Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   No, you're being stupid (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=139282)

mintacular 07-15-2011 08:43 PM

No, you're being stupid

I would like to be hired as a sports card moderator on eBay and when people list cards with out of line BINs, I would reject their listing with a "No, you're being stupid" in the subject line email. But in all seriousness, could there be a card website that rejects out of line $'d listings? I'm not talking about a moderator that disagrees that something is priced a just few bucks too high... Can you imagine how refreshing eBay would be if the 50-75% of BIN items were rejected for outrageous BINs? Let's face it the vast majority of cards you could boil down its value based on condition and if someone is being a d**k with their price, why should our time be wasted?

HRBAKER 07-15-2011 08:46 PM

Pat,
Your first mistake is that you are assuming that most of those cards are actually for sale. :)

mintacular 07-15-2011 08:53 PM

Butthead

This is the butthead that prompted this topic, every week I when I peruse my T205 search I have to look at this carp. Card in VG books for $45, his price in GD is $80, make sense to you!

http://cgi.ebay.com/1911-T205-EM-Reu...ht_1402wt_1185

vintagetoppsguy 07-15-2011 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HRBAKER (Post 909166)
Pat,
Your first mistake is that you are assuming that most of those cards are actually for sale. :)

Sounds funny, but I think it's actually true in a lot of cases. My friend Howard owns Houston Sports Connection and he's been in business for nearly 25 years. He has a good variety of stuff, but doesn't display any pre-war cards. He keeps some in the back, but not in the showcase. They are not advertised. You can ask to see them and he'll show them to you, but if he can't get SMR (or more) for those cards, he doesn't want to sell them. He doesn't need the money and I don't blame him for sticking to his guns.

mintacular 07-15-2011 09:20 PM

while

While I agree with the principle that you can sell stuff what you want to, those guys that have fair T206 commons for NM prices and ""you'll pay what I want you to--this card is 100 years old " are clueless pisspants, guys like the one i posted about above

Matthew H 07-15-2011 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mintacular (Post 909174)
While I agree with the principle that you can sell stuff what you want to, those guys that have fair T206 commons for NM prices and ""you'll pay what I want you to--this card is 100 years old " are clueless pisspants, guys like the one i posted about above

I don't think he listed the card for a NM price... I get what you're saying though.

bobbyw8469 07-16-2011 04:42 AM

I couldn't agree more with you Patrick! This is the listing that did it for me....

http://cgi.ebay.com/1933-Goudey-Spor...item20bb19bd40

I ended up messaging the guy and saying, "Look, I am interested, but your price is WAY too high, etc. (Like anyone wants to pay a PSA 6 price for a PSA 4).
What kills me, is these same cards are getting listed week after week after week, clogging up the searches, and the PRICES AREN'T BUDGING!! Not one stinking penny!! Maybe after a month or so, they would realize, "Hey - something just isn't working here! Maybe someone ISN'T going to pay $10 for my loaf of bread!". The only people this is helping is Ebay, who collects a listing fee, for an item that will NEVER sell (unless some fool comes along). As an afterthough, in my particular obsession, when I search for cards, alot of those cards are fakes and reprints with high prices. They too keep clogging up the searches. I emailed one seller letting him know his card was a fake, and what to look for, but it is not my job to email every single seller and let them know that noone wants to be NM price for a worthless reprint. In a nutshell, I TOO WISH THERE WAS A WAY TO CLICK ON INDIVIDUAL AUCTIONS!! A "You are Stupid" button, that would banish an auction from the search forever!

scooter729 07-16-2011 05:10 AM

Since eBay offers 50 free auction listings a month now, there is no fee for these listings. So don't expect fees to be a deterrent at all!

BasherBoy 07-16-2011 06:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scooter729 (Post 909243)
Since eBay offers 50 free auction listings a month now, there is no fee for these listings. So don't expect fees to be a deterrent at all!

+1
certain sellers trot the same over-priced crap out over and over again and it never costs them.

RichardSimon 07-16-2011 06:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scooter729 (Post 909243)

I believe that it is 50 free AUCTION listings, not BIN.
If they want to pay their 20 cents to post BINs with insane prices,, well, you cannot stop the free market in a free country.
Complain all you want, and I empathize with you but "there ain't nothin' you can do" to quote that wise philosopher Van Morrison.

BasherBoy 07-16-2011 07:38 AM

they are also giving free BIN each month...can't remember how many but as long as it's an auction style listing you get the free BIN on so many listings.

CowboysGuide 07-16-2011 07:58 AM

Not defending this type of activity, but doesn't it help these sellers business to have stock that is found when searched for via Google or other search engines besides the eBay searches? How many times have you checked these sellers other listings as a result of them having a 'rare' or popular card and found something that interests you? Maybe the answer here is no or never for most of you. Just one overpriced card means it's not worth looking at the rest of what they may have to offer.

Matthew H 07-16-2011 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 (Post 909240)
I couldn't agree more with you Patrick! This is the listing that did it for me....

http://cgi.ebay.com/1933-Goudey-Spor...item20bb19bd40

I ended up messaging the guy and saying, "Look, I am interested, but your price is WAY too high, etc. (Like anyone wants to pay a PSA 6 price for a PSA 4).

Funny, if you took away grading, eBay and PayPal fees, you'd probably be closer to the amount you'd want to pay. Maybe that's why these sellers list with BIN. Maybe they aren't willing to part with the cards unless they can recoup these fees.

Not smart in many ways but why don't you just wait for an auction? Why would anyone expect sellers to list BIN's at exact market value? Is that even possible? Just be patient and wait for an auction IMO.

atx840 07-16-2011 10:24 PM

You can easily filter out items by adding a - in front of the term when searching. T205 Cobb -reprint -reprints -2010 -etopps etc. I also use description search and filter names of sellers or words they always use for items I don't want to see listed. I then save the search as t205 cobb and use it when searching.

rhettyeakley 07-17-2011 02:57 PM

There are much bigger problems in this hobby than people selling $35-40 cards for $75-80. I understand where you are coming from and it can be frustrating but there are bigger fish to fry!