Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Who had a positive impact on your collection ? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=248316)

orly57 08-03-2018 02:39 PM

Come on Jim, you are only 78. You have 20 more left in you easy.

cubman1941 08-03-2018 03:34 PM

Rog that but by then I will have forgotten why I have all this stuff!!

Baseballcrazy62 11-17-2018 04:20 AM

We lost a great collector this week. My Dad passed away on Tuesday 3 months after his 95th birthday. He was a huge Detroit Tiger collector especially Al Kaline. He was a WW ll vet and a great American. I loved our trips to the National Convention and his last one was in Chicago in 2017. I took him to the Net 54 reception in his wheelchair and he had a blast meeting some of the members. He collected right up to the very end as we sat on his bed and looked at cards on the day before he passed. What a great hobby we have that brings a bond between a dad and his two sons. Godspeed Dad, going to the National next year wont be the same. So if you see a 57 year old guy walking around the National with tears in his eyes please stop and introduce yourself. Thanks!

cubman1941 11-17-2018 05:23 AM

So sorry to hear about your dad but, pleasant memories are there, and that is important.

Leon 11-17-2018 07:12 AM

So sorry for your loss. While there is bitter pain in losing your Dad I am absolutely sure you know how lucky you are to have had him with you so long and him be such a great influence in your life. And that he got some joy from attending a Net54 dinner makes me happy too. And if you were here right now you would see another 57 yrs old guy shed a tear for your dad. May he rest in peace and happy collecting.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baseballcrazy62 (Post 1827596)
We lost a great collector this week. My Dad passed away on Tuesday 3 months after his 95th birthday. He was a huge Detroit Tiger collector especially Al Kaline. He was a WW ll vet and a great American. I loved our trips to the National Convention and his last one was in Chicago in 2017. I took him to the Net 54 reception in his wheelchair and he had a blast meeting some of the members. He collected right up to the very end as we sat on his bed and looked at cards on the day before he passed. What a great hobby we have that brings a bond between a dad and his two sons. Godspeed Dad, going to the National next year wont be the same. So if you see a 57 year old guy walking around the National with tears in his eyes please stop and introduce yourself. Thanks!

irv 11-17-2018 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baseballcrazy62 (Post 1827596)

Sorry to hear about your loss, Mike.

Your Father sounds like he was a great man!

JollyElm 11-17-2018 10:10 PM

Hey Mike,
I am really sorry. I hope you feel truly blessed and thankful that your dad lived to be 95, which means you got to spend a great deal more time with him than many, if not all, of us got to spend with our own fathers. That is really a huge gift.
Hang in there.

--elm

Baseballcrazy62 04-24-2019 12:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 350957I bought a lot in a recent auction that had a number of older hobby magazines etc. I was going through the box and almost fell out of my chair. My Dad is on the front of the Sport Hobbyist magazine from 1975 along with Gates Brown. I remember going to that show and getting Gates autograph. My Dad passed away last November and I will tell you that photo brought back a ton of great memories and a few tears as well. Four days after that box of magazines arrived I lost my second biggest supporter of my collection as my Mom passed away on April 13th. I can’t thank them enough for all of the encouragement they provided in my collecting pursuits.

Powell 04-24-2019 01:39 PM

Bill Latzko for sure!

Baseballcrazy62 12-01-2020 04:09 PM

There hasn’t been a post here in awhile so I thought I would revive it. Major influences from some of the “ hobby pioneers “. Earlier this year I won a lot of 138 different (1970-1983) Trader Speaks magazines from REA. I previously had read those magazines as a young collector along with SCD and after hauling them all over the country decided to throw them all away in the trash in the early 90’s. In the batch from REA there were a number of the issues that were addressed to Lionel Carter and John Stommen that must have come from their personal collection. For whatever reason I have been buying up older hobby publications and having a blast reading through them. Also, a big shout out to Dan Dischley for keeping the Trader Speaks running as long as he did and Leon for keeping this forum moving forward!! Who are your big influences in the hobby?