Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Does anyone recognize this bat's logo? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=201687)

Kzoo 02-15-2015 12:07 PM

Does anyone recognize this bat's logo?

2 Attachment(s)
Guys..............I've had this 34.5", 40 oz. bat/club for over a year now and I've always wondered about the manufacturer. The stampings read... 'This Trade Mark ....., The Highest Quality, No. 100, The Standard for Excellence' and the image appears to be some sort of 'Gladiator' or something. The end of the barrel is squared off and there are remnants of a painted green ring, as well, which lead me to believe this bat may be late 19th century?? The bad news about the bat is that it was screwed to the wall of a local bar for many years and has 2 holes that need some restoration. I'm sure somebody here can identify this bat. Thanks for your help in advance.

Matt

Kzoo 02-05-2017 01:51 PM

2 yr. bump

It's been 2 years, anybody have an idea now on this logo? Thanks.....Matt

Huysmans 02-06-2017 05:40 AM

Hi Matt.
I'm just curious if you're interested in selling the bat?

Thanks!
Brent

billyb 02-06-2017 01:13 PM

Matt,
The University of Michigan State baseball team appears to go back into the 1880s, and that could be a logo of a Spartan. Have you thought about that avenue??

Butch7999 02-06-2017 04:47 PM

Wish we could help, Matt, but we have zero expertise on vintage bats. We were confident one of the bat collectors on board
would have recognized the manufacturer by now. Must be pretty obscure.
The logo certainly seems to be a maker's mark, not a team affiliation, but we agree with Bill that "Spartan" might be a candidate
as a trade name -- we did cursory (only cursory, mind you) on-line searches for "Spartan," "Gladiator," "Viking," "Trojan,"
"Warrior," and "Hercules" in conjunction with "baseball" and "bat," but came up empty on all counts. Deeper searches for those
or related terms might produce some results...

baseball tourist 02-06-2017 08:10 PM

Not much help but I found a Trojan Sporting Goods co bat on line:

http://i1166.photobucket.com/albums/...ps862d9lsm.jpg

billyb 02-07-2017 02:31 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Matt,
This is the best photo of an MSU baseball team, year is 1895. I do not know where this Green ring is on your bat, but these bats to have some sort of ring on them as well, and my guess is that they were green. Bat on far right has ring where the Logo would go. The bat on the right has a ring on the end, but a slose up shows it may have also had a ring by the Logo as well.
I am wondering if the MSU team had their own bats made, that is why the Spartan LOGO.
If you downlosd the photo, you can get a better look at the rings, but I could not get a good look at the logo.

Attachment 260594

murphusa 02-07-2017 04:40 AM

The US Patent and Trademark office has a search function so you can look it up

vintagesportscollector 02-07-2017 04:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by billyb (Post 1628222)
Matt,
This is the best photo of an MSU baseball team, year is 1895. I do not know where this Green ring is on your bat, but these bats to have some sort of ring on them as well, and my guess is that they were green. Bat on far right has ring where the Logo would go. The bat on the right has a ring on the end, but a slose up shows it may have also had a ring by the Logo as well.
I am wondering if the MSU team had their own bats made, that is why the Spartan LOGO.
If you downlosd the photo, you can get a better look at the rings, but I could not get a good look at the logo.

Attachment 260594

MSU were the "Aggies" in 1895. They were MAC or "The Agricultural College of the State of Michigan". They didn't change to the Spartan mascot until 1925.

Kzoo 02-07-2017 05:47 AM

Thanks....

Guys......Thanks for all the info, Chris, Bill, Butch, Jim and Joe. That trademark idea Jim suggested may lead somewhere. I'll do some digging. Thanks...........Matt

Mark 02-08-2017 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kzoo (Post 1628236)
Guys......Thanks for all the info, Chris, Bill, Butch, Jim and Joe. That trademark idea Jim suggested may lead somewhere. I'll do some digging. Thanks...........Matt

Please keep us posted.

khkco4bls 02-13-2017 06:11 AM

I don't get it you had one guy on here offering to possibly buy this bat. you asked for all help and info on it and then listed on eBay. how come not on the BST on this site