Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Non-baseball vintage card questions (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=61149)

Archive 01-14-2002 07:22 AM

Non-baseball vintage card questions

Posted By: <b>Ephuspitch</b><p>Just so those of you who are counting know ... I'm one of the many lurkers screwing up the page-view numbes for this board: I check things at least twice a day. I don't post much because I don't know an awful lot about cards. My own collection is HOF pitchers, and I'm at least vaguely familiar with most vintage baseball type-cards, with most of what I know coming from this board right here. (BTW, thanks Runscott ... my wife loved the t206s ... thanks for that beautiful Speaker/Alfred E. Neumann rarity, too!)<BR><BR>On to my questions:<BR>I've just come into possession of some vintage athlete cards, but all my reference books refer to baseball cards only. I'm in the dark.<BR><BR>The cards I have are mostly T218s (bareknuckle boxers, golfers, runners, billiard players), and I've had at least a little bit of luck finding out about them, but I don't know anything about the nuances of T218 values (backs, stars, rarities, etc). <BR><BR>There are two other types of cards in the lot I bought, and I'd like to know more about them, too. If anyone can give me info, or refer me to someplace on the web, I'd appreciate it.<BR><BR>The first type may also be T218s ... I'm just not sure. They have fairly large white borders w/name printed at bottom, in border (whereas the T218s have names printed against background, right?), but the images otherwise look like the T218s. They are all boxers, are a little larger than the T218s, and all have Mecca backs.<BR><BR>The other type cards are smaller than the T218s. On the back it says "Prize Fight Series, No 101 - 25 subjects". The backs are Oxfords (khedival co.) and Surbrugs Intermission (subrug co.)<BR><BR>One of the cards is from "Prize Fight Series, No 102 - 25 subjects."<BR><BR><BR>If anybody can tell me ANYTHING about ANY of these, I'll be much obliged.

Archive 01-14-2002 07:28 AM

Posted By: <b>runscott</b><p>I collect the Hassan/Mecca runners, but base value on the ebay market since I don't have any guide or catalog. I've heard there are also Honest Long Cut runner cards, but haven't seen any.

Archive 01-14-2002 11:10 AM

Posted By: <b>David</b><p>Ephuspitch, I can include your query in my next newsletter. I know that several knowledgable vintage boxing card/memorabilia collectors receive the newsletter-- including a T218 collector. If this interests you, let me know.<BR><BR>Simularly Scott, in the next newsletter I will be printing a question from a reader about the cards of an Olympic hurdler who appeared in the Spalding set, and can include any questions you have, if you wish.<BR><BR>Thanks

Archive 01-14-2002 01:11 PM

Posted By: <b>ephuspitch</b><p>I'll be looking out for it ... I think I've discovered that the two types (other than the T218s) are T225s and T220s.<BR><BR>As for what the key cards are, or back scarcities ... or anything else for that matter, I have no idea.<BR>