Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Collecting Software (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=133536)

Railroad Bill 02-20-2011 12:25 PM

Collecting Software

Does anyone use any type of card collecting software?

Is it worth the cost?

steve B 02-20-2011 02:49 PM

I make checklists using Excel. Not really hobby software, and not optimal, but For me the cost was negligible.

Pluses
--------
I don't have to keep searching for the bits of my old system - Little notebooks and scraps of papaer all of which got lost or didn't get updated.

I can if I want do the math and figure out how close I am to completing a set automatically.

It's right on the computer while I'm looking at Ebay or BST

Minuses
--------
The way I have it set up is not especially good for variations.

I'd have to print a hard copy to take to a show. Not a big deal, but for an opportunistic collector like myself it doesn't work as well.

Of course I could put the whole group on a laptop or maybe a tablet thing, I'm juust not there yet

Steve B

Robextend 02-20-2011 03:44 PM

Steve, I do the exact same thing you do. Works fine for me.

Abravefan11 02-20-2011 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve B (Post 872736)
Minuses
--------
The way I have it set up is not especially good for variations.

I'd have to print a hard copy to take to a show. Not a big deal, but for an opportunistic collector like myself it doesn't work as well.

Of course I could put the whole group on a laptop or maybe a tablet thing, I'm juust not there yet

Steve B

Steve,

If you have a smartphone you can upload your spreadsheets to Google documents on your comuter and then access them from your phone at a show. It's free and works for your documents like Picasa, Image Event, or other programs do for your photos.

steve B 02-20-2011 05:06 PM

That's a good idea. Maybe my next phone will be a fancy one.

But I've got enough trouble running the one I have now which is very basic.
Strange for sure, I fix complex machanical stuff. And can make some of it.

But remembering how to make the phone do much beyond making calls is a challenge.

Steve B

BobbyVCP 02-20-2011 07:59 PM

You can create a My Collection on VCP for free and be able to print it out and everything. And when you are in the mood can always for $3.99 find out the current values.

smtjoy 02-20-2011 08:19 PM

I use VCP for my collection, works great. I have almost 2000 cards entered in over 20 sub groups and love that I can export my collection into excel, I know the current value based on last sale or average as well as how much I have into every card, set and collection. I also enter some raw cards and just note they are raw in the notes. I used to do it all myself in excel and that worked great but as my collection grew it just didnt cut it for me.

mets41 02-21-2011 12:07 AM

I know how to write programs so I use a combination of excel and programs I wrote myself (this allows me to customize things the way I want to do things).

Griffins 02-21-2011 12:43 AM

used to use spreadsheets, now I just use vcp for that. Fast and easy and always accessible anywhere.