Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Probstein123 Still amazed he is in business (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=163410)

Runscott 02-13-2013 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by honus94566 (Post 1088203)
Can somebody send me a PM when this Paul guy has either left the board, or doesn't post that often anymore? Seriously I don't even want to come on and read this forum anymore. I used to come here to read about vintage baseball cards, but all I have seen for the last 2 weeks is an endless tirade from a broken record going on and on about auction houses. Sick of it.

"otherwise, stand aside and let the adults get to work."

Whatever, dude. You're the least grown up person here.

It's only been 18 days. Give him/her time to save up enough allowance for a new video game and things will be back to normal.

lsutigers1973 02-13-2013 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bubblebathgirl (Post 1088270)
+ 1

Please go back to your bf in the camo shorts. Heard he likes +1's.

I really think you only post to aggravate people and some of these folks fall for it. I on the other hand know you are just a lonely guy/gal confused about your currently sexuality.

Jantz 02-13-2013 09:48 PM

honus94566-Dave

Quote:

Originally Posted by honus94566 (Post 1088203)
Can somebody send me a PM when this Paul guy has either left the board, or doesn't post that often anymore? Seriously I don't even want to come on and read this forum anymore. I used to come here to read about vintage baseball cards, but all I have seen for the last 2 weeks is an endless tirade from a broken record going on and on about auction houses. Sick of it.

"otherwise, stand aside and let the adults get to work."

Whatever, dude. You're the least grown up person here.

honus94566-Dave

No need to leave the board!

Just go under "user CP" and add a member's name to your "Ignore List".

Works better than Preparation H! ;)

Jantz

T206DK 02-13-2013 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lsutigers1973 (Post 1088087)
Feel free to go through Rick's feedback and look at bid history on any random auction over $100. Most have at least one bidder with 10-15 bid retractions in last 6 months with a high percentage of Rick's auctions bid on.

In 12 years on eBay I have had a total of 2 retractions.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who has noticed this

sbfinley 02-13-2013 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exhibitman (Post 1088175)
Perhaps you've forgotten the rules here Steve, but this is N54; you can't go around just making logical, well-reasoned, polite posts. What if we all did that???

Once this semester is in the books WE will have the want list complete and bring the NOIZE. Until then it's research papers, red bull, and reason.

bubblebathgirl 02-13-2013 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lsutigers1973 (Post 1088332)
Please go back to your bf in the camo shorts. Heard he likes +1's.

I really think you only post to aggravate people and some of these folks fall for it. I on the other hand know you are just a lonely guy/gal confused about your currently sexuality.

Hi Bill Holler,

Care to explain why you have such horrible feedback on ebay:

http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAP...edbackAsSeller

pepis 02-14-2013 12:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bubblebathgirl (Post 1088365)
Hi Bill Holler,

I don't think he's got the time to explain he's to busy looking for a rock!
paints a clear picture of some of Probstein bashers interesting!!

T205 GB 02-14-2013 05:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lsutigers1973 (Post 1088332)
Please go back to your bf in the camo shorts. Heard he likes +1's

I on the other hand know you are just a lonely guy/gal confused about your currently sexuality.

Bill if I was 15 I might think this comment was funny. I actually find this comment extremely offensive and would ask for you and any other board member to not make comments or gestures pertaining to sexuality. I know you can say as you want here but expect repercussions for comments like that.

kcohen 02-14-2013 06:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hangman62 (Post 1088260)
Hey,
stop ruining the real good" senseless arguement" groove that we got going here... with something so off base as a post of a baseball card !

Posts regarding vintage baseball cards are the meat and potatoes of Net54. An occasional good senseless argument is the gravy.

frankbmd 02-14-2013 06:51 AM

But if you spill the gravy, .......

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcohen (Post 1088396)
Posts regarding vintage baseball cards are the meat and potatoes of Net54. An occasional good senseless argument is the gravy.

then you have to clean the carpet.

teetwoohsix 02-14-2013 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bocabirdman (Post 1088254)
Random card break. Just grabbed the first scan I saw.:D

Attachment 87788

:D Nice !!!

Thanks-

Sincerely, Clayton

lsutigers1973 02-14-2013 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T205 GB (Post 1088381)
Bill if I was 15 I might think this comment was funny. I actually find this comment extremely offensive and would ask for you and any other board member to not make comments or gestures pertaining to sexuality. I know you can say as you want here but expect repercussions for comments like that.

My bad. I blame the beer. The new Budweiser Black Crown is really strong.

My apologies to anyone I may have offended.

bubblebathgirl 02-14-2013 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bubblebathgirl (Post 1088365)
Hi Bill Holler,

Bill Holler, still waiting for an explanation of this:

http://bubblebathgirl.com/images/n54/IMG_0913.PNG
http://bubblebathgirl.com/images/n54/IMG_0914.PNG

ullmandds 02-14-2013 08:47 AM

that's some atrocious feedback!

lsutigers1973 02-14-2013 08:50 AM

Since you insist on posting it everywhere...

I will just include this link http://www.net54baseball.com/showthr...35#post1088435

npa589 02-14-2013 08:54 AM

So much drama on NET54 recently...

MattyC 02-14-2013 10:51 AM

So I pretty much stopped contributing to the PSA boards because of all the keyboard-courage fueled snide remarks, the allegations bordering on slander, the reality-disconnected expectations that people need to somehow be aware of every post about them on a website, and then appear immediately to defend themselves, and a failure to do so implies guilt. The inability of threads to stay focused and debates to stay reasonable and rational, and the overall uncivil, nasty tenor of the discourse. The constant complaining about possible shilling, inconsistent grades, outrageous conspiracy theories, the list goes on ad nauseum.

It's enough to sour someone on the hobby, to see what others who collect are like-- on the internet. Whenever I attend a show, which is infrequent, I have such fun meeting card enthusiasts in person and talking with them. Is it the anonymity of the internet what makes people so nasty toward each other?

All I know is that I'd heard for a long time that the Net54 forum was a place with a much more civil, mature vibe and was where one could go to learn more about cards, and talk cards with fellow collectors.

We all know shilling exists. We all know that the degree of transparency on ebay vs AH's IN EFFECT means nothing, because there is NOTHING stopping random accounts on ebay from shilling.

It seems that anytime anyone loses an auction and gets salty, they can dig up a bidder on ebay and scream SHILL, and then take the utterly unfounded and slanderous leap of implicating the seller as well as the card's owner. What a leap that is.

These days I tend to most trust the customer service of the two main sellers on ebay, Probstein and PWCC. If one were to look at my bidding history in some 30-day windows, they'd see 100% of my bids with those sellers. Does this make me a shiller?

Anyway, I think the internet is a great thing for the hobby, in terms of opening up the market so we can buy cards from all over. But the internet's affect on the social interaction part of our hobby is another thing altogether. Who wants to go somewhere to read about cards and see all this Sturm und Drang?

You see a card you want at auction, bid what you'd like to pay for it. You win it, great, you lose it, whatever. You don't like auctions, buy elsewhere. It's so simple.

No one can stop shilling. That's not defeatist. It's a fact. Human avarice will always find a way. But the individual can render it a moot issue by choosing to pay their price. I've never lost an auction and then went into the auction bidding data to hunt for shillers. I bid, I lost it, I move on in the hunt.

For me, I think the answer is to use the internet only to buy for a while.

I'm going to go look at my cards and remember that they are the hobby, not this thread.

Bugsy 02-14-2013 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MattyC (Post 1088490)
These days I tend to most trust the customer service of the two main sellers on ebay, Probstein and PWCC. If one were to look at my bidding history in some 30-day windows, they'd see 100% of my bids with those sellers. Does this make me a shiller?

Are you talking 10 bids or 100 bids with a single seller over a 30 day window? Do you make a practice of retracting bids?

Runscott 02-14-2013 11:07 AM

edited.

Not sure why I let myself get drawn into these train-wreck threads, but I'm outta here.

Sorry to the legit posters for encouraging these guys.

t206blogcom 02-14-2013 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by npa589 (Post 1088451)
So much drama on NET54 recently...

+1

CMIZ5290 02-14-2013 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Runscott (Post 1088498)
edited.

Not sure why I let myself get drawn into these train-wreck threads, but I'm outta here.

Sorry to the legit posters for encouraging these guys.

+1

Peter_Spaeth 02-14-2013 11:56 AM

54 is starting to feel like Cu. :mad:

lsutigers1973 02-14-2013 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1088516)

I agree. I have a sudden rekindled interest in t206s so I will just try to read the threads and not post.

Taxman 02-14-2013 12:19 PM

CU

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1088516)

Same clowns different circus.

bubblebathgirl 02-14-2013 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lsutigers1973 (Post 1088450)

Still waiting for an explanation of why you tried to ripoff at least 9 different people on ebay for thousands of dollars.

The evidence isn't going anywhere.

And BTW, because ebay is setup with a feedback system and semi-transparency we're able to see that Bill Holler is a crook ... with AHs you'd never know since they have neither.

Leon 02-14-2013 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bubblebathgirl (Post 1088647)
Still waiting for an explanation of why you tried to ripoff at least 9 different people on ebay for thousands of dollars.

The evidence isn't going anywhere.

And BTW, because ebay is setup with a feedback system and semi-transparency we're able to see that Bill Holler is a crook ... with AHs you'd never know since they have neither.

OK Paul. Now you are starting to wear on me. Everybody on this board knows how you feel concerning auction houses. You have reiterated yourself so many times I am about to puke. We get it. As far as Bill and his ebay stuff, he explained his side. I suggest you move on to what this board is best for and that is discussing vintage baseball cards or newer ones in the appropriate areas. thanks

Peter_Spaeth 02-14-2013 04:11 PM

Leon how do you really feel? :D

Leon 02-14-2013 04:30 PM

Btw, I emailed Bill, LSUtigers1973, when he came on the board concerning his ebay issues. If anyone cares to look Bill had 1450+ transactions, and besides some issue with those silver coins (9 negs), had only 2 negatives. So I feel there was an issue with the silver coins but besides that he had been a pretty good ebayer. Not perfect, but pretty darned good. We don't usually get into things not on this board, in the way of who is permitted here. Regardless of that this bickering back and forth is going to stop very soon. If anyone isn't on this page to discuss vintage baseball cards then there are other places you might go, but it's not here. Don't take this the wrong way....pointing out issues is a good thing. Pointing the same ones out over and over and over, and belaboring the point, not so good.

http://www.toolhaus.org/cgi-bin/negs...rn=Received+by

Runscott 02-14-2013 04:45 PM

I still like the idea of a 'playpen' sub-sub-sub-forum, where the new PSA people can talk about this stuff to their heart's content. Any vintage people who visited that area would know exactly what they were getting themselves into.

jcmtiger 02-14-2013 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 1088648)
OK Paul. Now you are starting to wear on me. Everybody on this board knows how you feel concerning auction houses. You have reiterated yourself so many times I am about to puke. We get it. As far as Bill and his ebay stuff, he explained his side. I suggest you move on to what this board is best for and that is discussing vintage baseball cards or newer ones in the appropriate areas. thanks

Amen, It seems when some of the newer members left other boards and joined here we get more and more of these argumentive(spelling?) posts.

Joe

hangman62 02-14-2013 05:18 PM

here here

I like that comment - keyboard courage !.... probably a lot of nerdy,goofy,out of shape,overweight,bald, members...that sign in to net 54..pop open a beer ( or stronger !) ..and start typing away...getting bolder and bolder sitting behind their little desk top computer..in the dark...with the TV in the backround tuned to some stupid reality show ...and there they sit ..with the three day old dirty shirt on..and worn out ripped shorts....what I sight !..but they have " keyboard courage" ...
I just cringe at that thought of this in my mind !

Ral G

FirstYearCards 02-14-2013 05:25 PM

As a long time collector I have visited this site often for information and recently have been posting. I find it troubling all the new posts about complaining and calling people out. Maybe a "bitching or complaining" section should be added to clean up this site. This is the Vintage(Pre-WWII) section and should remain so. (I get the irony of my complaint, sorry.) Bill.

MattyC 02-14-2013 05:43 PM

Funny, I'm new here so far be it from me to make any suggestions to a longtime community, but was also thinking how all online forums would benefit from a discrete "Bitching & Moaning" section, where all griping and negativity could be. Would make the other areas so pleasant to browse and likely lead to more time spent on the site(s).

hangman62 02-14-2013 05:48 PM

Yes

I agree !, also Id like to see all members pass a breathilizer test before logging onto the site

Ral G

Smanzari 02-14-2013 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FirstYearCards (Post 1088697)
As a long time collector I have visited this site often for information and recently have been posting. I find it troubling all the new posts about complaining and calling people out. Maybe a "bitching or complaining" section should be added to clean up this site. This is the Vintage(Pre-WWII) section and should remain so. (I get the irony of my complaint, sorry.) Bill.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MattyC (Post 1088706)
Funny, I'm new here so far be it from me to make any suggestions to a longtime community, but was also thinking how all online forums would benefit from a discrete "Bitching & Moaning" section, where all griping and negativity could be. Would make the other areas so pleasant to browse and likely lead to more time spent on the site(s).

Quote:

Originally Posted by hangman62 (Post 1088708)
I agree !, also Id like to see all members pass a breathilizer test before logging onto the site

Ral G

+1! I recently joined and was super excited both to gain knowledge and build my collection not to partake/view posts like this...

bubblebathgirl 02-14-2013 06:10 PM

I agree there should be some sort of "Policing" section where members can call attention to any nefarious activities that are happening.

Matthew H 02-14-2013 06:21 PM

I'm surprised how many people are against calling out possible wrong doing in our hobby.... It's also strange how many people are coming out of the woodwork to defend Rick. Very interesting.

I will add that I'm happy to see Rick post and discuss his customers bidding practices. I wish he'd not allow so many retractions but we can't win them all.

Kawika 02-14-2013 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MattyC (Post 1088706)

Net54 already has a Bitching & Moaning section. It's called the Autograph Forum.

Bestdj777 02-14-2013 09:04 PM

I am bald, overweight, out of shape, and usually watching crappy reality TV when on this site. Thanks Ral. Still, manage to pick up a few cards here and there. Got this one a little while back. Looks like it was laminated. Any idea if that was the case?

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/1932-ZEENUT-s...pnQ~~60_12.JPG

Leon 02-14-2013 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bestdj777 (Post 1088814)
I am bald, overweight, out of shape, and usually watching crappy reality TV when on this site. Thanks Ral. Still, manage to pick up a few cards here and there. Got this one a little while back. Looks like it was laminated. Any idea if that was the case?

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/1932-ZEENUT-s...pnQ~~60_12.JPG

It looks like smudges to me although it does have a "plasticy" shine to it....does it feel like laminate? :)

Kawika....yours might be the best sig line saying I have seen-

"Greetings and Love to One and All"

that's quite classic.

Bestdj777 02-14-2013 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 1088823)
It looks like smudges to me although it does have a "plasticy" shine to it....does it feel like laminate? :)

It looks and feels laminated to me. The guy I bought it from suggested that it might have had wax applied. My guess would have been lamination, but really not sure what was readily available around the time this was released and whether anyone has come across anything similar. Very familiar with people shellacking balls, but not so familiar with people coating their cards.

botn 02-14-2013 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hangman62 (Post 1088708)

Ral G

Maybe an IQ test as well. Amazing what has found it's way here.

murcerfan 02-14-2013 10:06 PM

I'm not as think as you drunk I am.

cmcclelland 02-14-2013 10:10 PM

Murcerfan sighting.

Kawika 02-14-2013 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 1088823)
Kawika....yours might be the best sig line saying I have seen-

"Greetings and Love to One and All"

that's quite classic.

Stole it from a reggae movie. It's an attitude I aspire to although I frequently fall short.
I have always regarded jcmtiger Joe's "Ty Cobb, Spikes Flying" as one of the best Net54 sig lines ever. Terse and evocative - a ton of baseball content packed into four short words. But for all around impact it's hard to beat Jay (or was it Lee?) Behren's "Mom upside down is wow". Hard to put a good spin on that one but always was good for a perverted chuckle.
What was this thread about again?

Matthew H 02-14-2013 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bestdj777 (Post 1088830)
It looks and feels laminated to me. The guy I bought it from suggested that it might have had wax applied. My guess would have been lamination, but really not sure what was readily available around the time this was released and whether anyone has come across anything similar. Very familiar with people shellacking balls, but not so familiar with people coating their cards.

It's a waxer... A kid waxed it back in the day and used it for "flipping"? I might be wrong about the name of the game, I'm having a memory lapse.

It was waxed to make it slightly heavier, which made it easier to toss and lean against the wall it was tossed at.

sdkammeyer 02-14-2013 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hangman62 (Post 1088690)
I like that comment - keyboard courage !.... probably a lot of nerdy,goofy,out of shape,overweight,bald, members...that sign in to net 54..pop open a beer ( or stronger !) ..and start typing away...getting bolder and bolder sitting behind their little desk top computer..in the dark...with the TV in the backround tuned to some stupid reality show ...and there they sit ..with the three day old dirty shirt on..and worn out ripped shorts....what I sight !..but they have " keyboard courage" ...
I just cringe at that thought of this in my mind !

Ral G

so that WAS you peeping in my window. Please stop. You are scaring my dog :)

hangman62 02-15-2013 04:40 AM

Oh OK..so that was you after all !

Bestdj777 02-15-2013 04:59 AM

Thanks Matt. That is what the seller had said, I just hadn't heard of anyone waxing their cards. I appreciate the confirmation.

CMIZ5290 02-15-2013 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by botn (Post 1088836)
Maybe an IQ test as well. Amazing what has found it's way here.

Thanks Greg, How ironic.....:rolleyes: