Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Board Features (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=265611)

Leon 02-10-2019 12:49 PM

Board Features

1 Attachment(s)
Since I just had a nice board member ask me about an id of a member, and his response was -
"Sweet! Been on here for around nine years and never knew that. Thanks, Leon."
I figure I might as well point out there is a thin blue line across all of the pages, with small words in it. One of them is the word Community. If you click on that there is s drop down menu and there are members ids, a lot of photo albums (free to use ) and so forth.
One other thing, members can set their number of posts they see in a thread, up to 80 posts per page, in order to not have tons of pages in longer threads...Happy roaming..
(was glad to get these back a while ago :))

Fred 02-10-2019 01:58 PM

What happened to the links to ebay searches for the different cards? I used that a lot and it's been gone for a short while now.

dougscats 02-12-2019 09:55 AM

Have to agree with the post above.
I miss the separate links for ebay searches.

Leon 02-12-2019 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dougscats (Post 1854000)
Have to agree with the post above.
I miss the separate links for ebay searches.

Give them time, many will probably be back. Are there specific searches yawl want up there? Babe Ruth, Ty Cobb, Gehrig etc...?

dougscats 02-12-2019 04:40 PM

T206.

I’ve checked it every day for years.
I know that T206’s are included in the pre-war category, and that I could screen them out. I used to do that and maybe will again.
But the Net54 link was best.

Bram99 02-17-2019 11:44 AM

Particular year affinity groups?

Leon,

Your post got me thinking: I am a collector of a lot of things, but right now my focus is 1949 Bowman baseball. Does Net54 now have, or have they ever had, affinity groups for specific sets? I am interested in connecting with other collectors or with dealers who have 1949's as I try to upgrade my set. Are there any board features that cater to this kind of interest?

Tony

ejharrington 02-26-2019 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 1853462)
Since I just had a nice board member ask me about an id of a member, and his response was -
"Sweet! Been on here for around nine years and never knew that. Thanks, Leon."
I figure I might as well point out there is a thin blue line across all of the pages, with small words in it. One of them is the word Community. If you click on that there is s drop down menu and there are members ids, a lot of photo albums (free to use ) and so forth.
One other thing, members can set their number of posts they see in a thread, up to 80 posts per page, in order to not have tons of pages in longer threads...Happy roaming..
(was glad to get these back a while ago :))

Leon - is there a way to search threads/posts for a full phrase? For example, if I want to search for "Charles Nelson Riley", can I get results for just that exact phrase and not for anything with Charles, Nelson, or Riley in it? I seem to not be able to do this. Thanks.

Leon 02-26-2019 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ejharrington (Post 1858452)
Leon - is there a way to search threads/posts for a full phrase? For example, if I want to search for "Charles Nelson Riley", can I get results for just that exact phrase and not for anything with Charles, Nelson, or Riley in it? I seem to not be able to do this. Thanks.

We probably need a s/w upgrade but the pain involved probably isn't worth the gain yielded, at this point. I use simple searches on our forum or I use Google and search Net54 and whatever..... Even though we aren't very Google friendly it seems to find us. I wish I had a better answer. Other members might know more than me about it.

Tony- There is a section of the board where post war but pre-1980 baseball cards are talked about, that is where you might discuss those cards.
http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7

Doug- we are putting some of the links back up there. IT will roll out over the next few days or so. You can see what some of it looks like under the archive tab.

JollyElm 02-26-2019 02:19 PM

Someone posted this a while ago and I copied it. Sorry that I can't give proper credit to the net54 member, but here's the answer you're looking for:

A far better way to search the forum for old posts is to go to the url/address box and type "search site:www.net54baseball.com" (without the quotes) followed by a space and then whatever it is that you want to search for. This will let you use Boolean operators built into Google that Net54 doesn't allow (AND and OR) and quotation marks to search for an exact phrase. It is much better than using the forum's search option.

bn2cardz 02-26-2019 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ejharrington (Post 1858452)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 1858454)
We probably need a s/w upgrade but the pain involved probably isn't worth the gain yielded, at this point. I use simple searches on our forum or I use Google and search Net54 and whatever..... Even though we aren't very Google friendly it seems to find us. I wish I had a better answer. Other members might know more than me about it.

Tony- There is a section of the board where post war but pre-1980 baseball cards are talked about, that is where you might discuss those cards.
http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7

Doug- we are putting some of the links back up there. IT will roll out over the next few days or so. You can see what some of it looks like under the archive tab.

I would second using the google search. If you put site:www.net54baseball.com in the google search along with your search phrase it will only search this site for that phrase. The only real limitation I have found are areas (BST) that aren't searchable for non members and therefor won't show up in a google search.

ejharrington 02-26-2019 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bn2cardz (Post 1858459)
I would second using the google search. If you put site:www.net54baseball.com in the google search along with your search phrase it will only search this site for that phrase. The only real limitation I have found are areas (BST) that aren't searchable for non members and therefor won't show up in a google search.

Thanks all; the Google approach works very well.

Leon 02-28-2019 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ejharrington (Post 1858468)
Thanks all; the Google approach works very well.

Google is your friend. We got the links added back so folks can click away if they want to. And T206s are on top because why not? Also folks shouldn't forget to check out our community tab for lots of members albums of cards.

dougscats 03-08-2019 06:27 AM

Pre-WWII Cards Ebay link error?

I think that the Pre-WWII Cards ebay link is erroneous.
When I press it, I get only T205 listings.

Also, can you restore/add the ebay promotions link?

Leon 03-08-2019 06:44 AM

WE will get the pre war one fixed. Of course it is T205s, what do you think I collect? :) I will see what we can do about the promotions link too...
thanks for the feedback

Quote:

Originally Posted by dougscats (Post 1860852)
I think that the Pre-WWII Cards ebay link is erroneous.
When I press it, I get only T205 listings.

Also, can you restore/add the ebay promotions link?

dabigyankeeman 03-09-2019 08:56 AM

Never knew about the albums feature, I would love to have an album with a lot of my cards in it. I assume its not unlimited in size, how big can an album be? For instance, I have scans of sheets in my collections that are full page size, how many of those full size pages could i put in an album here?

dougscats 03-30-2019 07:51 AM

Does anyone else have a problem with the Pre-WWII link?

My link is still not working properly, showing only T205’s.

Maybe it’s a problem with my program?

Jobu 03-30-2019 08:04 AM

Hey ma - look, I was quoted!! :D

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=201527

I thought a general tips thread would be helpful, but it didn't get too far.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JollyElm (Post 1858455)
Someone posted this a while ago and I copied it. Sorry that I can't give proper credit to the net54 member, but here's the answer you're looking for:

A far better way to search the forum for old posts is to go to the url/address box and type "search site:www.net54baseball.com" (without the quotes) followed by a space and then whatever it is that you want to search for. This will let you use Boolean operators built into Google that Net54 doesn't allow (AND and OR) and quotation marks to search for an exact phrase. It is much better than using the forum's search option.

Leon 03-30-2019 01:42 PM

No, I have been remiss in getting it fixed. I will get it done asap. Thanks for the reminder. As for Tapatalk, I am not a fan personally, but many members like it.

ps...Arnie, the picture albums are limited. Since you asked I just looked and made the album area bigger. Now instead of 6 albums of 25 pictures, each member can have 10 albums of 25 pictures. And the size of each is probably limited to 85kb as with other forum picture hosting (though I have seen a bit above that, but not much). We are using quite a bit of data space and the costs go up with increased usage. That is one reason for some limits.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dougscats (Post 1866388)
Does anyone else have a problem with the Pre-WWII link?

My link is still not working properly, showing only T205’s.

Maybe it’s a problem with my program?

buymycards 03-30-2019 01:58 PM

Pictures

Hi Leon, I currrently have 126 pictures in my T213-2 folder. 25 pictures per page. Plus, I have had 7 albums for quite some time.

Rick

http://www.net54baseball.com/album.php?albumid=449

pokerplyr80 03-30-2019 02:02 PM

That 80 posts per page was a real game changer when I first found out about it. If there's a way to do it I would recommend making that the default setting.

Leon 03-30-2019 02:14 PM

Well, I don't want to blow the board up or delete it by accident :), but I think I just made the standard to be 50 posts before it is another page. Any members that have it set from 50 to our max of 80 won't be affected. Making it start at 80 probably isn't an issue either so we'll see.

And Rick, I thought it was 200 pics before but could be wrong. It doesn't look like most folks use all of their space anyway. So I am not sure it's an issue.
Quote:

Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 (Post 1866477)
That 80 posts per page was a real game changer when I first found out about it. If there's a way to do it I would recommend making that the default setting.

buymycards 03-30-2019 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 (Post 1866477)

Hi Jesse, click on your username, then on User CP. Click on Edit Options, then scroll down to thread display options, then number of posts per page.

Rick

pokerplyr80 03-30-2019 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buymycards (Post 1866487)
Hi Jesse, click on your username, then on User CP. Click on Edit Options, then scroll down to thread display options, then number of posts per page.

Rick

Thanks Rick, but I found out about this feature a while back. Just meant making the higher post count per page a default setting would be useful for those who don't know about it.

And Leon that sounds good. I think it was 10 per page when I first signed up. I said something about scrolling through 10 pages of responses when someone pointed out the 80 option.