Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Team Bat Sets (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=239464)

Dave Grob 05-08-2017 05:01 PM

Team Bat Sets

Around 2000-2001 I sold off the bulk of my Reds collection as we bought our first house. Part of this included game use bats for every position player from the 1970, 1972, and 1975-1976 teams (except Julian Javier). Then around 2004, I sold off most of my bats from the players for the original TV series Home Run derby.

Feeling at a loss for Cincinnati, I decided to keep the Frank Robinson bat from the Home Run Derby set and start in on the 1961 Reds team. I have already posted about landing the Jerry Zimmerman bat, but I would love to hear from folks who put or are putting together “team set” of vintage game used bats (pre-1980s). Questions for the thread are along the lines of:

1. What team?
2. Why you picked it?
3. Toughest bat of the set (NOT the most expensive)?
4. Was there one that got away?
5. How close are you?

For me, I may try to pick up two more players to take it down to all position players with 50 or games and then declare victory.

Dave Grob

slidekellyslide 05-08-2017 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Grob (Post 1659259)
Around 2000-2001 I sold off the bulk of my Reds collection as we bought our first house. Part of this included game use bats for every position player from the 1970, 1972, and 1975-1976 teams (except Julian Javier). Then around 2004, I sold off most of my bats from the players for the original TV series Home Run derby.

Feeling at a loss for Cincinnati, I decided to keep the Frank Robinson bat from the Home Run Derby set and start in on the 1961 Reds team. I have already posted about landing the Jerry Zimmerman bat, but I would love to hear from folks who put or are putting together “team set” of vintage game used bats (pre-1980s). Questions for the thread are along the lines of:

1. What team?
2. Why you picked it?
3. Toughest bat of the set (NOT the most expensive)?
4. Was there one that got away?
5. How close are you?

For me, I may try to pick up two more players to take it down to all position players with 50 or games and then declare victory.

Dave Grob

How difficult would it be to get a bat from every single player on the 61 Reds?

Dave Grob 05-08-2017 05:48 PM

Team Bat Sets

Dan,
Wow...There are 37 players for that team. I suspect that some of the pitchers may not have bats of their own, but you could see bats with PITCHERS on the barrel and their number on the knob. I have seen that a few times. I have been pretty involved in collecting Reds stuff off and on (more on than off) since the late 1970s, and really can’t imagine that this might be too feasible given how long it has taken me to get this far with a pretty concerted effort.
Dave Grob

slidekellyslide 05-08-2017 05:52 PM

I figured as much, but wasn't sure if you had passed on bats from players who had appeared in fewer games than your criteria for your collection.

Dave Grob 05-08-2017 06:01 PM

Team Bats

Dan,

There have been a couple of players (2-3) that I have passed on, but these have guys who may have appeared in the 4-6 game range. For me, they just seemed out of context and, if I get them, it would just gnaw at me that I could not find them all. I guess with age has come the balance between the hunt and some informed and managed expectations.

Dave Grob

ooo-ribay 05-08-2017 06:26 PM

Question for you, Dave.....do your 1961 Reds team bats have to have the markings of that era? LS had a 1961-63 style and Adirindacks were marked the same from 1961-67. I'm thinking this is not part of your criteria because this would make a very tough task nearly impossible, especially with the Louisville Sluggers.

I have a couple hundred Giants bats. My criteria is (for ones not marked with the team name) that the markings match or overlap any particular player's time in the orange and black.

I may look in my records and see if I am nearly complete on any particular team. If so, I'm guessing one of the Humm Baby teams (1987-89) or the 103 game winners (with no playoffs :( ) of 1993.

Dave Grob 05-08-2017 06:44 PM

Team Set Bats

For me, yes and no. While most are H&B 1961-1963 labeling period, a few or either side of that, but not by much. Not too many of these guys had careers that ran into the 1970s (Robinson & Pinson did), but even with those guys, I think I would have held out for something period.

I do have one I know is from the 1961 season as the Pinson bat is a 1961 World Series H&B.

Dave Grob

Mark 05-08-2017 06:48 PM

how many bats in a team set?

I guess I take a pretty easy-going approach. I'd be satisfied with the 8 regulars and their platoon partners. If a player didn't make it on the playoff roster or WS roster, I wouldn't make a great effort to get the bat. But maybe I'm not taking it seriously enough yet!

ooo-ribay 05-08-2017 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Grob (Post 1659294)
For me, yes and no. While most are H&B 1961-1963 labeling period, a few or either side of that, but not by much. Not too many of these guys had careers that ran into the 1970s (Robinson & Pinson did), but even with those guys, I think I would have held out for something period.

I do have one I know is from the 1961 season as the Pinson bat is a 1961 World Series H&B.

Dave Grob

Impressive! Were H&B and Adirondack the only MLB approved makers at that time. Are most of your Reds H&B's?

On a side note, I have a 1961-63 Adirondack white letter Willie Mays. The bat is beautiful, Willie was at the height of his powers and he had a contract with Adirindack, thus it has a full, script signature....yet, block letter "MAYS" H&B's seem to bring more money :confused:

baseball tourist 05-08-2017 09:29 PM

'77 Jays

I have dabbled in the collection of a 1977 Toronto Blue Jays team bat set. Being its the first season makes it interesting to me and with a roster of non stars makes it somewhat affordable.

There are 21 position players and I have an Ernie Whitt, Jim Mason, Otto Velez, Dave McKay, Doug Ault, Steve Staggs and Al Woods. 14 to go.