have bought a lot of unopened material to spend that much. He also mentioned sending cards back to PSA when he didn't get a 10.

Peter_Spaeth 07-23-2015 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DezHood (Post 1434326)
I believe Dmitri Young's collection was all post war rookie cards and that it was auctioned off several years ago. In the ESPN article, it was mentioned how much money he spent on it and my interpretation was that he must have bought a lot of unopened material to spend that much. He also mentioned sending cards back to PSA when he didn't get a 10.

One day's 9 is another day's 10. Essentially arbitrary most of the time.

pokerplyr80 07-23-2015 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DezHood (Post 1434326)

From what I read it was all post war HOFers in PSA 10. I collect the same thing (in lower grade of course) which is why it would have been cool to see. I did read the same about him submitting and resubmitting on various cards, and have seen a few cards at auctions that were slabbed from his collection. So it wouldn't surprise me if he sold off the entire lot.

darwinbulldog 07-23-2015 02:48 PM

1. Olbermann
2. Luckey
3. Masson

If I'm lucky (pun unavoidable in this case) I'll get to see maybe 0.5% of Leon's collection by early September.

7nohitter 07-23-2015 03:38 PM

I would love to walk around Boston and find the 95-year-old who is still living in the same brownstone he grew up in and remembers his father giving him the cards out of the cigarette packs.

The guy who kept them, not because he has any knowledge of the hobby, but because his father gave them to him. THAT is the collection I want to see.

They are out there.

Jdoggs 07-23-2015 03:42 PM

Marshall Fogel
Ken Kendrick
Thomas tull

edjs 07-23-2015 03:56 PM

1. Mark Macrae's
2. That's about it
3. Really, just this one

I guess I just don't know enough about other people's collections

clydepepper 07-23-2015 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 7nohitter (Post 1434349)
I would love to walk around Boston and find the 95-year-old who is still living in the same brownstone he grew up in and remembers his father giving him the cards out of the cigarette packs.

The guy who kept them, not because he has any knowledge of the hobby, but because his father gave them to him. THAT is the collection I want to see.

They are out there.

+1

philliesphan 07-23-2015 04:03 PM

Mark Macrae
Olbermann
Masson

atx840 07-23-2015 04:19 PM

Olberman, David Hall & Wonka (primarily those beautiful adverts/posters)

Visit Johnny V's freak circus is on my bucket list as well.

ls7plus 07-23-2015 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1434301)

+++1. That would be my utmost concern if paying the kind of money those go for! If indeed they had "some help," then more of the same might certainly be on the way for their more lowly regarded (graded) counterparts. Supply increases to the point where it outpaces any increase in demand, values fall.

Best regards,

Larry

shernan30 07-23-2015 05:55 PM

1. Keith Olbermann

2. Richard Masson

3. Wonka

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

clydepepper 07-23-2015 06:05 PM

It would be nice to see Olbermann's again...but those dang restraining orders!

rainier2004 07-23-2015 06:29 PM

Olberman, Masson and I wish I could have seen Jim Blumenthals entire collection as it was amazing.

sago 07-23-2015 06:39 PM

Keith Olbermann
Dan McKee
Larry Serota

CobbvLajoie1910 07-23-2015 06:58 PM

I am sure there are others, but Jeff Prin.zer's postcard collection would be near the top of my list.

Kawika 07-23-2015 07:04 PM

The one collection I'd like to see is the mud room at Graig Kreindler's home.
http://photos.imageevent.com/ltsgall...58788274_n.jpg

T206Collector 07-23-2015 07:05 PM

I'm stunned to be on your list Ed. That's very considerate of you. I've always thought of your collection as a sort of parallel to mine - T206s with a personal touch. Anyone here would love to see your Howe McCormicks in one place in person.

I'd also like to see the Olbermann collection, for the 2 dozen or so signed cards he told me he had, without identifying them for me.

And I'd love to see Jeff Morey's collection of signed pre-war cards, pre-2001 when Mastro got his hands on them for his auctions.

benchod 07-23-2015 07:12 PM

Surprised no one has mentioned Fritsch

Peter_Spaeth 07-23-2015 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by benchod (Post 1434448)
Surprised no one has mentioned Fritsch

You just did.:rolleyes:

kkkkandp 07-23-2015 07:56 PM

I am also stunned no one has brought up Jay Miller!

As an Old Judge collector myself, his would be #1 on my list!

mrvster 07-23-2015 08:04 PM

Chris......

you will definitely see it! you helped build it with me:)

thanks man!:)

Joe_G. 07-23-2015 08:22 PM

Jay Miller would also be #1 on my list but I was fortunate to study it while collaborating on the OJ book. The book gave me great excuse to study and view some of the world's best private and public collections including the BB HOF (nice collection of N172s and even more impressive N173s) and Burdick's collection at the Met.

There are still many more collections I'd love the opportunity to view. I won't bring attention to several private collections but will name the Edward Wharton-Tigar collection in the British Museum, London as a must. Some day . . .

wonkaticket 07-23-2015 09:18 PM

Mine are easy....

Today's list, the three M's I may be able to bribe my way into two of these gentleman's lairs...but even in then I think I'd have to deploy the of' candy gram for Mongo routine to make it past their gates. :D

Miller
Macrae
Masson

From the past:

Burdick
Tigar
Halper

P.S. I've seen McKee's but honestly it's nothing since pops sold the Baltimore News Ruth's, besides it's all raw so none of it really exists. :)

clydepepper 07-23-2015 10:09 PM

Yet another one of the books I have yet to read is 'Smithsonian Baseball: Inside the World's Finest Private Collections' which includes a write up '19th-Century Memorabilia' by Corey R. Shanus and Net54's own Barry Sloate, but, regrettably, also includes a Bill Mastro contribution.

Speaking of Mastro's contribution, it would be fun to see Brian Seigel's collection while he still owned THE CARD.

I think seeing Barry Halper's Collection in person would have been a great thrill. If you don't have one already, I would highly recommend getting of copy of his catalog from when he sold everything that wasn't donated to museums.

kmac32 07-23-2015 10:41 PM

Kevin Andrews E121-80 collection and SMPEP'S W572 collection

TheBig6 07-23-2015 11:42 PM

D. Bryan
Olbermann
T. Newcomb

Huysmans 07-24-2015 04:32 AM

For myself, I'm more into tactile, and display type pieces than cards, so the three collections I'd like to see in person, in no particular order are....

1. Perezfan (Mark)
2. Vintagesportscollector (Joe)
3. Carlton Hendricks

SMPEP 07-24-2015 09:22 AM

Wow ... I never expected to make this list! Thanks for the shout out Ken.

I know many will find this crazy ... but I'd love to see John Roger's collection.

Why? With the hope that I would learn enough from viewing it to be able to identify fake versus the legitimate photos. (I don't think that's a skill I currently possess.) From what John's collection sounds like ... he has lots of both ... so I should be able to learn how to spot the differences.

Cheers,
Patrick

Howe’s Hunter 07-24-2015 10:22 AM

Happy to see how this thread is turning out. Its about vintage baseball, not about a certain issue or even just cards. Its everything that interests someone and they would like to see.

Honestly, had never heard of Marshall Fogel before this thread. Sounds like he has cool stuff. Wouldn't make my list, but found out about a great passion someone has for something vintage baseball.

A hobby, not a business. Think that is what most of us are in it for.

Touch'EmAll 07-24-2015 10:41 AM

twist...

I'll go off the board here, but I would like to see an REA auction with all the items together displayed nice to check out and gawk. Obviously not any one persons stuff, but a heck of an assemblage, er, collection.

And my own collection, pretty fond of it, but has not been put all together in one room for display in long, long time - plus I own it all - how sweet it is.

slidekellyslide 07-24-2015 10:52 AM

Collections I'd most like to see:

1. Keith Olbermann
2. Dave Eskenazi
3. Clint Hromek

Bpm0014 07-24-2015 11:52 AM

Anyone know if Thomas Tull is a member of this forum? I heard he has a killer collection.....

brian1961 07-24-2015 12:25 PM

I second the vote on the collection of the late Larry Fritsch.

ls7plus 07-24-2015 04:12 PM

Given a time machine, I'd like to see mine, when its done (it IS coming along quite nicely again after some unfortunate detours).

May your collecting bring you great joy,

Larry

familytoad 07-24-2015 10:27 PM

Keeping my list to N54:
In no order,
Mark Macrae
Kenny Cole
David McDonald

I'm pretty sure these guys have dozens or hundreds of cards that I want to see, want to hold and want to own. But on this board, limiting it to three collections leaves off a dozen more that I'd love to see...make that three dozen:D

JasonD08 07-25-2015 07:40 AM

Olbermann considering I contributed quite a bit to his signed card collection. From his emails of needs lists, his collection must be incredible.

71buc 07-25-2015 09:42 PM

Perezfan (Mark)
Dave Eskenazi
Hcv123 (Howard Chasser)

The first 2 are in my neck of the woods so maybe one day....