Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   T206 Scrapbook on Ebay (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=136365)

dstraate 05-01-2011 11:51 AM

T206 Scrapbook on Ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/T206-BASEBALL-CA...item2a10296c87

Funny how even though he knows nothing about cards, it's all he's been selling for the last week or so, and he manages to mention Wagner, Doyle, Magee, etc.

Also funny how the old turn of the century guy took time to trim down the sides to a near normal look.

Bidding is up to 2.2K Who's sniping?

caramelcard 05-01-2011 12:23 PM

Hadn't spotted this yet. A lot of desirable cards in there...trimmed or not.

Seller's feedback looks bad, but the book looks good...real good.

Rob

Rob D. 05-01-2011 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caramelcard (Post 890838)
Hadn't spotted this yet. A lot of desirable cards in there...trimmed or not.

Seller's feedback looks bad, but the book looks good...real good.

It's worth a LOT more than 2.2k.

Rob

I missed this one, too. Not sure how. Cool scrapbook.

Matt 05-01-2011 12:36 PM

I'm having a hard time seeing any card not trimmed. It's almost like the guy had OCD and had to trim every single cards - cut off the borders or clip the corners - even when the card would have fit fine without it.

joeadcock 05-01-2011 12:39 PM

Agreed. Cool scrapbook.
Bunch of Mono's, Wagner's and Cobbs. And a Weaver. And a few others.

Quite a scrapbook. Love to run into one at a garage sale sometime.

iwantitiwinit 05-01-2011 02:04 PM

Seems sketchy. Not for me.

rhettyeakley 05-01-2011 02:17 PM

Neat item, but what an awesome collection that was before they let Junior play with scissors! Looks like there are quite a number of "homemade" cards mixed in, but it is a strange mix of cards from Obaks, Zeenuts, Mono's all the way to T206, E90-1/2, and M101-4/5. Even at that price it's only a few bucks a card but that sure would have been killer to find them before they were dessimated to get them int the album.

barrysloate 05-01-2011 02:21 PM

In the third photo there's a card between Purtell and Smith that I don't recognize. Is it a T217? But trimmed or not, that's a big time album.

bbcard1 05-01-2011 02:41 PM

hard to tell, but I'll bet they may also be skinned. That wouldn't be logical, as the process normally happens as the cards come OUT of an album, but they look really flat. Even at a few bucks a card, I won't be playing.

Mikehealer 05-01-2011 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barrysloate (Post 890875)
In the third photo there's a card between Purtell and Smith that I don't recognize. Is it a T217? But trimmed or not, that's a big time album.

Cicotte is written underneath the card and looks like the same pose as his Boston Store etc. not sure what it is though.

ChrisGalbreath 05-01-2011 03:39 PM

Just a heads up... This is the same seller that offered up some questionable awards that were discussed on the memorabilia side.

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthr...ruth+mvp+award

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthr...t=Gehrig+award

For what it's worth...

Epps 05-01-2011 03:50 PM

I was also looking at that Cicotte card. Not really sure what it is but it looks cool. He also has 2 Obak Weavers and a Gandil.

fkw 05-01-2011 04:07 PM

Some rare cards in there, T217s etc. I also agree that many looked skinned as they are to thin looking on the page to me.

The seller lost Z$$ by only mentioning the common and almost worthless low value T206's he should have researched it more and included T217, E99, T212-1 etc. in the listing.

iwantitiwinit 05-01-2011 04:27 PM

I smell pictures of cards that are glued into a scrapbook that has been made to look old.

slidekellyslide 05-01-2011 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iwantitiwinit (Post 890910)
I smell pictures of cards that are glued into a scrapbook that has been made to look old.

Me too...this seller is a known scammer.

sbfinley 05-01-2011 04:51 PM

Sellers states that you can pick up in Nashville and lists his hometown as Hendersonville. I live in Hendersonville. If there is anyone worried about bidding I'll email the seller to see if I can meet him in a public place to check the album out.

sbfinley 05-01-2011 05:07 PM

Emailed seller. Directed him to this site and asked to see if I could give the scrapbook a once over in a public place.

barrysloate 05-01-2011 05:28 PM

Thanks Mike. I believe the cards are real but the condition of them is abysmal.

rp12367 05-01-2011 05:38 PM

I agree most look way to thin, also it looks like there is a lot of gloss to the cards, as you can see with the flash glare.

Exhibitman 05-01-2011 05:48 PM

"I THINK SOME ARE DOVER"

Nuf ced!

slidekellyslide 05-01-2011 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exhibitman (Post 890944)
"I THINK SOME ARE DOVER"

Nuf ced!

Yep!

Tsaiko 05-01-2011 06:03 PM

I Don't Buy It

I started to respond to this thread this morning, but had to leave for the afternoon.

I was going to list all the reasons why this isn't real and I feel it's fairly obvious. I copied my post before I deleted it, just for reflection later.

I am quite shocked that so many people believe this is real. People that know more than I do, people that I have learned from.

Since this seller has been invited here to comment, I'm going to hold back on my "observations" until they have their say.

I think there may be one area where I have more experience than you astute collectors.

teetwoohsix 05-01-2011 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt (Post 890842)
I'm having a hard time seeing any card not trimmed. It's almost like the guy had OCD and had to trim every single cards - cut off the borders or clip the corners - even when the card would have fit fine without it.

I was trying to look closely, and where it appears that the corners are cut off, there are actually "homemade" slits in the album pages that the corners of the cards are tucked into. At least that is how it looks to me.......you can see on some of the PCL cards where it looks "raised" where the corners are.

*Edit to add* I'll use the word cards lightly...as others have mentioned, they look very thin, and it's too odd that most of the T206's have the wording at the bottom cut off,,,amongst other things :rolleyes:

T206DK 05-01-2011 09:57 PM

yes it makes perfect sense for someone to sell a massive album of rare cards from somone directly involved with MLB on Ebay for a fraction of it's real value. what a swell seller

fkw 05-01-2011 11:41 PM

Im surprised at how many of you think these ARE NOT Authentic...

The wear alone should prove theyre all authentic, let alone that 75% of the cards pictured have never been reprinted. ie the Zeenuts (1911-17), D310, T212-1, T212-2, T212-3, T217, E90-2, E99, E100, etc., and the only cards that have been reprint (T206), easily pass as authentic.

The camera glare on some cards is because those cards have a glossy surface, ie the M101-4/5, T212-2, T212-3, etc.

Only a handful of the cards would have any value if removed, ie the 3 Wagners, 3 Weavers, 3 Cobbs, the E90-2, T217, some of the T212-1s, and maybe a couple of the Youngs and Mathewsons... the rest are $3-$10 cards at best. These cards lost 99.5% of their value when Junior used the scissors on them, not the glue.

ullmandds 05-02-2011 12:09 AM

Gotta agree w/Frank...these cards are definitely real...just in terrible shape. This and the fact that the seller has bad feedback will prevent me from interest in this lot. Lots of interesting looking cards in there, though...some of which I've never seen before.

Cat 05-02-2011 12:20 AM

Well.......

Well, those of us that were interested in bidding would prefer that momentum swayed against the belief that they are authentic.

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/5uecapxuY-k" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

T206DK 05-02-2011 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fkw (Post 891027)
Im surprised at how many of you think these ARE NOT Authentic...

The wear alone should prove theyre all authentic, let alone that 75% of the cards pictured have never been reprinted. ie the Zeenuts (1911-17), D310, T212-1, T212-2, T212-3, T217, E90-2, E99, E100, etc., and the only cards that have been reprint (T206), easily pass as authentic.

The camera glare on some cards is because those cards have a glossy surface, ie the M101-4/5, T212-2, T212-3, etc.

Only a handful of the cards would have any value if removed, ie the 3 Wagners, 3 Weavers, 3 Cobbs, the E90-2, T217, some of the T212-1s, and maybe a couple of the Youngs and Mathewsons... the rest are $3-$10 cards at best. These cards lost 99.5% of their value when Junior used the scissors on them, not the glue.

there was a seller in Florida in 2007 that made great looking Obak reprints on thicker card stock. He sold tons of them to unsuspecting collectors. The Cesar's Creek flea market where I live has sellers that have reprints of just about everything you can imagine. I have seen the Zeenut Weaver card reprinted and I also bought one of the green background cards that shows Weaver with his team the San Francisco seals ( I can't remember the ACC designation maybe E100). this was hand made from some guys printer no doubt, but it was cool looking at the time, and I knew I would never be able to buy a real version of that card. So yes, though many of these cards have not been "officially" reprinted, there are still home made versions that some will make to look old and try to sell.
Remember that old Brady Bunch episode ...."Caveat emptor" :)

DICKTOWLE 05-02-2011 10:39 AM

T206 scrapbook

item has been removed??

rp12367 05-02-2011 11:13 AM

Scrapbook

Dick, Book is still up on e-bay. This would be right up your alley, LOL... TTYS Old Friend Ralph

scottglevy 05-02-2011 12:08 PM

Steve,

Thanks for offering the seller the opportunity to meet you live! I guess that I have the following thoughts on the matter.

I can't really tell whether the cards are real or not - although they do seem skinned at a minimum. If the seller is willing to be allow a knowledgeable person to inspect the book in person....then I would be much more willing to bid - provided that the inspector believes they are real.

If not, then that's cool - it's the seller's choice but I will not bid in that instance and I suppose that many others would not as well.

-S

danmckee 05-02-2011 12:18 PM

Why now? Is it your auction? Why this why now?? I guess i won't be able to win it now. So much for me bidding.

I thought there was a board rule not to out auctions here?

I guess that only applies to me.

Leon 05-02-2011 12:30 PM

Dan my friend

Quote:

Originally Posted by danmckee (Post 891134)
Why now? Is it your auction? Why this why now?? I guess i won't be able to win it now. So much for me bidding.

I thought there was a board rule not to out auctions here?

I guess that only applies to me.

Dan- there is no rule and has never been a rule against outing auctions, at least in the last 7 yrs or so, and I don't know about before that.

Most members and myself hope they don't get outed but there just can't be a rule against it. Believe me, there have been a few times in the past when I was just sick about something being outed especially as it was in a different category and I wanted to bid badly. I got outbid on that item but the rule remains the same as it has always been. There is no rule against it. Never was and never will be. We have had several discussions about it on the board. Hope this explains that part of it. regards

slidekellyslide 05-02-2011 01:29 PM

Does nobody seem alarmed that this seller wrote the word "Dover" in his auction description? That he found Babe Ruth and Lou Gehrig's MVP awards in an antique shop two months ago? The fact that all of these cards appear too thin?

Leon 05-02-2011 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slidekellyslide (Post 891147)
Does nobody seem alarmed that this seller wrote the word "Dover" in his auction description?

I thought it was Babe Dover Ruth and Lou Dover Gehrig, no?

LanceRoten 05-02-2011 01:39 PM

Matt Foley!!! Had a friend post that Matt Foley Yapper clip on my Facebook page. Pretty sure they were trying tell me something...:D:D:D

ullmandds 05-02-2011 01:46 PM

The fact that the seller said "dover" in the description is of concern to me.

I wouldn't be a bidder on such an item regardless but I am very curious about this book as there appear to be a bunch of cards...kinda muted in color...some with borders that I've never seen before?!

Some of the names are also incorrect...ie. Jackson for Buster Brown I believe...e90-1.

The combination of period articles and the sheer variety of cards along with the time it must have taken to create this book leads me to conclude it is most likely authentic.

But personally I have little interest in butchered cards such as these...

Leon 05-02-2011 01:56 PM

could be...

The book could easily be a mix of reprints and real cards. It's not like we haven't seen that scenario a dozen times. regards

barrysloate 05-02-2011 02:39 PM

The album looks old, so perhaps somebody added some Dover reprints to the genuine cards that were already pasted in. Most of the cards look dead on original, then there are others that don't even look like cards at all. It might be a mix of real and fake.

wonkaticket 05-02-2011 02:55 PM

The seller emailed me and sent a photo/card of the orginal owner of the scrap book who was involved in baseball...the owner is still alive and somewhere in the NY area.:)

http://photos.imageevent.com/piojohn...o%20sloate.jpg

joeadcock 05-02-2011 03:17 PM

Wow. A new Mayo

barrysloate 05-02-2011 03:27 PM

Now that Mayo is an absolute fake!

T205Guy 05-02-2011 06:38 PM

Some of the cards look real and some don't - but the DESCRIPTION is very SCARY!

HRBAKER 05-02-2011 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wonkaticket (Post 891165)
The seller emailed me and sent a photo/card of the orginal owner of the scrap book who was involved in baseball...the owner is still alive and somewhere in the NY area.:)

http://photos.imageevent.com/piojohn...o%20sloate.jpg

Sloate? Wasn't he a reliever best known for correcting his teammate's spelling errors?

sbfinley 05-02-2011 10:03 PM

No word from the guy yet. I doubt he will email me back. Worth a shot though. Best of luck to those daring enough to bid.

judsonhamlin 05-04-2011 03:45 PM

Well, with 20 hours left, this is at 3100. It does look like a great deal of work went into this, but I fear someone is going to get burned when the only real cards turn out to be the T206 beaters. The first thing that bothers me is the pencil captioning. If these are players of "yore" or "yesteryear", that implies that the T212's. T206's, etc were old when the album was put together. That doesn't mesh with the purported age of the album itself. Those down home sentiments are also pretty funny when talking about the Cardinals - yeah, the doorstops of the 1900's NL were much better than the Gashouse Gang or Musial, Slaughter, Gibson, Brock, etc...
It is also convenient that despite all the apparent use this album has seen, only one card has separated from the page - a beater Sweet Cap T206. Not one rare card/HOFer has come loose. Glue technology must have been something back in the the day (of yore).
My guess is that this was put together by someone who was carefully trying to reproduce what he felt a collection of cards would have looked like circa 1910-15, HOF players and all, but was smart enough not to put a T206 Wagner in this mix. I also am amused by the question posted about the calue of the Mono cards. If I am correct, referencing the other sets in the question will trigger a hit on a Title and Description search. How about that- wow, what a thoughtful question. Thanks.
I think the seller has a previously unknown Vermeer for auction also :)

jimq 05-05-2011 04:56 AM

In one of the pictures there are some cleveland players and above them it is written "Cleveland's Indians never won a ... but Addie Joss kept them up there"

Tells me that it was put together much later and the story about the owner being involved in baseball is crap.

Joss died in 1911 and the Naps weren't renamed the Indians until 1915 when Lajoie went back to Philadelphia.

Anybody that involved in baseball and baseball card collecting would have known that.

ullmandds 05-05-2011 07:07 AM

I'm beginning to think you guys may be right...that this is a modern day concoction of xerox copies with a few commons thrown in...I'm sure paypal will save the day on this one!

T206Collector 05-05-2011 07:55 AM

Really Real

I'll go on record as saying that the book is legitimate.

The cards don't look too thin to me.

The seller recently sold an interesting signed Bender item:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=180642521529

The bad feedback appears to be mostly communication/shipping problems.

The seller is also selling a signed Cy Young ball, that has been GAI authenticated:

http://cgi.ebay.com/SINGLE-SIGNED-RA...item2a1054a517

If you look in the picture of the Young ball, you'll see an auction description about how this came from the collection of some dude who put it together in the 1920s or 1930s. The scrapbook was probably put together around that time -- obviously a lot of wear and tear to those cards before they were put into the scrapbook.

Neat old book. Would love to have it. But wouldn't pay more than $1,000 for it....

T206DK 05-05-2011 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ullmandds (Post 891729)
I'm beginning to think you guys may be right...that this is a modern day concoction of xerox copies with a few commons thrown in...I'm sure paypal will save the day on this one!

like I said in a prior post. I see these types of "albums" all the time at the flea markets and antique stores in southern ohio. The posting of the question by an anonymous ebayer was hilarious. I like the "threat" of cancelling your bids at the bottom of the page. I'm still waiting for a bidder with low or private feedback to start really bidding this item up tonight. I'm sure this seller has all his friends and relatives that shill for him ready to roll . As for PAYPAL saving the day....I hope so, but a new trick by unscrupulous sellers is to set up several bank accounts with PAYPAL. they simply cancel the account immediately after the high dollar fraudulaent auction ends and switch over to a new PAYPAL/bank account and new Ebay name. I know sellers that have tables at the saturday monthly shows in Dayton and Cincy that have more than 5 Ebay accounts that they use to buy and sell from. their wives and sons and daughters also have multiple accpunts that they can use too. It's pretty sad, but it is happening everyday on ebay folks and they cannot really police it.