Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   SGC Mea Culpa (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=345829)

parkplace33 02-01-2024 07:38 PM

SGC Mea Culpa

1 Attachment(s)
Interesting post from SGC today:

On Tuesday 1/30/24, SGC posted a 2003-04 Lebron James Exquisite Rookie Patch Auto that was recently graded a Mint 9 with a 10 auto. Shortly after posting the card, information was presented to our team alleging that the patch embedded in the card had been altered. Our team immediately began investigating and confirmed that an alteration had taken place. We acted swiftly and contacted the appropriate parties to address the situation. A satisfactory resolution was reached with the submitter of the card, and the card now resides in an Authentic Altered holder that is pictured here.

We take issues like this one extremely seriously, and take full ownership of this unacceptable error. We recognize the impact that SGC has on the trading card community, and we do not take the trust that you put in us lightly.

You all know us well enough by now to understand how much we love our supporters and the hobby as a whole. We take immense pride in what we do and no one appreciates the responsibility of safeguarding the hobby more than we do. While this will be a difficult one for our team to move past, we take solace in the fact that this card has now been assessed accurately, and will no longer mislead the collecting community.

Casey2296 02-01-2024 07:52 PM

Solid statement, I would like to see more examples of these types of decisions from all TPGs. Props to SGC.

scooter729 02-01-2024 08:15 PM

I don't know enough about issues like this, but if you have a rare valuable signed LeBron rookie card like this, why would you alter the patch?

Is there a certain type of patch that is more valuable than a different patch? Just trying to understand why this would be altered? Help out a guy stuck in the tobacco era!

CardPadre 02-01-2024 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scooter729 (Post 2409759)
I don't know enough about issues like this, but if you have a rare valuable signed LeBron rookie card like this, why would you alter the patch?

Is there a certain type of patch that is more valuable than a different patch? Just trying to understand why this would be altered? Help out a guy stuck in the tobacco era!

I think it had a single color black patch originally. Having a multi-color patch is more $$$

bnorth 02-01-2024 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scooter729 (Post 2409759)

Have no idea on this card. For patches in general. People will change out a simple one color patch for one with multiple colors. The cool multi color patch will sell for more than a simple one color patch.

Johnny630 02-01-2024 08:41 PM

If I were SGC and I received this card honestly myself, I would never admit this about my company, but I would have to take this into account. I know in my heart that this card will sell for a fraction in a high grade, as compared to what it would sell for in a high grade with PSA or Beckett. Honestly, that’s what I feel they needed to say to themselves before grading this to scrutinize the hell out of it because modern Cards, like this do not sell well at all in SGC holders.

I do applaud SGC for coming public with this and making it right with the customer.

Peter_Spaeth 02-01-2024 10:05 PM

There are millions of altered cards in TPG slabs. Occasionally owning up to one mistake is a drop in an ocean.

vthobby 02-01-2024 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 2409772)
There are millions of altered cards in TPG slabs. Occasionally owning up to one mistake is a drop in an ocean.

TPG = PSA

:cool:

ClementeFanOh 02-02-2024 03:26 AM

Sgc

Johnny630- you've completely missed the point. The point is that SGC was
NOT interested in "how well the card would sell" in their holder. Instead,
they were properly interested in atoning for a mistake. I am amazed by
people who continually moan about grading companies and their urge to
one up one another, who then make comments like yours in a public forum.
I gave up on PSA long ago, but SGC comparatively seems to have the best
interest of their consumers in mind on a more consistent basis. Rather than
point to one example of SGC giving a grade you don't like, how about a
coherent explanation of what they are supposed to do, that would somehow
satisfy you? Or is that dreaming an impossible dream? Geesh.

Trent King

Gorditadogg 02-02-2024 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CardPadre (Post 2409760)
I think it had a single color black patch originally. Having a multi-color patch is more $$$

If the patch was switched out, how can they still call the card authentic? How would SGC know where the replacement patch came from? Was it swapped for a different LeBron jersey patch?

Even if they confirmed that's the case, it seems to me it's now a zombie card. I am surprised they graded it.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

butchie_t 02-02-2024 08:25 AM

It is a bit puzzling to me that the card went through all the hoops initially and got the initial grades. Then they are notified of some malfeasance and they do a mulligan and find the alterations. If it was obvious the second review, why was it not just as obvious during the first evaluation?

How come that did not get caught in the first place?

Asking for a friend.

Butch Turner....

CardPadre 02-02-2024 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by butchie_t (Post 2409811)
It is a bit puzzling to me that the card went through all the hoops initially and got the initial grades. Then they are notified of some malfeasance and they do a mulligan and find the alterations. If it was obvious the second review, why was it not just as obvious during the first evaluation?

How come that did not get caught in the first place?

Asking for a friend.

Butch Turner....

I think they were presented with photographic evidence that this exact card had a different patch previously. So wasn’t that they reinspected it and found shenanigans. I don’t know how people are swapping patches without leaving damage or evidence, but apparently it is incredibly common.

Peter_Spaeth 02-02-2024 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vthobby (Post 2409778)
TPG = PSA

:cool:

LOL, but no, it's true of the others too.

robw1959 02-02-2024 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 2409822)
LOL, but no, it's true of the others too.

But in all fairness to a much lesser extent, I think.

Peter_Spaeth 02-02-2024 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robw1959 (Post 2409855)
But in all fairness to a much lesser extent, I think.

PSA has graded countless more cards, so of course.

bnorth 02-02-2024 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 2409893)
PSA has graded countless more cards, so of course.

True, I am also sure they have a way higher percentage of "bad" grades than the others from my personal experience.

Exhibitman 02-03-2024 07:50 AM

My takeaway is that shiny cards suck.