Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present) (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Bowman Chrome... What's the deal? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=279377)

AstroJake09 02-15-2020 04:33 PM

Bowman Chrome... What's the deal?

1 Attachment(s)
Hi all,

After researching to see what Joe Mauer's best card is, it seems the vedict goes to his 2002 Bowman Chrome Autographed card. What would make this card so much more popular than others from that time such as his Bowman's Best Auto or even 2002 Upper Deck auto? Also, he had other cards issued before this while still in the Appy League. Is it because it is his first card to feature an MLB logo or be affiliated with the Majors even though he was still in the minors? I agree with the appeal and the card looks great. Just curious why this card is so huge for Mauer fans and in general for Bowman Chrome.

swarmee 02-16-2020 09:33 AM

MLB logo: yes
Attractive: yes
On card auto: yes
Consistently the best product year in and year out: yes

1st Bowman Chrome auto is effectively the Topps RC of the past.

AstroJake09 02-16-2020 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swarmee (Post 1955605)
MLB logo: yes
Attractive: yes
On card auto: yes
Consistently the best product year in and year out: yes

1st Bowman Chrome auto is effectively the Topps RC of the past.

Thanks for the response. So I take it its based on the early reputation Bowman established and being known for putting out a lot of "first" cards of guys. Always liked this card of Joe. So this is considered THE rookie card for Joe?

Thanks again

AstroJake09 02-17-2020 06:06 PM

Also wondering how many base autos there are each year for a Bowman Chrome Auto.

Thanks!

packs 02-18-2020 08:24 AM

I'm a much bigger fan of the Heritage rookie auto. Bowman doesn't usually pick a great image for their first issue cards.

swarmee 02-18-2020 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AstroJake09 (Post 1955989)
Also wondering how many base autos there are each year for a Bowman Chrome Auto.

Based on the ratio of base to refractor autos (which are usually around 500), I'd say around 2,500 base chrome autos in draft. Not sure if the Chrome Autos in base Bowman or the autos in Bowman Chrome follow suit.

jbhofmann 02-18-2020 09:12 AM

2001 Pujols Bowman Chrome AU led the way for this issue to be THE card for much of the 2000s.

AstroJake09 02-18-2020 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swarmee (Post 1956111)
Based on the ratio of base to refractor autos (which are usually around 500), I'd say around 2,500 base chrome autos in draft. Not sure if the Chrome Autos in base Bowman or the autos in Bowman Chrome follow suit.

Not a huge amount then. The number doesn't make the card or break it for me, just curious as to the print run. For me, I don't really differentiate between the base and paralells. A signed Joe Mauer rookie card is good enough for me. I feel that the base will hold value and is a more accesible card than a refractor or gold. That's just me though.

AstroJake09 02-18-2020 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbhofmann (Post 1956119)
2001 Pujols Bowman Chrome AU led the way for this issue to be THE card for much of the 2000s.

I noticed that his card commands big prices. I love Mauer but, Albert is in a different ballpark when comparing stardom.

AstroJake09 02-18-2020 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by packs (Post 1956109)
I'm a much bigger fan of the Heritage rookie auto. Bowman doesn't usually pick a great image for their first issue cards.

Can see that argument on some of them. I think the photo they used for Mauer is pretty good. I talked with the gentleman that took the photo the other day and he told me some details behind it. Pretty neat.

jbhofmann 02-18-2020 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AstroJake09 (Post 1956274)
I noticed that his card commands big prices. I love Mauer but, Albert is in a different ballpark when comparing stardom.

You should see what prospect’s Bowman Chrome autos go for that have never played a game! Wander Franco for example.

After Trout’s Bowman Chrome Autos became unattainable due to price, collectors turned to his 2011 Update and ever since the flagship RC (lesser extent Heritage) of players have really taken off again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk