Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Light pencil markings on the blank backs of postcard size items (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=332669)

abothebear 03-08-2023 06:49 PM

Light pencil markings on the blank backs of postcard size items

Maybe I'm wrong about this, but it seems to me to be somewhat common to find light pencil markings on the back of larger (postcard-size) items. Sometimes they are the workings of postcard dealers, giving details about the item and the price. But often they are little marks about the player, what team he played for, what position he played, etc. I know that each collector has their own particular taste about these kinds of things, but what would you say the GENERAL feeling is about these marks? Generally, do people care if their otherwise sharp-looking National Chicle Pepper Martin has a "3b / of" in pencil on the back? Or if their Gold Medal Foods Firpo Marberry has "1934 Tigers $3.00" on it? I care a little bit in that I'd rather it not be there than be there. And I care a tick more than a little bit if I am collecting a set and the backs don't match. But for singles, it doesn't bother me that much. For some reason, pencil marks on a blank back aren't the same as pencil marks on a card with something printed on the back. I guess because you aren't meant to look at a blank back. But if there is printing on the back, then the idea is that someone might be interested in looking. And a pencil mark there seems like a defacement, whereas on a blank back, it is bonus material.

x2drich2000 03-08-2023 10:33 PM

I think most collectors, don't care for the little tick marks. For me personally, I would much rather have either a clean back on regular oversized items, or on postcards, a time period written note, stamp, and mailing info. The little tick marks seem out of place where as the postally used postcards tell a story and is what they were designed for.

Lucas00 03-08-2023 11:33 PM

Light pencil markings on the blank backs of postcard size items

I had a very small and light dealer price on one of the back corners of my most prized pc.

Took it right off with an art gum eraser. Postcard backs were meant to be filled out and that entails erasing misspellings and accidental marks. Obviously erasing a whole filled out back isn’t meant to be done and shouldn’t be. But dealer price marks can go pound sand, they accidentally ruin the postcard in my book.

Some members will call that alteration (it’s obvious not). The back of a postcard is completely fine to erase stray marks and dealer prices. Stats or info about the player I personally would let that be. I like the idea of thinking about a kid, or adult for that matter writing about their favorite player.
But if lightly written and out of place/obviously wasn’t originally supposed to be part of the senders message, I would say it’s fine to remove stats/basic info if you desire. But I would never do it.

Btw, Sent my pc to sgc after and had zero issues.

brianp-beme 03-09-2023 01:32 AM

10 Attachment(s)
Blank back cards are a blank canvas, whether they be large or small. I actually prefer something to be scribbled there...otherwise the blank back is pretty darn boring. Cards with something printed on the back I usually prefer without extra markings, but I make exceptions, check that, constant exceptions for my collection.

Brian (I guess that makes me an exceptional collector)

steve B 03-09-2023 08:12 AM

I'm ok with marks and dealer pricing, and other things.

That may be because they're accepted in other collecting areas. And in some cases are important enough to attract a small premium.

In stamps, especially ones from europe, the expertizers who fill sort of the same function as TPG but don't do grades, would stamp their name or symbol on the back, and often extra info like an opinion of what shade it is. (which can make a difference of anywhere from a few cents to thousands of dollars)
The collecting culture in Europe not only expects but demands these marks on anything expensive and in a general sense often even on inexpensive items.
In the US this hasn't been the practice, the preference has been for a certificate with an attached photograph (really old ones don't have a photo)

Likewise, many of the famous collectors marked their best items or in some cases many items with owners marks. I would like to get something from some of the most famous, and have stumbled into a couple including one from FDRs collection.

Jim65 03-09-2023 09:43 AM

Some postcards have the player name, team and/or year written by the photographer. I don't know any collectors who object to that. I prefer it, some postcards would be impossible to tell otherwise.

Leon 03-12-2023 04:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I don't really mind those little, stray pencil marks on blank backs. If I am going to send it in to be graded (not often) I will erase them, if they can be. Otherwise, little marks don't matter much to me. This has a printed back with a stray mark on it. And it's still there.

https://luckeycards.com/pe99melchoir.jpg
And sometimes you take cards with a lot of writing on their blank back because you have only seen 2-3 of them in 25 yrs.

Vintagedeputy 03-12-2023 05:02 PM

When I find tobacco cards or something in the wild where a dealer wrote their initials or a price on it, I lose my mind. No reason for it whatsoever. A penny sleeve or a zip lock back beats damaging the item with writing.

Casey2296 03-12-2023 05:13 PM

Love those cards Brian, you don't see cards like that pop up anymore.

brianp-beme 03-12-2023 08:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Casey2296 (Post 2322967)
Love those cards Brian, you don't see cards like that pop up anymore.

Thanks Phil, they have become increasingly scarce, much like hands with 6 digits as seen in the 'claw' Zeenut.

Brian