Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Opinion on Grading for Dietsche Cobb (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=347762)

loubrown 03-26-2024 10:50 AM

Opinion on Grading for Dietsche Cobb

We just picked up a Dietsche Cobb that should grade around a 3. I'm assuming grading will cost $499 through PSA and $85 through SGC. Do we get more than that difference by much in a PSA holder?

Al C.risafulli 03-26-2024 10:59 AM

Yes.

-Al

packs 03-26-2024 11:04 AM

If I were you I would consign it and let an auction house get it graded. Sounds like the motivation for grading is resale anyway. Let the middle man deal with it.

jcmtiger 03-26-2024 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by packs (Post 2422435)
If I were you I would consign it and let an auction house get it graded. Sounds like the motivation for grading is resale anyway. Let the middle man deal with it.

Yes. For sure.

Vintagedeputy 03-26-2024 11:35 AM

I’d go SGC all the way.

loubrown 03-26-2024 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by packs (Post 2422435)

Thanks for the suggestion. We are actually a PSA submission center so we send cards to PSA weekly anyway. And we are not utilizing an auction house to sell the Cobb (it's actually a group of 13 incl Jennings and Crawford) and will likely be putting it up on our website, in our shop and on eBay. Our selling fees are significantly less than the BP would be. Always a challenge to figure out if an auction house makes sense but in this instance for us, I think we can get a similar final price and not need to wait for so long.

ullmandds 03-26-2024 11:51 AM

Which cobb is the question?

loubrown 03-26-2024 05:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by ullmandds (Post 2422448)
Which cobb is the question?

Batting.

calvindog 03-26-2024 06:30 PM

A card like that isn't exactly hot for the registry. I'd put it in an SGC holder. It looks better and is much cheaper to grade.

If it was a card that would find its way into a registry set, different story. But this isn't the one. As someone who collects Cobb extensively, there are very few of his cards that I would think a PSA slab would make a difference: T206, Cracker Jack for sure. But certainly not a Dietsche PC.

loubrown 03-26-2024 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by calvindog (Post 2422550)
A card like that isn't exactly hot for the registry. I'd put it in an SGC holder. It looks better and is much cheaper to grade.

If it was a card that would find its way into a registry set, different story. But this isn't the one. As someone who collects Cobb extensively, there are very few of his cards that I would think a PSA slab would make a difference: T206, Cracker Jack for sure. But certainly not a Dietsche PC.

I agree it looks way better in an SGC holder. Thanks for the input.