Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Football Cards Forum (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   48 Leaf Set (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=150251)

smotan_02 04-21-2012 08:58 AM

48 Leaf Set

Hi all,
I'm looking to start this set and curious to get people's advice. I'd like to shoot for a PSA 6 set but not sure if this is a pipe dream. What's people advice on this goal? How about buying raw and hitting a Psa 6 or better on subs?

jefferyepayne 04-21-2012 10:25 AM

'48 Leaf is a great set. I started it raw and have been upgrading slowly while also finishing it. I need 8 high numbers to complete the set in raw/graded form. In general, it's tough to find some of the high numbers and even tougher if they are graded high. As an example, Ray Evans (#72) has commanded the following prices recently on ebay: PSA 7.5 - $905, PSA 6 - $511, PSA 6 - $510.

Several members of N54 (you know who you are!) have sets listed in the PSA registry at an average grade of PSA 6 or better so they probably have better insights than I do about completing this set with a high grade.

Any of them lurking out there?

jeff

Quote:

Originally Posted by smotan_02 (Post 985936)
Hi all,
I'm looking to start this set and curious to get people's advice. I'd like to shoot for a PSA 6 set but not sure if this is a pipe dream. What's people advice on this goal? How about buying raw and hitting a Psa 6 or better on subs?

Publius 04-21-2012 05:58 PM

I hit 75% on this set in PSA 7 and 8, then got really frustrated with what seems to be a flood of trimmed leafs slipping past PSA's ever so strict grading criteria. I sold quite a few off a month ago and will probably sell the rest of the higher graded cards next month and start it over in PSA 6 or so.

It is one of the most doctored sets out there because of the variance in sizes, so educate yourself and be wary of higher grades in newer flips.

PSA 6 would be pretty easy to accomplish to be honest, the first series would go quick, the middle 50's and second series will take you some time to find nicely centered.

smotan_02 04-21-2012 06:16 PM

Thanks for the great advice. That was partly why I want to buy graded as the set seems to lend itself to trimming more so than any other set Ive collected.

clamendo 04-21-2012 10:00 PM

I think its a nice set, but I can remember I could buy the whole set for what people are paying for one high grade card! Its nice to get some of the variations. I actually got PSA to recongize them -- white letters, etc. but its gotten a little out of hand. The Gorgeous George is tough. The white backs are real tough too. A display box recently sold at Legendary, the wrapper is nice too.

Publius 04-21-2012 10:56 PM

Carl, do you remember seeing that 48 leaf display box at the Dreier museum? Scott A just bought that, great pickup.

OTWCards 04-22-2012 10:50 PM

The set is a classic, but lately has become a landmine. I'm looking to find upgrades, but I'm looking to upgrade the cards, not the flips.

My primary focus now is on the White Backgrounds and finding a friggin' wrapper (anyone that can provide images would be greatly appreciates).

The toughest thing is staying away from the influx of "mini's" that have been coming on the market with increased frequency. Learn the two different sized holders commonly used (I'm not counting the oversized ones with the mylar baggie). A mini almost looks legit in the smaller holder. I'll dig out my notes and post a little more in detail about the two holders typically used for the issue.

Thanks for the kinds words about the box, Joe. I really love that thing!!!