Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Cardtarget.com - General Discussion (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   "Grand Slam" The Name... (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=120108)

iggyman 01-27-2010 07:46 AM

"Grand Slam" The Name...

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say it, but the name "Grand Slam" for an auction site, which is going to be competing "mano-a-mano" (hand-to-hand) with the likes of eBay and Heritage, just doesn't sound right. I realized it worked for Denny's but to me, it gives an initial impression of minor league stuff; something that a couple of guys came up with after a few beers. If you google "Grand Slam Baseball," you will see how common a name that is for all sort's of baseball related stuff.

Disclaimer: Sure hope I haven't offended anyone with my silly critique. Although, I'm sure I have.......I can just see Matt's/Leon's eyes rolling up and down. Obviously, it's real easy for me to sit here in my cozy chair and complain about "this and that" and at the end of the day the site name is not going to determine whether it's a sucessful venture. You guys have done a yeoman's job and if I was the prez., you would definitely receive some sort-of "at-a-boy" medal. For in reality nothing is minor league about the site itself. You asked for opinion's/complaints and I'm giving you one (however, frivolous it might be).

That's it, hopefully this thread will have a quick death and disappear.

Lovely Day...

Leon 01-27-2010 08:05 AM

Iggy my man

Hey Iggy
Your thoughts are very important to us. We appreciate them. When thinking of a name, Matt and I spent more time on it than probably any other thing so far. Here is the situation. We needed a name that was familiar yet still had a url available for it. There are not too many that fit those to requisites. At the end of the day we decided on the name of Grandslambids as there was a Grandslambids.com available and folks would get an intstant idea it's a sports related site. This naming decision was extrememly important and we are very happy with the name. So far no one has had that "what the hell is that" expression on their face when we tell them the name....so we have that going for us :). Thanks again for the feedback. It's ALL good. best regards

iggyman 01-27-2010 08:19 AM

Got it, thanks Leon. Finding an open URL is no easy feat. As a baseball guy, the name "Grand Slam" is easy to remember. That is a big plus! However, my unconsious thoughts associate it with "Denny's, greasy eggs, and a heavy-set waitress named Big Bertha." I'm not sure that is so good but I will work on it.

Lovely Day...

Leon 01-27-2010 08:38 AM

hey

Quote:

Originally Posted by iggyman (Post 778250)
Got it, thanks Leon. Finding an open URL is no easy feat. As a baseball guy, the name "Grand Slam" is easy to remember. That is a big plus! However, my unconsious thoughts associate it with "Denny's, greasy eggs, and a heavy-set waitress named Big Bertha." I'm not sure that is so good but I will work on it.

Lovely Day...

Big Bertha looks pretty good at 2am and drunk!!